[LORE] Champions Relationships

• PC

Hello,
    I finally updated my chart presenting most relationships between champions
    this is all based on cinematics, stories, voice lines, champions descriptions, and a bit from past devstreams

If you have any questions or want to know where does a relation comes from, just ask me
    If you have any remarks or feedbacks or If you have proof of a relation I didn't put in the chart or if one relation if false or inaccurate, you are welcome to point it out (especially since I haven't watched all devstreams, it's very likely I miss some infos)

Champion Relationships Chart
    Download link

• PC

Nice. I love how you describe some of them.

I've read people saying that the abyss and the void were the same things, but I always thought the void was just space in general. And even in Seris' bio in-game, it says she comes from a place beyond the void called the abyss. So they have to be two different places/things. Not to mention the two different entities (darkness - void, abyssal creatures - abyss) look completely different with the former being large alien tentacle things with sharp teeth and the later resembling dark, necromantic skeleton beats.

Also, Jenos and Io are celestial friends, don't forget that. And would it make sense to add Luna with Io since she is technically a living champion as well? At least, that's what the devs thought of her as.
    I think it's reasonable to note as well that Io seems to be at ends with the Pyre as her kill taunt to Furia is, "The Pyre holds no power over us!" Jenos too, as he had stated in the short stories that Furia's opinion of the Shattered Desert was one thing they could agree upon. So it seems that the Pyre and the Celestials don't see eye to eye very well.

And finally, the Androxus having 'sacrificed Seris to the abyss when he was human', that was some Magistrate guard that we've seen pop up in the short stories/cinematic of Atlas' lore and in Io's cinematic lore. I'm sure there's an image of him that you can include on this wonderful chart. Other than that, I think it's great!

• PC

@BaeWulf95

apparently, Abyss is the place, and Void the deity, the Darkness being something else we don't know much about

yes, I have just added Io, I need to work on her lore

I'm not quite sure what part andro had in Seris sacrifice, but probably he was there and had a role that we don't know of yet
    many told me that the fact andro was cursed by Abyss/Void is just a theory, but recently I found that's it's not a theory but something we know since a long time
    I didn't know about Void until recently (someone pointed it out to me) and then I remembered a voice line from andro about Void, so I'm pretty sure void cursed andro, plus if you add the fact that in andro's description it's mentioned as "a deceitful deity" which totally correspond to Void since the Abyss claimed a soul, but took a body instead, then what I believe is that andro tried to save seris, and got cursed for it

I'll do some researches about that guard

• I think there is a "defender of nature" group that includes Makoa, Grover, Moji and Willow. If Moji kills Makoa e.g. she says: "I didn't mean it Makoa."

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0

there might, but that's weird, Willo is just there to kill anyone as said in her description, while koa and grover are clearly fighting with the paladins as we see them in numerous Lore stories
    they might be friends however, anyway as it is unclear I didn't put it, or maybe it's because koa is an ancient, and willo respect him? no idea

also I'd like to add, maeve probably have tons of relations, but it's all unclear so I put her appart
    I'll probably write post where I talk a bit about her

• @TangAce said in [LORE] Champions Relationships:

there might, but that's weird, Willo is just there to kill anyone as said in her description

Willow: Though short-lived and even-tempered, the faeries of the Summer Court wage an endless war against the encroachment of modern civilization...Willo has taken it upon herself to attack both the Magistrate and the Resistance against them.

Grover: Hoisting his trusty axe, he stomps into battle once again, intent on destroying anything and anyone who would harm the natural world.

Their motivation is described similar.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0
    yes I know, but grover appears multiple time in company of the paladins while willo doesn't, so they are indeed friends as the chart shows, but grover fights among the paladins right now while willo doesn't

• about Androxus while him and Seris have voice lines together. It was said that Androxus was cursed by an evil god he killed hence the name godslayer. I doubt the abyss was the cause of what happened to him. Also the man who sacrificed Seris wields a knife while Androxus was Lex's partner who wielded a pistol similar to his. That man was also present during the ritual to release the darkness in Io's lore.

• PC

@FarceDawn
    actually we have no proof he killed a god, only the title make reference to this but I'm pretty sure it's Void who cursed him since many of his voice lines refers to Void, plus it is said that andro has a hunger for souls, and who likes to collect souls?

and I know about that man, but andro may have been there too, and may have tried to save seris or something

on a side note, it is technically not possible to kill a god, since you know they are gods, I guess...

I can't be 100% sure of all this but it makes sense
    but yeah it's still a mystery what happened to andro and who is that man

• PC

@TangAce said in [LORE] Champions Relationships:

actually we have no proof he killed a god, only the title make reference to this but I'm pretty sure it's Void who cursed him since many of his voice lines refers to Void

Him having killed a god or goddess comes from his old lore, people just get things mixed up. And Androxus only mentions the void once in his voice lines.

plus it is said that andro has a hunger for souls, and who likes to collect souls?

Seris a.k.a the abyss. Who also has a lot of voice lines directed towards Androxus.

and I know about that man, but andro may have been there too, and may have tried to save seris or something

But we have absolutely no proof of this, not a mention nor hint. Nothing. This is just wild thinking based of off what sounds like a 'what if' scenario someone randomly came up with. Don't get me wrong though, the idea is entertaining, but unless there is any evidence, I'd leave it out of lore for now.

on a side note, it is technically not possible to kill a god, since you know they are gods, I guess...

Fantasy, man. You can do whatever you want if you can properly explain it.

I always thought it was Wekono that Androxus killed? Or at least someone related to her.

• PC

@BaeWulf95
    yeah like many things it's theory, but it's very likely Void cursed androxus, souls, voice lines, the fact that Void totally correspond to the "deceitful godess" in andro's lore
    of course it could be something totally different, but as the lore is now I'm quite sure andro and Void are connected somehow, there are many voice lines and other hints about that so it's very likely

also other stuff like the fact that seris removed the curse from cassie are not said clearly, yet it's almost certain it was like this

even the relation between zhin and lian is theory, but paladins lore is mysterious, if I only takent said facts then what would be the purpose of this chart? only to sum up a bit what we know from cinematics? I searched every voice line and other stuff to try and dig up hidden infos giving hints about the lore, so I'm showing what got out of my researches

but if you got any proof an info is incorrect just tell me and I'll modify, as said, I don't know everything lore related, for exemple the fact that lian is at the origin of BK is something someone told me from an old devstream

@Peinzius said in [LORE] Champions Relationships:

I always thought it was Wekono that Androxus killed? Or at least someone related to her.

Weirdly many think the same, probably because of andro's green accent colors I guess?
    yet I don't think wekono fits this role

oh, by the way, what do you guys think about the Torv/Talus relation?
    also I'm quite unsure of the exact nature of what links koa and talus

and do any of you know something about evie or pip that could relate them to someone?
    as for maeve I really need to take some time to write some theories related to her

@TangAce

I thought it was sort of retconned somewhere that he was linked to Wekono, but I might be imagining it.

Makoa and Talus are linked since Makoa was the ancient protector of the Skaa'drin.

• PC

@Peinzius
    I know they are linked, but I'm unsure of if they are rather god/worshiper than friends

• PC

@TangAce said in [LORE] Champions Relationships:

@BaeWulf95
    yeah like many things it's theory, but it's very likely Void cursed androxus, souls, voice lines, the fact that Void totally correspond to the "deceitful godess" in andro's lore
    of course it could be something totally different, but as the lore is now I'm quite sure andro and Void are connected somehow, there are many voice lines and other hints about that so it's very likely

I don't know, I mean Seris' voice line towards Androxus literally says, "The Abyss has treated you well, Androxus." And since he was "afflicted with an otherworldly disease dooming him with an endless hunger for souls" it seems more likely that the Abyss is what cursed him rather than the void as Seris says things like, "Your soul is mine." or "Surrender your soul to the Abyss." and "The Abyss comes to collect." And let's not forget her voice line of "Behold the rider upon a pale steed." which corresponds to the pale horseman of the apocalypse that stands for death.
    What I'm saying is that using context clues, it is easy to assume that the Abyss or a goddess from/or in relations to the Abyss cursed Androxus. And that also includes the fact that I see the Abyss and the void as two different things. But again, as you said, it's theory.

also other stuff like the fact that seris removed the curse from cassie are not said clearly, yet it's almost certain it was like this

I know about that and you're right, it is almost certain it was Seris because is says in Cassie's lore that, "when a mysterious oracle offered her an escape from her obligations," and the only oracle we have (at least for now) is Seris. Again, context clues: something that hints us to the answer or otherwise suggests it. So yes, it would be safe to assume for now as the lore is that Seris freed Cassie from her curse.

even the relation between zhin and lian is theory, but paladins lore is mysterious,

Indeed it is, and I love discussing it 🙂

if I only takent said facts then what would be the purpose of this chart? only to sum up a bit what we know from cinematics? I searched every voice line and other stuff to try and dig up hidden infos giving hints about the lore, so I'm showing what got out of my researches

Speaking of the cinematic/Youtube videos, I know that a lot of people are confused about the lore because there are so many holes and plot points that don't make sense due to them contradicting other aspects of the lore. And to answer this (imo) is to simply say that not all the videos we have can be canon to lore. Take for instance the official launch trailer for Paladins for its graduation out of beta. I've read that some of the community thinks this is part of the lore, but I only see it as a trailer to advertise the game and has nothing to do with the lore hence why Drogoz, Talus, Lian, Fernando, and Kinessa are together as a team even though they're all from different factions. It's because that's how it is in the game. Now the videos that say LORE on them like Jenos and Khan's origin video in Seige of Ascension Peak as well as Seris/Furia, Koga, etc. they're lore videos. The ones previously with Lex hunting Andro and Zhin and Maeve get involved, I have no idea. But that's just my view on it and I really think Evil Mojo should clarify these things for us, among other things.

as said, I don't know everything lore related, for exemple the fact that lian is at the origin of BK is something someone told me from an old devstream

It states in Bomb King's lore that, "During a fortress siege long ago, a clever warlord decided that the best way to breach her enemy's defenses was by creating walking bombs." and this is the part about context clues that I think people should be wary of--that not everything said will include any of the champions from the roster. Long ago is the keyword in that sentence that I take into account and it makes me believe that is warlord was not Lian. It's the same as it was with Atlas and who his mother might have been. People were theorizing that it was Kinessa or Imani, but it wasn't. It was just a random citizen of the realm as the devs confirmed it. Just because that woman was black doesn't mean she has to be any of the black champions we have. It can very well be the same for this warlord in BK's lore and I believe it is not Lian solely due to the expressed timeline. The timeline of which is also not very clear. Geez EM, get your stuff together and clarify your lore, please.

oh, by the way, what do you guys think about the Torv/Talus relation?
    also I'm quite unsure of the exact nature of what links koa and talus
    and do any of you know something about evie or pip that could relate them to someone?
    as for maeve I really need to take some time to write some theories related to her

Torvald and Talus are interesting because Talus says, "That glove... That magic... It doesn't belong to you!" and, "You're messing with power you don't understand!" as kill taunts to Torvald. Now we could assume that Torvald happened upon some Ska'drin runes and used them for his gauntlet or whatever. But given how Torvald acts as well as Talus, I see the two interacting friendly toward each other after coming to an understanding. Torv seems like a nice old man (grandpa material) and Talus is just a little kid that may be in over his head at times. Perfect grandpa and bold, energetic young kid combo.

As for Evie: "After cleverly tricking and imprisoning a great frost elemental in a magical gemstone, Evie went from apprentice sorceress to winter witch overnight. Though no longer welcome in her home village, which she left to an uncertain fate, she found her talents to be in high demand in the war against the Magistrate.
    Her true motivations are as mysterious as the exact details of her background, though, causing her allies to question her loyalty as well as how long she can really hope to keep the vengeful elemental contained."

The last bit makes me assume she's with the Paladins. As for her leaving her home village to an uncertain fate, there was a theory some time ago that the snowfield outside of the snowy onslaught map may have been the result of her doing. As for her mysterious background, her previous lore said that she was over hundreds of years old and a lot of people still believe this is the case with the new canon lore. I don't know about this though.

For Pip, I got nothing. All I know is that he's with the Paladins.
    And finally, for Maeve, I know Seris has a voice line toward her saying, "Those eyes...". It's interesting, to say the least.

• Wait, I thought Viktor was on Paladins side after he was demoted. So he left the Magistrate.
    What about the part when Khan threw (old) Viktor off Jenos' mountain?

• PC

@Gao-Shun Nah, Viktor's still with the Magistrate. And with him having been tossed off the mountain (Bwahahahaha) people theorize that he tried to disobey Khan or was getting in Khan's way because Khan's allegence is first to House Aico, then the Magistrate. Viktor might have been calling him out on what they really planned to do with Jenos (since it said in the lore video that Lian and House Aico would become more powerful then ever before).

Who knows, I actually like the idea of individuals within the Magistrate having their own plans. Allows for them to separate and possibly develop some redeeming qualities, then only a few guys of the Magistrate would be 'evil' instead of them as a whole.

• @BaeWulf95 wow that's actually pretty interesting point of view. And completely makes sense
    For me, I have always thought that was the death of old Viktor and he was replaced with the new Viktor (Viktor could be just a codename)

Personally like the thousand hands and nature factions, guys who don't belong in Paladins or Magistrate but just got involved cause of personal reason or greed in Zhin's case

• PC

@BaeWulf95
    oh I get it now, you are probably misunderstanding one thing
    Abyss and Void are the same thing kinda, Abyss would be the place and Void the deity in the Abyss, something like that (someone told we that, I think it was from a devstream or something, and it makes sense)
    which is different from the Darkness atlas fought

also andro has a very particuliar voice line "the Void claims its own" (I think that's the exact one but not sure", and as you said many things are hinting that the Abyss is what cursed andro, so it's probably like that

also about cassie and seris, they have some voice lines about it...

at first I thought zhin was more related to sha because sha is probably a prince, but after digging up a bit well I think sha simply helped ying which is why zhin is mad after him, and considering how similar zhin and lian are (face, way of talking, and so on...) it makes more sense

I totally agree about the videos, some ain't lore but others are

yes at first I thought it was just some random people who created BK, but apparently in a devstream it was said that lian was related to this warlord I think, and basically that lian indirectly created BK (I wasn't aware of that but a famous streamer who made lots of researches about the lore told me that) but yeah it seems weird to me

yeah I was totally talking about these voice lines, however I'm not sure torv is that nice...I don't know, just intuition I guess...

about evie, I think that maeve might have been the one to give her that grimoire she's holding

mmmh someone told me about the seris/maeve voice lines, but I think it's rather jokes about the fact she's a cat more than actual lore

then you are probably right about vik, then of course there are "factions" among the magistrate, zhin and viv are perfect exemple but house aico as well and maybe even skye is on her own in the end

@Gao-Shun
    it's not greed that makes zhin do what he does, I think it's as simple as he wants to retake the throne that was stolen from him

• PC

@TangAce Oh, ok, ok, ok. I was rereading the Rise of Furia lore. Yeah, your right the Void is of some sentience and the Abyss is a place of sort. Man, Evil Mojo REALLY needs to expand on this because it's kind of vague when you put it all together.