Apoc, The Skeleton King

• PC

SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS

Conceptually, Apoc may remind you a little of a certain Rock Zombie. He's a mobile melee off-tank primarily designed to disrupt enemies and then burst them down. His shield, while indestructible with a potentially infinite duration, gives you a very noticeable self-slow (Which essentially would cut his movement speed to 80% of his default speed). He's also pretty solid at stalling objectives, as you'll likely be able to see from his F. Note that this as of now is a rough concept I made for the sake of memes and also in the spirit of the season, so input would be greatly appreciated.

LORE: Apoc is the king of a kingdom of skeletons, and a manifestation of the Darkness. He was once an elven warlord hundreds of years ago, but he was found guilty of treason by his tribe and burned at the stake. But to all the horror of the spectators, he was burned to the bone, but he disassembled his own skeleton body through some sort of dark magic and his bones fled into the night, where they would become the Apoc of today. His army is composed of his fellow dishonored dead who want nothing more than to take revenge on those that reduced them to bones, and will never stop until they do. With Raum's help, their campaign of unspeakable acts is coming more and more into focus.

Maximum Health: 3500
    Movement Speed: 375

ABILITIES

Left Click- Skeleton Blade
    Apoc swings his sword, dealing 450 damage every .75 seconds to enemies within 15 units (Changed it from feet to fit with the game's measurements, may do the same to my other concepts) in front of him.

Right Click- Skeleton Shield
    Apoc brings up his shield (large enough to protect most of his model, but leaving his feet and the top of his skull exposed), blocking damage directly in front of him, but reducing his movement speed. This shield has 5000 maximum health, but can be interrupted by stuns not blocked by the shield. The shield can also be thrown by pressing LMB, dealing 500 damage on hit and returning to Apoc after traveling 50 units. Use of any abilities cancels the effect of this ability. Has a cooldown of 4 seconds upon deactivation, and restores 500 health per second when down.

Q- Spook
    Apoc screeches, fearing all enemies within 45 units away from Apoc for 1.5 seconds. Enemies feared by this ability also take 15% increased damage for 1.5 seconds. This ability has a cooldown of 15 seconds.

F- Disassemble
    Apoc disassembles his body, and then reforms himself at a target location up to 40 units away after a maximum of 1.5 seconds, gaining damage immunity while choosing a location. This ability has a cooldown of 12 seconds.

ULT- Skeleton Army
    Apoc summons an army of skeletons that rushes in the direction you cast it after a channel of .5 seconds, knocking back enemies and dealing 300 direct damage for every skeleton that collides with them. These skeletons march straight forward five-wide, in 10 rows summoning .4 seconds after each other, until they hit a wall or a champion, Each wave applying a light knockback on collision.

TALENTS

Skeleton's Anguish- Spook's effect also increases the current cooldowns of all affected enemies by 3 seconds, and puts any off-cooldown ability on a 3 second cooldown (FYI, this is NOT in any way affected by Chronos).

Adamantium Skeleton- After using Disassemble's movement, Apoc gains a 3500 shield for 3.5 seconds.

Skeletal Permanence- On a 160 second cooldown, upon death, Apoc haunts the enemy that killed him, dealing 400 direct damage per second to that enemy (activates regardless of range or walls) for 4 seconds.

CHANGES-

Spook's Damage Amp decreased from 20% to 15%. (-)
    Spook's Range increased from 40 to 45 units (+), but effect time decreased from 2 seconds to 1.5 seconds on both effects (--). Cooldown also increased from 12 seconds to 15 seconds (-).
    Forgot to add the shield CD ( since increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds) (!)
    Clarification on when Adamantium Skeleton's shield activates. (!)
    Bone Shield renamed to "Skeleton Shield" and reworked (!)

• Switch

Nice Champion! BTW, isn’t spook a bit OP?

• PC

@a_a said in Apoc, The Skeleton King:

Nice Champion! BTW, isn’t spook a bit OP?

Resilience lowers the fear time to potentially as low .2 seconds. But I can see the concern about the damage amp. I'll lower it a little bit.

Though I am worried about the talent associated with it being a potential problem.

• @Dusklicious
    He looks like a better version of Terminus, actually (you said that, yeah). Spook is roughly Damba's ultimate, but with longer duration, extra damage and it's not an ultimate. Also, 12s is way too low CD, IMO. His is shield is Khan's shield, but with no durability or Terminus vortex, but with no charge. Disassemble is stronger, than any other mobility on tanks, because of invulnerability. And ultimate is great as well. I think, this one is kinda OP, comparing to other similar champions.

• PC

@JoeTheMoonwalker said in Apoc, The Skeleton King:

@Dusklicious
    He looks like a better version of Terminus, actually (you said that, yeah). Spook is roughly Damba's ultimate, but with longer duration, extra damage and it's not an ultimate. Also, 12s is way too low CD, IMO. His is shield is Khan's shield, but with no durability or Terminus vortex, but with no charge. Disassemble is stronger, than any other mobility on tanks, because of invulnerability. And ultimate is great as well. I think, this one is kinda OP, comparing to other similar champions.

Disassemble is meant to be the bread and butter of his kit. It's supposed to be his mobility ability, but it can also function quite well at avoiding bursts of damage, and stalling objectives.

As for Bone Shield, it functions like a combination of Terminus' Power Siphon and Khan's Bulwark. You can hit him past it easier than Khan's though as it would be a bit smaller than that shield is. But it has much more in common with Power Siphon in how the sustain in general works out, and that it also has a cooldown.

As for being a better Terminus, he sort of is. But if he weren't better than Term is at the moment, he'd be fairly weak. Terminus is in a pretty bad state right now IMO (particularly compared to other tanks). There are a few things I'd like to point out though. His sword has even shorter range than Terminus' axe (though a little more DPS and Caut potential), he has less health than Terminus (but MUCH better mobility even when Disassemble is on cooldown, that I'm considering nerfing a bit), and his ult is different than anything currently in the game. I consider him a sort of combination of Terminus and old Firing Line Khan (sans the heal) in the way he would likely function.

IMO, he seems like roughly S or S+ tier on a Guru style tier list with his current design, AKA a little bit weaker than where Atlas is on live. His cooldowns are limiting, his ultimate is really not the greatest, and CC is a potential threat for him. But he still has great tools for engaging enemies, and his talents are all solid (Adamantium Skeleton is probably the worst of the three though). One in particular, Skeleton's Anguish could easily be meta with its supportive off-tank style of play that prevents people from escaping, healing, etc for the time it does.

• @Dusklicious
    Well, you say, that shield has CD, if I understood you correctly, but you didn't mentioned it in description.
    60 units is a great radius for fear, nearly as big, as Skye's Time Bomb (that is 75 units). Now that is OP CC. Most of the champions have something like that as ultimate (Damba, Inara) and with smaller radius (though with a bit better effective range).
    His shield still gives him too much sustain. Even if it supposed to be roughly of Deflector shield's size, it's still way to powerful, to not being restricted either by health, or duration. If your team has no non-ultimate CC, you can't even hit this guy properly.

• PC

@Dusklicious
    Well, you say, that shield has CD, if I understood you correctly, but you didn't mentioned it in description.
    60 units is a great radius for fear, nearly as big, as Skye's Time Bomb (that is 75 units). Now that is OP CC. Most of the champions have something like that as ultimate (Damba, Inara) and with smaller radius (though with a bit better effective range).
    His shield still gives him too much sustain. Even if it supposed to be roughly of Deflector shield's size, it's still way to powerful, to not being restricted either by health, or duration. If your team has no non-ultimate CC, you can't even hit this guy properly.

Description has been fixed to accomodate that. Apparently, I thought I put it there when I didn't. The ability should have a 3 second cooldown.

The fear is longer range now, yes, but decreasing the duration and cooldown on its own really is a fairly huge nerf. If I nerfed the former any more, it would pretty much be an utter joke with Resilience. The CD is nerfable, but nerfing that too much would essentially force Apoc to buy Chronos or constantly die because his abilities are never up.

It also slows his movement speed, a lot and I did mention that (It would be a base 300, since I also mentioned it would be roughly a 20% slow). Also, it's smaller than Khan's so it's even easier to hit through with AoE attacks like BK's, Ash's and Evie's. Not to mention, it has a cooldown, unlike Khan's or Terminus' (1 second isn't really a cooldown at all honestly).

Actually, you can. If you force him into shield when his Q and his F are down you can literally just chase him down and kill him (sure you may have to attack from multiple vantage points at the same time, but really when his CDs are down, he'd be absurdly easy for any DPS to take down). Not to mention when he uses his shield he has to wait three seconds before it comes up and by that point he should either be dead (again of course), or close enough to it to chase him down and kill him.

He also has literally no damage output at range in his entire kit (his LMB actually has less range than Terminus' and Terminus still has his Calamity Blasts) aside from his ultimate (yes, he can engage at range with a Spook/Disassemble combo, but that uses up any way to escape a situation except his shield, which is hardly functional for that purpose, as well, it's not all that hard to counter). Without most of the powerful abilities he has, he'd be totally worthless in all honesty, due to the previously established complete lack of range and situation he's put in when he's forced to shield and run away (which 9 out of 10 times won't work for the Apoc).

Apparently, Raum is also in a very similar situation from what I hear. Sure, this character wouldn't have a hitbox THAT big (I was thinking a hitbox around the size of Atlas'), but the fact his effectiveness is locked behind a couple of cooldowns that can be quite lengthy and it can be rather punishing if the abilities are wasted.

• @Dusklicious
    Actually, I was thinking about using his shield more as a siege tool. You can push on enemies with shield's up until you close enough. And if they try to keep distance, they will lose the ground. And if things go awry you have awesome CC to fight your way out and awesome mobility ability to run, if needed.
    And Spook still seems OP, can't help the feeling. It's literally better version of Dread serpent, that is affected by CC resistance as well, btw. Maybe with slow instead of dmg amplification it would seem better, idk. This would help you to keep enemies affected in attack range while still controling them. Or maybe reduce its CD and increase its range, but make it single-target ability

Anyway, he seems like an interesting concept (a bit bizarre maybe), but very hard to balace

• PC

Reworked the shield

• @Dusklicious
    Now it's a bit better, than it was, since you can't endlessly lay on enemies with impenetrable shield. Also, ranged potential is just fine.

• PC

@Dusklicious
    Now it's a bit better, than it was, since you can't endlessly lay on enemies with impenetrable shield. Also, ranged potential is just fine.

He really needed a way to poke enemies at range. He had no range in his kit whatsoever. Not to mention an invulnerable shield is just a bad idea anyways. It's a lot easier to balance the way it is now, not to mention it is more unique, because that makes it the only shield in the game that actually can actively do damage to an opponent.