Comprehensive guide about roles

• PC

Hello everyone,

I'm gonna write this guide, but it'll take a while so I'll do it part by part.
    this guide aims at explaining the 4 different roles and other subroles paladins count
    I'll also try to categorize each champ into categories

if anyone think something I say isn't right, feel free to say it, if you think the guide is missing something say it too, I'll try my best to make it useful 🙂

I also apologize cause it will once again be a bunch of text, I'm really not good with images and stuff ^^'
    I'll try to be as clear and short as possible

• let's start with the Frontline role

Frontlines as the name suggest are in front of their team 🙂 if you sit in the back or play passively then you'll be useless ^^

There are two main kind of tanks in paladins, point tank and off tank

Point Tank
    Champions : Inara / Barik / Terminus / Fernando / Ash
    What is their purpose : Point tank apply pressure on the point and middle "lane"
    meaning during point fights they will try to hold the point/payload, then once they won the fight they will push forward and try to pressure the enemy
    Don't get fooled, these tanks can do tons of damage and be aggressive enough

Off Tank
    Champions : Makoa / Atlas / Khan / Ash / Fernando / Ruckus
    What is their purpose : Offtank apply pressure on flank "lanes", they work in pair with a dps, have to contest the enemy Offtank/dps pair to prevent their backline from dying, they are the one to initiate fights so they gotta be kinda aggressive

• Now let's move on to supports
      There are a few subroles in the support category, Main support, second support, situational supp, dmg supp, flank supp

Main Support
    Champions : Io / Seris / Damba / Ying / Jenos / Furia / Grover
    what is their purpose : Well it's quite obvious, they have to support their teammates, and by supporting I mean not only healing, yes healing is around 70% of what they gotta do, but they also have to dmg enemies and use whatever CC they have to help their team, they obviously stands in the backline of the team, but will also go aggressive when they can to help their teammates even more. Lastly, they will usually capture the point or move the payload when the team is zoning.
    Try to focus your healing on people who ain't under caut.
    please, don't be a healing bot, no one needs that

Second Support
    Champions : Furia / Damba / Ying / Grover / Pip / Seris
    What is their purpose : A second support is here to back up the main support, they will heal when needed, they work best when with a jenos or Io as main support, contrary to the previous, they will need to deal ton of damage as they replace either a tank or dmg, healing is only about 40% of their job. This subrole is quite situational and need very specific comps to properly work
    Most of the time when playing as a second support, you want to play with a damage talent.

Situational Support
    Champions : Grohk / Pip
    Purpose : simply put it, they are main supports, but they can only be played with specific team composition, they usually work better than a main support when in those comps as they deal way more damage than all other supports, have 2 op ults, and for Grohk a wonderful CC immunity

Damage Support
    Champions : Grohk / Seris / Ying / Furia / Grover
    what do they do : To simply put it, they play as if they were damage champion, they won't heal other people except if they have nothing else to do (still don't be a jerk and heal someone if it will win them a fight)
    Some may argue you can play dps damba, but Damba is way better as a second supp than dps

Flank support
    Champions : Pip / Ying / Seris
    what's their point : Hum, you probably guessed it, they are flank champions, it's basically the same role as a Damage Support, except that these 3 can actually flank the enemy team thanks to their mobility

• Now let's move on to the Damage category, we've got 2 main categories, Direct damage and Blasters, and a few sub categories, Bursters, Snipers, Zoners and Sustained. (as you can see I love inventing words 😉 )

Direct damage
    Champions : Cassie / Lian / Strix / Kinessa / Sha Lin / Vivian / Viktor / Tyra / Imani
    okay that's nice but what are they? Well it's pretty simple as the name suggest, they are damage dealers using mostly direct damage type. They are usually used as backline champions.

Blasters
    Champions : Drogoz / Willo / Dredge / Bomb King
    What's the difference between Direct and Blast ? well to put it simply Blasters mostly use AOE attacks which are under Blast damage type, they are generally used to provide a different type of damage and to have some AOE which can be nice in many situations.

Bursters
    Champions : Cassie / Lian / Bomb King / Sha Lin
    I think calling them anti-flank would be more accurate 🙂 cause it's a big part of what they do, these champions are able to burst squishes in a second or two, while still being able to deal some damage at medium to long distance, they can totally fight upclose if there is need.

Snipers
    Champions : Strix / Kinessa / Sha Lin
    I guess everyone know what a sniper is, these champions shine at long distance, they have the best attack range in the game and will deal huge damage at a slow attack rate. They are also map dependent.
    some may argue cassie can be a sniper, but as she is way better a mid range I won't put her under that category
    Strix is utterly broken right now and can do whatever he wants, broken at any distance in any map, still I'll let him in this category as he's not supposed to be so strong at close or mid range fights

Zoners
    Champions : Dredge / Willo / Tyra / Drogoz
    You guessed it, these champions are the best at area denial also called zoning, they all have some very dangerous abilities if one goes into the area of effect, this way they can contest easily an area and prevent any enemy to go there, they usually are weak to flankers, can be map dependent.
    Willo being kinda broken isn't weak to anything and will deal with any situation and do anything (until you reach master/gm/pro elo where people know how to deal with her) 🙂 will get nerfed at a point I suppose

Sustained
    Champions : Viktor / Vivian / Tyra / Drogoz
    So well, these are the best at shredding people, especially our beloved tanks with huge hp pools, they are great at destroying shields as well, can be very dangerous considering their damage output, they lack some mobility and are usually easy to deal with as long as you don't let them do whatever they want

Special case : Imani
    Imani is a bit special and fit into any category thanks to her versatile kit, she can fight at any range, has some burst with the double shot at full mana, can zone with her inferno canon or frost bomb, fireball is basically a sniper shot and the ice mode is great as a sustained damage

yay, damage is done, was about time, sorry for the wait ^.^' only flank left
    well I'll add more and more during the next few days I guess ^^' what do you think about the form? is it too short?

• PC

Oh nice hope this help people here.

A suggestion: from my experience terminus works better as an off tank in certain maps than as a point tank. He is one of the hardest champs of the game as a point tank because even if you can win 1vs1 vs inara or barik you have a pretty hard time against their backlane because of no pressure vs them (pretty much why tinkerin is best barik talent) as a off tank he is closer to their dps so he can deal with them easier in some maps. Decimation kinda solves or at least reduces the problem with the backlane as point tank but you are trading your defenses for damage so its not that good, I'd use this talent as an offtank though. I'd put him as both off tank and point tank.

Makoa can play as a point tank with half shell but he is so offmeta to consider I guess better as an offtank alone.

And yes, torvald is a fat support not a frontline, they dont fool anyone at this point.

• Okay you listed Ash as both point and off tank, I get that I play more point as in I don't dive as much as my friend's Ash but what is the core difference? Is it cause of Legendary?

• PC

@ShogunPukin

that's why term use decimation talent, as long as he's here with a supp behind him, he won't die (cause his shield can't be broken) and he'll keep poking with right click
    he's way more annoying as point than off, mostly cause as offtank the enemy can just put some distance between them and he'll be fully useless, term will just make them lose some time killing him (waiting his shield to be down)
    while on point he just sit there and can't be thrown off

I do agree it's hard to play

half shell doesn't work against good players, they will just wait for his shield to be over, only works if people destroy the shield...

yep torv will go under supp category
    @Gao-Shun
    yes exactly, if you play bat ram you'll be offtank (she's more used like that) but with fortress breaker you can be point, it's nice to know because sometimes due to weird bans or pick, you can't have nara nor barik, so you have to get something, ash is a nice option

plus her ult can be great both for point contest / area denial, or aggressive stun in backline

• I don't think Torv is a support. A support's job is to keep the main tank alive and no one plays Torv as main "healer" maybe as 2nd support. Works in pair with a dps and protects the backline is not so far from how Torv is played.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 In my opinion he is the same type of support than jenos, a boost support. Furia is an hybrid between boost support and burst heal so they are the only ones that fit in that class.
    He is just different than the classical support, because for example grohk or grover need to stay close to the point especially in the past with totem range and those huge hp pools that doesnt mean they were point tank... they were supports. His positioning may not be that different from an off tank in certain comps but he is a support, he makes damage dealers and especially flanks be gods at least before the nerf. He is not a threat by himself anymore unlike every other tank besides some wellplaced ult. Even his cc on right click feels more like a support cc than the kind of cc that tanks uses

• @ShogunPukin said in Comprehensive guide about roles:

In my opinion he is the same type of support than jenos, a boost support. Furia is an hybrid between boost support and burst heal so they are the only ones that fit in that class.

Both are played as main healer though. Torv is not. A support is an official champ category that is defined by the ability to be the main healer.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 Support does not mean healer though

• PC

@ShogunPukin said in Comprehensive guide about roles:

@M3RC3N4RI0 In my opinion he is the same type of support than jenos.

I don't think he's a support because he doesn't have healing, but I think he should be made into a support if they keep going in the direction they have with him because his current playstyle is similar to a boost support like Jenos. That is of course unless they want to make him what he used to be which I would much rather go for.

• @ShogunPukin said in Comprehensive guide about roles:

@M3RC3N4RI0 Support does not mean healer though

What do you think support means?

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 healing, boost, ccs... if healing was the only thing supports does then jenos wouldnt be meta.
    I mean babysitting your flanks like torvald does nowadays is basically supporting at least for me

• PC

@ShogunPukin said in Comprehensive guide about roles:

@M3RC3N4RI0 healing, boost, ccs... if healing was the only thing supports does then jenos wouldnt be meta.
    I mean babysitting your flanks like torvald does nowadays is basically supporting at least for me

So Khan is a support? 😕

• Support is team wide recovery engine.
    With Torvald, every one is a tank engine... chooo chooo

Khan is more of a support then torvald is.
    Torv is weakened becase people fear his pocket shielding enough to make torvald need to be pocketed... and that is just poor design.

Torvald is just a single target damage mitgation dynamic that pockets an ally while he himself has a severly nerfed kit since his damage falloff recharge durations and speed nerfs.

If these changes where reverted, torvald would go back to being a supressor with a mobility tool.
    Recharge allowed torv to escape from harm, now it just is to reset his half absent hp pool.
    His shields do not even recharge out of combat, so you really do feel as though you have no hp vs wrecker.

• PC

@Dusklicious I considered him both frontline and support when firing lane was a thing no jokes, that talent was busted I dont known how did it last that long.
    Now I dont think he is a support I mean his playstyle is not based on supporting your allies with your heal it is like a special trait on a frontline but torvald is way more based on shielding than doing things by himself so I can consider him a support. My english is pretty bad so I dont know if Im explaining properly.

• PC

@TangAce

You made this topic because you have annoyance against noobs, Am I right? 🙂

Edit: As I see in your Rage thread posts.. (Just Kidding Don't miss understand)

• PC

This post is deleted!

• PC

This post is deleted!

• PC

@DaddyOoker

Just kidding 🙂
    Me too I respect people who make useful guides, I upvoted his topic.
    I don't mean any antagonize.

• PC

@DaddyOoker said in Comprehensive guide about roles:

@a_a @Dusklicious

Don't antagonize. I'm all for anyone putting info out there to help anyone. We all know many people need this stuff.

If I meant to antagonize, why would I cross out the post? And also why would I delete it? Wouldn't both of those ruin the purpose?

It's more a joke on how he's antagonized me.

• PC

This post is deleted!