How to Play a "Noob" Champion, a Viktor Guide (WIP)

• PC

Since apparently people have asked for DPS guides, I think I should take it into my own hands to talk about the "easiest" one to play (He is pretty f***ing easy I'll admit, but Lian is legit freelo and Vik's kind of a mid tier atm, so not the easiest I'd say). This won;t be nearly as detailed as my Barik guide, more just a sort of mini-guide considering I don't even have Vik to Mastery 30 yet... 😯 Plus I'm sort of just typing it out quickly.

Overview

Viktor is a backline damage dealer, that is very capable of pumping out burst at medium range (with the proper talent of course), but he also has a lot of both direct AND area damage, so he's a reliable DPS choice for most comps. Not saying he's great in the meta right now, because he's sort of okay. Snipers can easily outdo his damage long range, and well Cassie and Lian exist.

Pros and Cons

PROS:

• Has plenty of both area and direct damage
    • He is rather easy for anyone to pick up
    • Has plenty of sustainable mobility
    • A solid ultimate that ignores shields

COMS:

• His kit has no Crowd Control in it
    • Only one of his talents is actually viable
    • Doesn't particularly excel at short or long range
    • Somewhat low skill ceiling

Talents

I will preface this by saying that you should only ever really use is Burst Mode, as it provides plenty of reliable damage at range that has next to no spread. I'll get into why the other two talents suck.

Shrapnel
    This talent sucks because all it does is make it easier to hit your grenades. It doesn't do much of anything for you otherwise. It doesn't really do anything for anyone aside from maybe a newer player, but even then I wouldn't recommend it to them either because it's better to get used to your frags' normal AoE.

Cardio
    This talent is legit a troll talent. It is countered by sufficient awareness and Cauterize. The healing on it is rather formidable very early on before anyone can get Caut 2, but aside from that there's legit no use for this stupid talent.

Card Builds

There are two options here. You can either go for a build that just buffs up your iron sights so you can deal even better consistent damage with it (as well as give you a bit of sustain), or a build that buffs up your grenades. Here are the builds I use when I play Viktor: I will note that the Grenade Build is more advanced and requires you to hit your Frag Grenades to make good use of.

ADS Build: Speed Load I, Flak Jacket II, Predator III, Reflexes IV,, Firing Stance V
    Grenade Build: Fire in the Hole I, Flak Jacket II, Firing Stance IV, Reflexes IV, Grenadier IV

ADS Heavy Burst Mode

• Speed Load- Always a good filler for Viktor. It restores 6 ammo when getting an elimination per rank. That is two bursts per rank (burst mode fires in bursts of threes, well normally...). You ever only need rank 1 of this card as 6 ammo is already a LOT of ammo. But also other cards are more necessary at higher ranks.
    • Flak Jacket- This is also a good low level card. It grants 50 extra maximum health per rank. Health cards are great for any champion, really and Viktor is no exception. Rank 2 should generally be plenty.
    • Predator- This card is great for sustaining the build. It grants Viktor 8% (per rank) Lifesteal when aiming down sights [ADS]. At rank 3, you'll be getting about 160 health back per burst, which is plenty enough to be impactful, but not too much out of the build.
    • Reflexes- I guess the rank really does sort of come down to a degree of personal preference on this one, but it's absolutely essential high rank. It allows you to bring up Iron Sights 15% faster per level. At rank 4, you'll be bringing up your Iron Sights up after .12 seconds which feels like no time at all as is. You may find yourself preferring to only spec 3 into this and maybe spec an extra point into Predator instead, but I personally put this rank 4.
    • Firing Stance- Without this card, Viktor would be pretty much a sitting duck. It lowers the movement speed penalty of Iron Sights by 10% per rank. This is pretty much a must have at rank 4 or 5 for any Viktor build, as without it you'll find yourself being picked off by a flank/off-tank or even a flanking damage.

Grenade Heavy Burst Mode

• Fire In the Hole- Pretty much the Speed Load of a grenade build. It grants you 6 ammo per rank when you hit an enemy with a grenade (and YES, it DOES stack). You'll only ever need rank 1 of this to keep your ammo up.
    • Flak Jacket, Reflexes, and Firing Stance- Same as in the ADS build, except the level of Firing Stance depends on whether you take rank 3 or 4 Grenadier.
    • Grenadier- An essential to any grenade build, it reduces the cooldown of your Frag by 1 second per rank per enemy hit by your grenade. A skillful toss that hits two or three may even refund the cooldown completely at rank 3 or 4, which is what you should take. I take 4 as I find the reset on a double hit very useful when I play, but rank 3 is also quite good as well.

I'll make note of a card I DON'T run and that is Compensator. You may find it useful as a filler if you want a little less recoil. But personally, I would recommend the ammo cards more, as there's more potential to be had with them instead.

GENERAL TIPS

• I may have told you that Cardio is bad, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be running..
      Oh you should run quite a bit alright... Frankly, you should be running every time you need to reposition. And I do mean every. single. time, of course unless you need to shoot down a flank that's harassing you or something while backing away from them, then doing that is the better option. Don't just let a flanker tear you up without firing back, but do make sure you utilize the mobility as often as you need to. It's also good to run in very short bursts to adjust your angle, especially at shorter ranges.

• Do not stay in your ultimate any longer than it is useful for you to.
      ... Or else there's a pretty high chance somebody's going to kill you. The best idea is to already have your target in mind before ulting, and then press E as fast as you can as effectively as you can. You also don't need to use all of the shells. You can end it early, and in fact more often than not it's a good idea to do so as it refunds 20% for each shell you don't use, up to 60%, but don't use none either.

• Don't buy Deft Hands. Buy Cauterize.
      I mean it's common sense to most veteran players, but Deft Hands is NEVER a good idea for 90% of the champions in this game, and Viktor, believe it or not is one...
      Cauterize is almost always the best option out of the gate. Your other items should probably be any of these: Morale Boost (More missiles), Wrecker (If you need to take care of shields), Resilience (CC can be a b!+c#), Haven (for DIRECT damage), Blast Shields (for AREA damage), and Bulldozer (If you need to take care of Barik turrets, Luna, Imani's ult, et cetera), depending on situation.

Still a WIP

• Even though Vik is supposed to be the noob champion, I don't think he really is. He requires good aim, and it's actually not easy at all to deal with flanks (especially if the enemy has 2-3 flanks on the team) so he requires high awareness too. Noob champions are characters like Seris, Jenos, Ash, Strix, Willo.

• PC

@schachmaty There is no noob champion

• Vik is supposed to be noob champion.

But he's actually harder than most tho XD

btw, run Cardio LMAO!! (JOKING)

• PC

@Dusklicious you forgot the WIP.....

• @Dusklicious I was playing Cardio just last night...

• Burst Mode is better for straight out damage at range

• The value of the Grenade radius talent is not in hitting people you know the location of..... The value comes from being able to check a room for people from across the map. Is there a dirty camper hiding behind that wall before i run over there. The other is ultimate generation... You get 4% per person hit. Hitting 4 people for 16% ult and then doing it again from nade reset... 32% ultimate generated in less than two seconds is pretty strong but you got to play to that advantage and use your ultimate allot.

Edit: Forgot to add that you still have to be accurate even with the talent...

• 20 Unit Full Damage

• 30 Unit with fall off so 40% on this is only an extra 12 Units with maximum fall off = 42 units

• 8 units for max damage = 28 Units

• Cardio is not bad but its not a i can run around the battle field like an idiot, what is most people that play it try to do. It reduces your down time and allows you to stay shooting allot more. Where people screw it up is they try and run away from a flanker because they can heal... No you still kill that flanker and win the duel or die. The advantage comes when you shoot that flanker and they run away you can run into a wall for a second or two and be back int he fight. The key to cardio is not running away from everything... You play it just like a normal viktor and only run away when you would normally run away like 3 people coming for you.

• PC

@Dusklicious said in How to Play a "Noob" Champion, a Viktor Guide (WIP):

Firing Stance- Without this card, Viktor would be pretty much a sitting duck. It lowers the movement speed penalty of Iron Sights by 10% per rank. This is pretty much a must have at rank 4 or 5 for any Viktor build, as without it you'll find yourself being picked off by a flank/off-tank or even a flanking damage.

I play Viktor without this card and I always get top play 🙃 (last patch ofc) I am good without this card, maybe I am a special case....

• @DambaKing This card is really good if your using iron sights a bunch...
    I was running it in my cardio game last night. Viktor has 50% reduction in movement speed in Iron Sights so level 5 means you get your base movement speed with your sites up which is really good.

Predator 5
    Firing Stance 5
    Grenadier 3
    Guerrilla Warfare 1
    Fire in the hole 1

It also helps with fluidity of play, you dont change speeds when you draw your weapon up so the transition feels more natural and less jarring making it feel allot better.

I think tonight I amm going to try a hipfire viktor just for fun and see what i can come up with.

• I don't think Condensator works with Burst Mode. With it or without it I don't see any difference.

• @Shadowpuppy said in How to Play a "Noob" Champion, a Viktor Guide (WIP):

The other is ultimate generation... You get 4% per person hit.

Interesting. Have to check this out.

• PC

@TTraw said in How to Play a "Noob" Champion, a Viktor Guide (WIP):

I don't think Condensator works with Burst Mode. With it or without it I don't see any difference.

Compensator in Burst does work, it just doesn't do much of anything when there's little recoil to negate. Apparently it helps some people, though I really don't understand how considering. 🤔

• @Dusklicious i cant see using that card in any loadout Viktors recoil is alread nothing.

I was having fun playing hip fire viktor last night.

10 extra rounds
    10 rounds a second when running
    Cardio

It was working surprisingly well..

I wish they would make burst fire only in iron sights.

• PC

@Shadowpuppy said in How to Play a "Noob" Champion, a Viktor Guide (WIP):

@Dusklicious I was playing Cardio just last night...

• Burst Mode is better for straight out damage at range

• The value of the Grenade radius talent is not in hitting people you know the location of..... The value comes from being able to check a room for people from across the map. Is there a dirty camper hiding behind that wall before i run over there. The other is ultimate generation... You get 4% per person hit. Hitting 4 people for 16% ult and then doing it again from nade reset... 32% ultimate generated in less than two seconds is pretty strong but you got to play to that advantage and use your ultimate allot.

Edit: Forgot to add that you still have to be accurate even with the talent...

• 20 Unit Full Damage

• 30 Unit with fall off so 40% on this is only an extra 12 Units with maximum fall off = 42 units

• 8 units for max damage = 28 Units

• Cardio is not bad but its not a i can run around the battle field like an idiot, what is most people that play it try to do. It reduces your down time and allows you to stay shooting allot more. Where people screw it up is they try and run away from a flanker because they can heal... No you still kill that flanker and win the duel or die. The advantage comes when you shoot that flanker and they run away you can run into a wall for a second or two and be back int he fight. The key to cardio is not running away from everything... You play it just like a normal viktor and only run away when you would normally run away like 3 people coming for you.

Remember that I made this when Caut 3 applied 90% healing reduction instead of 75% like it does now. Now I'd say it's... viable. Not necessarily good, and still kind of cheese, but... viable. Very different playstyle though, from what I can tell it is closer to a flanky type of Damage build instead of Burst builds that are more for long range.

Thinking about making a guide in this vein specifically for shield Ash at some point in the future...

• @Dusklicious i love Ash but i only play slug shot.

• PC

@Dusklicious i love Ash but i only play slug shot.

I mean now that's probably her worst talent tbh, but okay. I mostly play shield now.

• @Dusklicious

https://forums.hirezstudios.com/paladins/topic/2439/off-tank-ash

works pretty well, after playing makoa so long i find that i can almost have a 100 percent accuracy with Ash slug shot.

• PC

@Dusklicious

https://forums.hirezstudios.com/paladins/topic/2439/off-tank-ash

works pretty well, after playing makoa so long i find that i can almost have a 100 percent accuracy with Ash slug shot.

The only thing it really gives you is range though. In return for having no AoE and having no other talent. Seems kind of not worth it to me.

• @Dusklicious it inreases the speed of the round as well... Like i just straight up counter maeve and drogoz with it.

• The biggest reason i cant stand her normal weapon is that it explodes when its close to someone... So if i try to shoot past the tank to hit the healer i cant do it as it just auto explodes on the tank....With slug i can totally zone out the backline healers and damage dealers.

• PC

@Dusklicious it inreases the speed of the round as well... Like i just straight up counter maeve and drogoz with it.

True, but that also is mainly just a thing that gives it more reliability at range, so point still stands. Not to say it's bad, just not as good as the other two IMO.

You may be able to get a shot in if you aim it above the tank.

But this is a guide for Viktor not Ash.