How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide

• PC

Welcome to my guide for the Front Line champion Barik, the Master Mechanic.

PROS AND CONS

--PROS--
    d96.jpg
    One of the best area denial champions in the game.
    Generally, consistently deals quite a bit of damage.
    Has the smallest hurtbox out of all the tanks.
    Has consistently good mobility for a tank.
    As I said, surprisingly versatile.

--CONS--
    avatars-000312084558-2rh9mn-t500x500.jpg
    Has the lowest health total out of all the tanks.
    Has lengthy cooldowns that can be a pain if mismanaged.
    Even after the buffs, his ultimate, Dome Shield, is the worst of all tanks.
    Can be team dependent, especially if you aren't very good with him.

Also, one VERY important point to cover is that POSITIONING IS EVERYTHING for this champion (really it is for all tanks, but Barik especially). If you are too far out of position, you more than likely will get punished for it by the enemy team if they are competent players.

Abilities

Blunderbuss
    7372082a7c90883122134745554fe2d081cd7b2cr1-256-256v2_00.jpg
    Barik fires a shot from his Blunderbuss once every second, dealing 500 damage divided between 13 pellets. Even after the buffs, in all honesty, this weapon is still pretty mediocre without Tinkerin. It can be somewhat effective at close range, but without Tinkerin, it can't really be all that effective past that point (though it has underrated Caut potential). With either build, it's best to try to aim center of mass, which is usually where their hitbox is largest (torso area on most champions). Base because it isn't really accurate enough to be worth trying for headshots and CoM is the easiest place to hit more pellets, and Tinkerin because it can't headshot (if you didn't know, now you know).

Barricade
    barricade.jpg
    On use, Barik deploys a shield in front of him with 5000 health that lasts 5 seconds (or until destroyed) and has a cooldown of 10 seconds. This shield is useful for weaving in and out of (or going in front of and then behind and back again), and it also protects you, your teammates, and your turrets. The ability really isn't very complicated, just put it down and utilize its protection as much as you can. There really is nothing else to say on this one, because it's a rather simplistic ability. Though you can turn and place the shield backwards for better frontal coverage, at the cost of being exposed from the side (as the deployable shield itself is curved).

Sentry Gun
    Ability_turret.png
    On use, Barik deploys a turret in front of him that lasts until destroyed or it takes 600 damage, deals 120 direct damage once per second, and has a cooldown of 10 seconds. Up to two turrets may be up at a time. This ability in many ways is the bread and butter of Barik's kit. For one thing, they establish his more defensive playstyle focused on area denial. For another, the turret is deceptively powerful and versatile. They can secure objectives (though they can't cap, they can help you do it), to zone enemies away from a specific area (mostly useful for choke points or flank routes), to keep a payload pushing (by applying pressure to enemies trying to keep it from pushing), or to keep your support protected while they capture the objective and you zone (by applying a decent amount of pressure and helping to dismount flankers). This ability is useful for so much... The damage might seem pretty terrible, but it's really nothing to scoff at ESPECIALLY with Architectonics. When you get games where you deal 140 or 150k damage, your turret even if you were running Tinkerin probably did at least 25k of that damage and with Architectonics, they really crank out some highly underestimated damage. But I will note that they do NOT apply on-hit effects, such as Cauterize, because they are not in-hand weapons.

Rocket Boots
    Skill_Barik_ROCKET_BOOTS.png
    On use, Barik charges forward, in any direction, for 1 second or until canceled by pressing the key or button it is bound to again (or by using another ability), on a cooldown of 12 seconds. This is usable in multiple ways. It can be used to dive in and secure a kill (but before using it this way, be ABSOLUTELY sure you would actually get the kill or at least close enough for somebody else to finish them off), it can be used to escape from a bad situation (unless you're crippled, then you're screwed), or most interesting of all it can be used to stall objectives and payloads by moving in a circle. There isn't a single talent Barik has that really buffs this ability, but I assure you that it is still nonetheless a VERY important part of Barik's kit, especially running Tinkerin as it allows you to stay safe when running that build (as it has less sustain that Architectonics builds).

ULT- Dome Shield
    Dome Shield.jpg
    On use, Barik deploys a flamethrower turret in front of him, surrounded by a shield. The turret has 2000 health and the shield has 20,000 health. This really isn't the best of ultimates as you can see, I'd probably say one of the worst if not the worst in the frontline class (Most tanks have fairly decent ultimates (some stupidly good like Ash and Makoa), though I would say that Atlas' is kind of meh as well and Khan's is REALLY buggy. Terminus though, has a very underrated ultimate, but this isn't a Terminus guide, now is it?). Back to the actual guide, this ultimate should always be saved with the intention of securing an objective. Although post-buff it does have a little bit of damage potential (key phrase here being A LITTLE BIT), it's mostly ever only really useful in securing an objective (or a payload push when your team has three points and it could win), or helping you stall so you can. It forces people out of the shield and firing into it would take a lot of damage. Although it can also be used to zone people out of corners and chokes, I'd say save it for the objective whenever possible.

Talents

Architectonics
    Architectonics.png
    What I believe to be Barik's best talent, Architectonics increases turret damage by 20% (24 per hit), and reduces the cooldown of your turrets by 3 seconds (grand total of 6 seconds for both placements). This talent is really good for zoning because it allows your turrets to be up more often and have a much more impactful dismount on their own, and it's even better for sitting on the objective because it allows your turrets to be up much more consistently. Also, with Master Riding, this talent allows you to be a nuisance on the objective early on, and forces the enemy to really pay attention to the point when they normally wouldn't. The only real cons to this talent is it requires an understanding of Barik's kit, good game sense, and that it's pretty dumb to pick into certain matchups (Terminus and Inara particularly).

Tinkerin
    Tinkerin.png
    What everyone else believes Barik's best talent is, Tinkerin modifies your Blunderbuss to fire a single slug with significantly reduced drop-off, that deals 560 damage. The talent is quite good for a playstyle a bit more focused on mid range poke. The talent is also really good with Wrecker/Bulldozer as you can make it deal consistent damage to your enemy's shields/deployables. This talent does come at a cost though. You can't headshot with it, you have less Caut potential with the single slug (though that isn't to say this talent won't apply Caut more consistently at a range, because it does), your turrets are useful for little more than healing yourself and helping you a little with flanks (turret pings), and this build has less endurance than Architectonics builds due to the lack of high health turrets (You could get Forged Alloy, but it would be more detrimental than helpful). Also, this talent requires decent aim to work.

Fortify
    Fortify.png
    This talent is trash, and frankly it's among the worst tank talents in the game along with most of the other shield talents. But, I'll give a very basic explanation (all that's needed) of why it's inferior to other talents. Wrecker. It exists. I get the CDR could maybe be enticing, but the shield health is almost worthless against a competent team that gets the appropriate amount of Wrecker and realizes you can easily go around it anyways. Even then the CDR is really not all that great considering you can get more consistent and better CDR that affects all of your abilities and not just one (One Man's Treasure).

Cards
    (Now with actual card-by-card explanations as requested by @TTraw and I didn't even realize I didn't have in the Guru guide. Also, this section is now a little better organized, sort of. )

Universal
    One Man's Treasure- This card reduces the cooldowns of your abilities by 10% upon getting an elimination. This is absolutely AMAZING for Barik, because of his long cooldowns and his propensity for getting assists. I recommend taking this rank 3 most of the time because rank 2 or lower just doesn't do all that much, but it's better to invest in more talent specific stuff than rank 4 or 5 of this card, especially considering rank 5 is really a total waste anyways.
    OMT.png
    Brave and Bold- This card increases your maximum health by 150 per rank. This card's usefulness is really self-explanatory. Taking more hits = more time on the objective and more time zoning, as well as less time harassing your healer. On my Guru guide at the moment it says to only take rank 2 of this card, but I intend to revise it to this version that will say rank 3 or you may even decide to take rank 4, but you'd have to take off a point from something else.
    BaB.png
    Failsafe- This card grants you a free use of Rocket Boots when you hit 10(rank)% of your maximum health or lower from an attack, on a cooldown of 30 seconds. This is probably one of Barik's best cards as it allows him to reliably have Rocket Boots at low health. I'd suggest if you do take this card, run it rank 3. Rank 2 isn't really enough to keep you safe from larger bursts of damage (a Strix body-shot would kill you regardless of BaB rank while it will not with rank 3 regardless of BaB rank), but Rank 4 is never really necessary and there's better places for that investment.
    Failsafe.png

Architectonics
    Forged Alloy- This card increases your turret health by 175 per rank. This card is an absurdly obvious choice for an Architectonics loadout as it allows your turrets to have real durability. Turrets with better longevity = better area denial and more turret damage. Seems simple enough logically. This card should always be taken rank 4. Rank 5 is unnecessary and rank 3 isn't enough to keep your turrets up consistently.
    Forged.png
    Bowling Ball- This card grants you a 300(rank) shield for 2 seconds after using Rocket Boots. This card is best for Tinkerin builds, though it's also a great situational choice for Architectonics builds. This card is counterable with Wrecker, but really even considering that, the shield is very useful for Tinkerin especially as the talent has more trouble with sustain. This card should always be taken rank 2 as that's how many points you will have left.
    BB.png
    Accelerator Field- This card grants you and allies 10(rank)% movement speed for 3 seconds after moving through Barricade. This is the most controversial choice I'm outlining in this guide, but here's why I think it's a decent situational choice for this talent. This card is great for weaving in and out of shields. Weaving in and out of shields makes it easier to dodge or negate potential damage with the shield, making this a good option for threatening damage from medium/long range, like from a sniper or an Evie. Take this rank 2.
    Accelerator Field.png
    Combat Repair- This card allows you to heal nearby turrets (within 30 units? Correct me if I'm wrong) for 100 health per rank per second. This card is probably the worst of the situational cards for Architectonics, though it does have an obvious use as a way to keep your turrets up. The issue lies in this card really being countered by pelting enough damage into the turrets and sufficient Bulldozer. It's still a useful card to dump a couple of ranks into, though if you feel that your turrets are going to really need the sustain.
    Combat Repair.png
    Why Not Healing Station? Simply, other cards are more necessary and it doesn't stack per turret, plus the main way it is used in Tinkerin builds is to heal you at range while you're safe from Caut, which just doesn't happen as often for Architectonics builds.

Tinkerin
    Bowling Ball- This card grants you a 300(rank) shield for 2 seconds after using Rocket Boots. This card is particularly useful to Tinkerin builds as it allows you to sustain while you're running away or diving or stalling. This card is counterable with Wrecker, but really even considering that, the shield is very useful for Tinkerin especially as the talent has more trouble with sustain. This card could have anywhere between rank 2 and rank 4 really, most depending on preference of this over Healing Station. Past that would mess with other parts of the build.
    BB.png
    Healing Station- This card allows you to heal 45(rank) per second when there is a turret nearby (by the way, the healing does not stack for 2 turrets). This card is quite good for Tinkerin builds as you can back up, place a turret, and heal off of it while being effectively able to poke. It grants some very necessary sustain to the build that it really needs. I suggest taking this between rank 2 and rank 4 depending on what rank you have Bowling Ball.
    Heal Station.png
    Failsafe- This card as already stated in the Architectonics section, grants a free use of Rocket Boots when you get below 10(rank)% of your maximum health. This card is so necessary in a Tinkerin build, as it is really what allows you to utilize Bowling Ball. It also helps keep you safe from potential bursts of damage and gives you a reliable way to get out of fights. I would suggest taking this rank 3, as any higher would not really do any good and lower than that it's not as reliable.
    Failsafe.png
    Why Not Forged Alloy or Red Streak? These two both could be plausibly decent for these builds, but I suggest you to run neither. Either would force out a better card for the build. Forged Alloy sure could better guarantee turret healing, but the cost isn't worth it. As for Red Streak, Failsafe is straight-up better and more consistent.
    Why Not Accelerator Field? It is simply not a good fit for a Tinkerin build, to be honest, as these builds prefer being further from the fight anyways.

Bad Cards
    One Man's Scrap- Cauterize: Exists. Even if it didn't, this card's healing is very mediocre and requires a very specific circumstance to trigger, so in other words it's complete $#!+.
    Most Barricade Cards- None of them are good except Accelerator Field. Palisade was before it was nerfed. It's useless considering max rank it only lowers Barricade's CD by 2 seconds.
    Double Time- Moving faster in your F is gimmicky at best, and completely pointless at worst. The use it does have is negated by the fact it makes it harder for your support to heal you.
    Fuel Efficiency- Sounds okay until you realize you'll never really need that extra .3 seconds or so on your dash. Anything higher than that would be a total waste of investment anyways.
    Red Streak- I already went over this, but to say the same thing again with a few more words, Failsafe is simply straight-up better at exactly what Red Streak does.
    Field Deploy- After some recent experimenting, I have found that Field Deploy really isn't a great choice in Barik builds, though it's not NECESSARILY bad.

Items
    Items.png
    Legend:
    (Star- Take Every Match)
    (Circle- Situational Choices)
    (X- Basically Always Bad)
    (Master Riding- Star for Architectonics, Circle for Tinkerin)

-Note that these suggestions are for games with relatively normal compositions. If you absolutely have to buy Illuminate or if you legitimately don't have a single support on your team and decide to buy a Blue instead of Rejuvenate, OK I suppose. Also, Kill to Heal isn't downright terrible, but has absolutely horrible scaling and ends up being not worth it, although it's theoretically useful. But otherwise, there isn't a single X item that has a use-

Master Riding- For an Architectonics build, the first rank of this item should be bought at the very start of the game. Master Riding is essential for the turret-based Architectonics as it allows you to get to points and flank routes faster to set up. Though I would suggest only sitting on rank 1 as rank 2 is rarely necessary but high rank Rejuvenate and Cauterize will be. For a Tinkerin build, you could run this is if you feel like you really need it to apply more pressure to the point, though I'd generally suggest avoiding using it in Tinkerin builds 90% of the time.

Rejuvenate- This item should always be taken as soon as possible after the first item for either build. For one it is common courtesy to your support. This applies to every tank and not just Barik. Honestly, for Inara I'd say taking it first isn't really a bad idea if you have a Solar Blessing Furia or a Rampant Blooming Grover as your healer. But this is a Barik guide. This item should also be maxed out as soon as possible.

Cauterize- This item is really an absolute must on most champions and Barik is no exception. When running Tinkerin, I'd always take this at the very start of the game for obvious enough reasons. (it can apply Caut reliably at range). For Architectonics, I'd always recommend taking this after Rejuvenate or at the same time if you have at least 500 credits. This item is really so absurdly broken that not getting it frankly is a real shame on you (at least, for most characters). Also, max this as soon as possible along with Rejuvenate.

Wrecker- This item is a good situational option for if the enemy frontline is heavy on shields, especially if there's also a Vivian on the enemy team. I'd definitely take this with Tinkerin in this circumstance, and maybe also with Architectonics as long as you don't need a blue more (though you normally probably will). If you do take this, do not invest into this nearly as much as you would into Cauterize or Rejuvenate.

Bulldozer- Basically Wrecker, but cheaper and it affects deployables like Barik turrets (if you're playing mirrors in a casual game), Luna, Imani's dragon, and Ying illusions. Really it.

Resilience- Take this if you're having trouble with characters with a lot of crowd control. Especial problems for Barik on this front include: Pip, Inara, and Evie. Though against a problematic Evie I'd personally be more inclined to take Blast Shields most of the time, this item is a better choice if the CC is what's killing you and not the blast damage. This like any Blue item on Barik shouldn't really be specced into too early unless you're having a real issue with CC. Otherwise, wait until you've at least gotten Cauterize and Rejuvenate both to rank 2. I would personally buy this or other blues often on Architectonics builds, and about half the time on Tinkerin because the situations you'll need them arise pretty often.

Blast Shields/Haven- Take one of these if you are having trouble with blast/direct damage. Blast is generally more problematic for Barik, though some direct damage characters like Strix and Viktor can be serious threats. Though against Viktor it really depends on the composition he's in whether I'd say go Haven or go Blast Shields instead for his grenades and missiles. I'd make similar suggestions on when to buy it and how much of it as I would Resilience, since these are all defensive item buys that you consider in the situation you need to.

Matchups

(Difficulties are in comparison to other champions with an emphasis on other tanks)

Very Easy: Androxus, Buck, Jenos, Maeve, Torvald, Mal'Damba
    Easy: Ying, Koga, Skye, Zhin, Khan, Talus, Makoa, Ruckus, Imani
    Medium: Moji, Grover, Io, Bomb King, Lex, Fernando, Furia, Seris, Ash, Cassie, Lian
    Hard: Atlas, Grohk, Dredge, Kinessa, Pip, Vivian, Inara, Tyra, Sha'Lin
    Very Hard: Strix, Drogoz, Terminus, Viktor, Evie, Willo

Changelog

09/15/19- Guide Released, but still in a state that's very much a WIP. Intending to add a proper Matchups section as well as a Positioning and possibly a Maps section in the future, they didn't make it in here originally due to the length as well as some difficulties writing the Matchups section in particular. (Guide in its original state alone was 9 pages long in Word, by the way).
    09/26/19- Architectonics build has been adjusted, as I've been experimenting with a better build option. Even if he was REALLY rude about it, I did test out @TangAce's suggestion and it really does work a bit better. Not a lot, though. I still think Field Deploy is viable, but the option laid out in the build is better.

This guide is very much a WIP

If you couldn't tell by the formatting looking the way it does...

Note: This guide is made with the intention of explaining the way I play the champion, and not just restating the meta way of playing the character.

• PC

RESERVED FOR ADDITIONS TO THIS GUIDE

• Kill to heal is amazing with Barik as turrets give you eliminations as well.

• PC

@Gao-Shun It could be a good item if it scaled better late, and Cauterize weren't such a huge problem. It usually ends up being better to take a blue item instead for sustain.

• PC

okay I gotta say a few things about this guide

first, it looks good, better than my usual bunch of text

second, barik's ult is indeed total shit xD but it's an area denial, can be used not only for objective, but in a more aggressive way, you rush enemy backline, you ult, they split up cause it's in the middle of them, you and the team kill them all, you should also say that you shouldn't use it when you are low health, since you'll be likely to die during cast or even after cast, should also mention that it's very very slow to charge up so you gotta use it wisely

then, architectonics is pretty good, but, tinkerin is the best, and there is no denying that, it's not the best because of damage or anything, it's the best because it's more consistent than a shotgun, and more important because you can deal damage at range with tinkerin, most damage and support won't get close to you, they'll just kill you from range and you won't be able to do anything, with tinkerin you can threaten them, note that barik's weapon has less falloff than lian's
    also note that good players will destroy your turrets, that you ain't the only applying caut, and that barik is a damn killing machine who can easily carry a game if played properly

but what's even more important, you say that barik has low health, yeah true, the reason is that he has bowling ball
    not to use bowling ball is like saying you wanna feed, this card should be in any barik deck at least at lvl 3, and the reset card of course should also be in any deck at lvl 2 or 3
    if you don't use this card it's like you don't use barik, it was made part of his gameplay and barik is balanced according to these cards
    why don't you use healing station with archi is something I don't understand
    the cdr on elim is mediocre at best, you won't get that much out of it, more importantly you don't need it if you know how to manage cooldowns, barik only has defensive abilities, you have nothing to bully enemies kill after kill like lian for exemple, so why would you need that? to survive? imagine running this card on inara, who would do that?
    don't tell me to survive please, barik is the tank I die the less with, he's just unkillable and has freaking op damage potential
    you can look my decks if ya want, but I'm running ball at 5 and the reset at 3, with some health and healing station

the item section is totally good, wrecker is kinda mediocre on barik tho, I would prefer a teammate to take it

in terms of matchup I don't totally agree, evie is one of the easiest flank to destroy with barik, at least barik is the tank who can annoy evie the most
    tyra or sha are very easy to deal with, especially sha who struggle against temporary shields a lot, in terms of tanks koa and atlas are probably the hardest one since they are so op, terminus is totally fine to duel with barik, and I'm not that afraid of drogoz cause ik I can kill him, anyway it's not super relevant since it's a team game, but most tanks are able to 1v1 most damage and flankers, and you'll probably won't have a 1v1 against a support and anyway they wouldn't be able to kill you

oh and I'm gonna repeat myself but please bowling ball is the basic for barik really, and you can't possibly do has much with archi and without bowling ball
    I didn't say it but accelerator field sucks, people will buy wrecker against barik, and if you know how to properly use shield you don't need this card as you won't even go trough the shield
    and even with archi field deploy isn't that good, there are better cards

also please note that you can cancel rocket boost, very useful if you only want to trigger bowling ball

I surely could write a ton of other stuff, like turret positioning and such but I won't, it's not my guide

this was just my opinion, don't take it personally or something, if you wanna believe archi is the best then feel free, but I'm not sure teaching that to new players gonna help them, I mean yeah it's decent, but like it'll only work in low elo, every new player I played with and told about tinkerin told me that it changes everything, no one will come back to play archi after trying tinkerin

you forgot the most important thing, barik, has big head, for his big brain, but it also means no one will miss it, maybe koa's bigger but like decent player will hit it regularly, good players will hit it 75% of the time
    it's damn so big, I'd say only pip and koa are easier to hit, barik definitely third in the biggest head list :3

• Switch

@Dusklicious said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

Items.png

I have a question, as a barik main, Why do you think chronos is useless for barik?
    It's my most picked item.

• I am questioning the Nimble was neglected.
    Barik has no movement speed debuff on his attacks thus it allows Barik to set up in positions and fall back much faster, or get into peoples faces faster for your shotgun, it is worthwhile in order to always stay just out of range.

Better when combined with Accelerator Field, Nimble can good with your shield to keep your line of sight covered as you retreat from your opponent, or duke them in a fight.

I'm not the biggest fan of Master Riding on Barik unless you have bowling ball and dash reset, with an ally on standby to profit of Barik's tank and the initial position advantage. Even so I find nimble being something that I would advise for an alternate armour card for Barik as his small hit box makes it pretty good for walling off a foe behind cover like the payload or half height terrain.

• A very detailed and informative guide. One can see you've put some thoughts into this. I disagree just with a few points.

Barik's ult is not that bad. It is very reliable. A Khan ult can miss, an Ash ult can be interrupted, a Torv or Nando ult can be useless. The Barik ult is always useful, the shield offers protection for him and his team, the turret additional damage and 225 heal/second with healing station. In a close fight this will usually mean victory. Worst tank ult is Inara in my opinion, Barik ult is at least average.

I personally use Healing Station V and Bowling Ball V and Fail Safe III with architectonics. I don't think it depends on the Talent but on the playstyle if those cards are useful. I usually don't go to point but place my turrets somewhat behind to support the main tank or the back line. It's not like one is either focussed by the other team or gets no damage at all. Often only the tanks shoot Barik because only they have line of sight or he gets splash damage. 225 heal per second is more than a Jenos healing mark. It's hard to tell how effective this really is without a self-heal statistic after the match but it sounds very nice. Compared to that it seems less important if the turret starts shooting after 2 or 4 seconds.

I have no doubt though about the Bowling+Fail combo. This is a 1.5K shield just when you need it the most. If I can use this twice I usually manage to escape around the nearest corner.

@TangAce
    I don't think Barik has so low HP because of Bowling Ball, this is because of his turrets. Since he has deploys fighting for him he must be more vulnerable himself or it would be too strong, and first the turrets were even stronger than now.

I tried Tinkering more than once, because everybody and their mother claim this is so OP but never managed to make this work. So I returned to Architectonics. Judged by the winrate at better meta this Talent at least works fine up till Grandmaster.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0

at first yeah his low hp was due to turret, but during that last year, he's been balanced according to bowling ball

tinkerin is just so great, obviously you won't place turrets the same as with archi, it'll maybe work in ranked until a certain rank, cause people are dumb enough not to destroy turrets lel, but at a point someone will think to shoot once every time u put a turret and archi becomes useless
    as I said it's not a bad talent, just countered by the cheapest item if you increase their life, and if you don't one bullet is enough to destroy it

• @TangAce said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

@M3RC3N4RI0

at first yeah his low hp was due to turret, but during that last year, he's been balanced according to bowling ball

tinkerin is just so great, obviously you won't place turrets the same as with archi, it'll maybe work in ranked until a certain rank, cause people are dumb enough not to destroy turrets lel, but at a point someone will think to shoot once every time u put a turret and archi becomes useless
    as I said it's not a bad talent, just countered by the cheapest item if you increase their life, and if you don't one bullet is enough to destroy it

Assumed that every champ of the other team takes bulldozer. Then I can still place them out of sight and they will shoot attacking flanks and heal me. My experience playing against Barik is, that even with bulldozer it's still annoying to have to shoot at turrets instead of shooting at enemies.

• PC

@a_a said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

@Dusklicious said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

Items.png

I have a question, as a barik main, Why do you think chronos is useless for barik?
    It's my most picked item.

Chronos isn't worth the investment. Maxing out a 2400 credit item just to do something you could do with a level 3 card, albeit with less consistency, seems very pointless. Plus it takes up an item slot.

@AYYDIMITRI Nimble doesn't really have much of a purpose. Sure Barik lacks movement speed, but he surely doesn't lack in mobility. Not to mention, a slight increase to low movement speed isn't going to really affect him any.

@TangAce Don't act like your opinion is fact please. With that out of the way:
    As for the matchups:
    Evie- I have no idea why Evie wouldn't be a problem. She can dodge literally any of the damage you can throw at her, then burst you and your turrets. With her ult up, its literally a guaranteed kill for her. Though all of the other flanks are relatively easy, I don't think Evie is.
    Terminus- I don't think you've faced a good Terminus. I play Terminus a lot as well and I regard Barik as literally free as long as you run Crush. The stun plus the burst is downright fatal for Barik. Not to mention, he's absurd with Bulldozer.
    Tyra- Not really, no. She's potentially easy to deal with considering her lack of mobility, but her fire bombs are a serious threat. They can melt you and your turrets and even cripple you if she's running Burn, Monster
    Sha- He can destroy your shield VERY quickly with enough Wrecker, not to mention he can easily melt you from a range you can't really deal with him at. I lump him with other snipers for those reasons.
    Drogoz- You haven't faced a good one then if he allows you to consistently hit him while he's in the air. Yeah he is significantly easier with Tinkerin, but even then his ult can be a serious problem if used competently. Not to mention, Salvo is also a serious problem especially if he's running Wrecker.

Bowling Ball isn't really basic for Archi, at all. It needs Failsafe to be consistent, so to put it in every build would require you to forgo any situational choices like Combat Repair. I did see this and I think maybe I could replace Field Deploy with Failsafe so it can be optionally ran, although only at rank 2. I'd have to see how it feels first. If it feels like the deploy time is better or the dashes. I could see that going either way to be honest.

You believe what you believe, I'll believe what I believe. By the way, Architectonics has a 1% higher winrate than Tink as of now according to Better Meta. I don't really appreciate somebody telling me how to build or play my main, that I've played over 900 games with.

• PC

@Dusklicious

I play evie a lot, I can tell you that barik is annoying af, turrets manage to hit you while you fly, one shot is 1/3 of your life (and it's not that complicated to hit evie on her tp or during soar while playing barik, at least I'm able to do it)

if you are playing archi than yeah term is a problem, with tinkerin it's not that hard since you can stay at range...

tyra's fire is so easy to avoid, you can see it coming from mile away

sha lin needs at least 10 shots if he don't miss anything, 10 shots is 10sec, if you can't kill sha in 10sec then there's a problem with you, he's literally the worst damage against barik

I play in master and gm, I think I face good drogoz

I'm not even taking about the fact that you put khan cassie lian and talus into medium

bowling ball is the most important card for barik, everyone will tell you the same
    it's not even my opinion here, it's just how it is, and everyone plays failsafe for obvious reasons, reset cards like failsafe

I don't think you understand how stats work, the winrate displayed is not the absolute truth, there are maybe 2% players using archi and everyone else using tinkerin, so obviously the winrate doesn't have the same precision, pls learn how to read graphs on thebettermeta

I have played every champ for many hours, I have over 2000 hours in this game, I mean in a match not in the menus (counting smurfs here) I think I can tell how to play barik who's one of the tanks I play the best
    I play in master so maybe your elo is lower and archi is working for you there

I'm not gonna tell you how to, just saying if you write a guide you gotta at least know the matchup and correct builds, saying to people not to play bowling ball is really not something I can overlook

you're free to believe archi is better if ya want, but I don't want a bunch of people coming into ranked playing archi instead of tinkerin just cause they saw it in forum

• @Dusklicious said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

You believe what you believe, I'll believe what I believe. By the way, Architectonics has a 1% higher winrate than Tink as of now according to Better Meta.

And that is only the overall winrate. If you pick 2500+ (mid Platinum) Architectonics is already 5% better than Tinkering. On 2700+ (Diamond) it's 6% better and on 3000+ (Master) it's 8% better. Which means the higher the skill the worse is Tinkering compared to Architectonics. Even Fortify has a better winrate than Tinkering. What makes me think that Tink gives a personal feeling of doing better because the shooting is something I do myself while the turret damage and the shots wasted on turrets is something I don't experience unlike the hits I do with Tinkering.

@TangAce said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

I don't think you understand how stats work, the winrate displayed is not the absolute truth, there are maybe 2% players using archi and everyone else using tinkerin

It's 35% of the ranked players using Architectonics, in absolute numbers in 6583 of ~18000 matches archi was used, which is more than enough to make a proper statistic. Lets stay with constructive criticism, I'd appreciate that. 😉

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

It's 35% of the ranked players using Architectonics, in absolute numbers in 6583 of ~18000 matches archi was used, which is more than enough to make a proper statistic. Lets stay with constructive criticism, I'd appreciate that. 😉

I have a feeling he didn't look up the stats himself, and just tried to silence my case for Architectonics.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated, but I've seen plenty of non-constructive criticism here in a couple of particular replies. I've tried to address any reasonable critiques and questions I have seen concerning this guide and give as satisfactory of replies to the suggestions that I have seen.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0

that's exactly what I was saying, you're all looking at 2500 rating lel, 2500 is plat, once you reach the 2700 cap which correspond to diamond, you see that archi is played by less than 10% which isn't enough to have proper stats, you can say it has higher winrate in master but it's totally irrelevant considering the number of matches it was played
    then if you look at damage / elims / deaths part of the same graph, you'll see that tinkerin is better in all 3 stats, but sure keep saying archi is better...people do get carried even in master, so yeah obviously most winrates are close, but when you look deeper you clearly see what are the best talents

anyway I already explained enough why tinkerin is way better, on a side note you'll never see ppl players with archi 😉

@Dusklicious
    I look up at thebettermeta regularly, I have used these graphs since they came out
    we could ask some other players what they think but I'm pretty sure they would be on my side concerning most of my points
    then you don't have much credibility when you say that sha can easily kill barik or that talus is not so hard to deal with, I can understand how one can feel like evie is a tough matchup while it's not, but saying sha is harder to deal with than talus while being barik? lel one kills you in about 2sec while the other needs at least 10sec, one has the best movement speed in the game + a failsafe ability, while the other has crappy movement and well nothing that other champs won't do better
    not even gonna explain why you shouldn't say nara is a tough matchup, really barik is one of the 2 tanks who can contest her, how is that tough?

• PC

This post is deleted!

Let's try to keep this civil please! It's only one person's guide, not the law on how to play him. If we have different opinions, that's fine, but here isn't the place to argue over them.

• PC

This post is deleted!

• @TangAce said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

that's exactly what I was saying, you're all looking at 2500 rating lel, 2500 is plat

Yes, I am looking at Platin. The players from PPL don't need guides. The guides are for the 98% who play below Diamond. For those it's relevant what works below Diamond, not what works in the PPL.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

@TangAce said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide:

that's exactly what I was saying, you're all looking at 2500 rating lel, 2500 is plat

Yes, I am looking at Platin. The players from PPL don't need guides. The guides are for the 98% who play below Diamond. For those it's relevant what works below Diamond, not what works in the PPL.

Even then, people in Diamond+ almost always play a specific way, even if it isn't always the most effective, because that's just what's in the meta at that time. I've noticed that most higher level players aren't all that open to strategies different than their own, and they sometimes resort to elitism as an argument.

My advice would be to just ignore this guy at this point. He's proven that all he wants to do is try to smear my guide simply because I'm not Diamond+ (I was Platinum IV in the last split). His credibility here anyways would be shot by his Barik stats being a ways worse than mine are, and also there's the fact he literally has an 1/8 of my experience with the champion.