The new forums are awful

• Sorry to anybody that actually spent time working on this and all but I am pure salt right now.
    The new forums are garbage and here's a list of reasons why:

• It kills discussion on all old posts for obvious reasons.
    • Replacing the old forums instead of updating them just incentivizes spamming old posts.
    • Formatting has been absolutely destroyed. It is literally not possible to make posts visually interesting anymore.
    • The home page has everything collapsed as small as possible, making it a tiny, honestly pathetic looking forum.
    • The feature of looking through your old posts (or another person's old posts) has been absolutely butcher to be barely functioning beyond the most recent posts. This is due to awful formatting more than anything else. It shouldn't offer a large preview on every. single. post. That's just unnecessary clutter for people trying to look back at an older post.

I'm sure there are more issues but this is what I see being wrong with it within literally just a few minutes of browsing them. Whoever decided on this replacement has borderline ruined the forums.

Moved to Off-Topic.

Formatting has been absolutely destroyed. It is literally not possible to make posts visually interesting anymore.

I believe that the only formatting options missing from the old forums are colour and alignment (which are pretty important). This is a list of the features without buttons if you are interested:
    alt text

• Color and alignment are the main way anybody could make their post visually appealing. Without them everything is dull. As a person who made HEAVY use of them for champion concepts and, more importantly, my concept hub I borderline cannot do them anymore without those. They just turn in to walls of text

EDIT: Oh and the method of formatting is also suffering from a major downgrade if your example is anything to go by. Before you could highlight large areas to format them all at once but, from what I see here, that isnt possible. Am I just missing how thats done now or what?

@JohnOfAllTrades I hear you! I think colour might not be an option because of conflicts with the "dark-mode" background, and alignment isn't possible in Markdown. However, I've found a plugin that I will have forwarded to the web team to see if we can get it added! ๐Ÿ™‚

• This post is deleted!

• I misread what you said at first... The alignment is the one you found a possible fix for. Im curious about what the issue with having color is. The Smite forums use a different background color between pc and mobile but they have always had color available. Would it not be possible to just add the option for color anyways?

@JohnOfAllTrades Ok, I will have them look into enabling colour as well.

• PC

Yeah but i was banned on the old ones so i like this one.

• Switch

Ya I was thinking the same thing, but at the same time with all the bugs on the old forums I think the only way to fix it was to completely reset everything, so even tho I also dislike the look of this new menu, itโ€™s still a necessary change

• There is a plugin that allows color and Text align Extended Markdown for Nodebb
    Also, I like markdown. It's easy to use and read. Though default markdown itself is hot garbage.

@MrSquirrely That's cool! I will send this one to Molly and the web team as well.

• @Borvik is it possible to retrieve old forum posts or are they all gone cause I feel like a bunch of the champion concept creators who might've written their work only on the old one lost the time and effort the put in.

• PC

@FarceDawn http://oldforums.paladins.com/ Here you can access the old forums, although it's static, but you can see old threads and posts

• Im new to the forums, but i agree nevertheless.

• I find the new forums easier to navigate and easier to bypass threads that I'm not interested in. And it's easier on the eyes.

• Switch

@Conrad_Max said in The new forums are awful:

I find the new forums easier to navigate and easier to bypass threads that I'm not interested in. And it's easier on the eyes.

I agree with you.

• @JohnOfAllTrades said in The new forums are awful:

Sorry to anybody that actually spent time working on this and all but I am pure salt right now.
    The new forums are garbage and here's a list of reasons why:

It kills discussion on all old posts for obvious reasons.
    Replacing the old forums instead of updating them just incentivizes spamming old posts.
    Formatting has been absolutely destroyed. It is literally not possible to make posts visually interesting anymore.
    The home page has everything collapsed as small as possible, making it a tiny, honestly pathetic looking forum.
    The feature of looking through your old posts (or another person's old posts) has been absolutely butcher to be barely functioning beyond the most recent posts. This is due to awful formatting more than anything else. It shouldn't offer a large preview on every. single. post. That's just unnecessary clutter for people trying to look back at an older post.

I'm sure there are more issues but this is what I see being wrong with it within literally just a few minutes of browsing them. Whoever decided on this replacement has borderline ruined the forums.

It kills discussion on all old posts for obvious reasons.

could you pls explain this one? the rest I agree, but I don't understand this one

• @Koopakid said in The new forums are awful:

I think the only way to fix it was to completely reset everything

In b4 that's how they fix term and the rest of the game

• @Zeebuoy I mean, the entirety of the old forums were locked, putting a halt to any discussions that were going on there. Sure someone can try to restart them here but thats not guaranteed to work out well

• @JohnOfAllTrades said in The new forums are awful:

Sure someone can try to restart them here but thats not guaranteed to work out well

Why not? Several old topics have been restarted already. Maybe some old topics may need a fresh coat of paint as we may have had several updates since they were originally created? Some problems may have been fixed, changed or still exist as before.