Building Your Own Deck

• I promised TangAce a Zhin guide since no one is making a guide for flanks. But this came up.

How does one make a Loadout? Well, it starts with Formations and Combinations.

A Loadout needs an exact number of 15 points and 5 cards. Logically speaking, a harmonist idealist would give each card 3 points, but that would just make your deck more... default. It won't be special because most decks (if not all) have variations on them.

While there are debates whether you should or should not run only 3 cards with each of them on 5 points (if that is possible in the future)... This is a Gameplay and Strategy thread. I won't be discussing the possibilities of things like this. Feel free to chat me if you want to know stuff bout this, and my thoughts on it.

Onto the guide!

DEFINITIONS AND GENERAL OVERVIEW
    First of all, cards are split up onto Cores, Subcores and Fillers (at least that's how I call them)

A core is a card in which you run 4 or 5 points on, A subcore is a card in which you run 3 points on, while a filler is a card that you run 2 or 1 points on.

Some cards make for great fillers, good subcores, and work well as cores as well, such as health cards.

Some cards do really well only as a core or subcore, and do horribly as a filler... Such as damage reduction cards and lifesteal cards.

Some cards only do well as a filler, and using too much points on it will seem kind of Meme-y. Like Ammo cards, or stuff like Fernando's Unstoppable Force Charge applies an 800 knockback (200 scaling per level) (I love that card and I have a meme deck built around it, just for fun in Frog Isle and Fish Market. But seriously. Don't do that competitively)

Each card has a specific feature and most of the times, everyone can edit out their loadout as they see fit based on their talent. For instance, a Formidable Fernando would be more likely to run 5 points on Towering Barrier instead of 5 points on Incinerate (which you would see on Scorch Fernando)

It would also be important for you to highlight your loadouts based on your role and your talent with it. While an Off-tank Barik seems odd, or a Flank Strix is odd, that is something possible to play with. You wouldn't run Healing Station IV and too much points on your health card for Off-tank Barik, but you would definitely run stuff like Accelerator Field, and your Bowling Ball is still going to be used.

Making a loadout is just important, and do it based on what you want your champion to be able to do. One of the best features of Paladins is player expression, something that Overwatch (no offense) cannot do and is apparently trying to copy...

Refer to the champion talents guide in my Signature if you are confused about which talent to use...

Structure
    Like in soccer, and football (I'm being specific for americans here since you guys get confused) each team can be put around a certain formation, but with the same amount of players. For instance, it could be placed as a 4-3-3, running 3 strikers, 3 midfielders, and 4 defenders. Or you can run your 10 players in football as a 3-5-2, with 3 Defenders, 5 Midfielders, and 2 Strikers. Regardless of how you combine the numbers, you may only run 10 players.

Building loadouts are exactly the same thing like this. There are several structures to attend to.
    I think the most important thing about deciding structures, is deciding how many cores you want to use. And the structures part are pretty much a part of it.

Dual V-Core 1

Core V - Core V - Filler II - Filler II - Filler I

You fully invest in 10 points for your cores, and invest the rest on fillers.

You commonly see this for champions with not many card options.

Dual V-Core 2

Core V - Core V - Subcore III - Filler I - Filler I

Variation of the first structure, only running a subcore and 2 fillers instead of 3 fillers. Usually for champions who need more value on their subcore, or cannot decide which core to use...

Core V - Core IV - Subcore III - Filler II - Filler I

Choose 5 cards. Give each of them different points. Another variation of running two cores, just... you know, different.

Tricore

Core V - Core IV - Core IV - Filler I - Filler I

This is a loadout you normally see for champions who don't usually need 5 points on two of their cores, but they have 3 good cards, and you'd rather run 3 cores instead of investing an extra point on your fillers.

Tricore 2
    Core IV - Core IV - Core IV - Filler II - Filler I

A variation of running three cores if you don't need 5 points on any single one of your cores.

Dual Core Dual Subcore

Core IV - Core IV - Subcore III - Subcore III - Filler I

You see this mainly with champions who have cards that can be used at any point without losing much value, and you need variety. I see lots of Ash and Barik players using this combination actually.

TriSubcore
    Core V - Subcore III - Subcore III - Subcore III - Filler I

For people who cannot decide which cards are worthy of being a core.

Subcore III X5

Don't use this.

CARD DRAFTING

Three things about choosing which cards you should or should not use in your deck...

• Core and Filler Distribution
    • Utilization of Cards
    • Scaling of Cards

When I make a guide, I almost always use the rating system of A+, A, B, or C.

A+ are for cards that should go in virtually every deck, and is run as a core
    A are for cards that should go in certain decks as a core, or every deck as a filler.
    B are for cards that only could go as a core in very situational decks.
    C are for cards you should never use.

It is important for a person making a deck to determine which cards they should or should not use in their deck because you cannot make everyone happy, and there needs to be a tradeoff between your cards.

If you want to maximize your health by putting 5 points in your health cards, it probably means you cannot put 5 points and 4 points on your other cards. It is difficult to do so.

Choosing which cards deserve 5 points, 4 points, 3 points, 2 points, or just a single point are absolutely crucial because of the way damage works in Paladins, and also because of the way cooldowns work.

Some cards have high value at level 1, but very little value at level 2 such as Khan's Open Fire! (Activating Battle Shout grants you 4/4 ammo) and Fernando's Unstoppable Force (Charge applies an 800/200 Knockback)

Other cards are usually most useful at level 2, because it has twice the value of its previous level, but investing too much onto it would be overkill. My example on this is Fernando's Heat Transfer (Reduce your Charge Cooldown by 0.5/0.5 seconds for every 1000 damage your shield takes) you can reset your Charge cooldown twice as fast.

And some cards could be lifesaving at level 5, such as Bomb King running 5 points on his health card. His base 2200 health and the 250 health would make for 2450 health which is the exact number you need to survive a Jenos Ultimate.
    The utility of each card is unique, and it's important for everyone to learn how to utilize each card so it can actually mean something instead of just changing numbers.

Damage reduction cards are a good example of this. Say, an Inara decides to run Sacred Ground (Standing in your Warder's Field grants you 5/5% Damage Reduction) if you run 2 points on this, you would gain about 10% damage reduction, which translates to 10% more effective health. But if you run 5 points onto this, it would give you 25% damage reduction that translates to 1.5 times Effective Health.

Cards don't scale flatly. Mathematics can help with this *or you know, just... use many points in DR cards if you are too lazy to count

• PC

@AzrielM said in Building Your Own Deck:

Core V - Core IV - Subcore III - Filler II - Filler I

I first thought this is the counting thread.

• PC

ah that's a nice guide, I'll add it to the list, very good explanation

lifesteal cards are usually bad, except the one on ash or eventually lex
    damage reduction is almost always good
    I'd use health more as a filler or subcore than core, shields are great at subcore or filler as well, cd reduction is more for core and subcore

of course it'll all depends on the champ

I'd also suggest trying loadouts multiple times and adjust them depending on your feeling about it

Also try to look what other players are using as loadout, especially high elo players or pros (careful, pros usually are using slightly different loadout as the premade meta is a bit different than casual or ranked)
    remember that you have 5 loadout slots per champion, I'd suggest to use 2-3 as ranked / casual / meme loadouts since you can have 2 different playstyle on a champion (3 exist but it's rare ^^' ) and keep the 2 remaining for your team loadouts if you play in a team, or as tests loadouts if you aren't

seriously, I usually use only one loadout per champion when playing ranked, rarely I'll use a different one for a specific situation, then I have 1 or 2 for when I play with my team (sometime it'll be the same loadout as my ranked one) then I have usually 1 for meme or test purpose

having one loadout per talent or playstyle isn't really necessary as you will be more comfy on a specific one and will end up using only this one and forget about the others ^^'

• So, I'll slowly complete this soon of course...

I like the current responses 😄

• Added a part on decision making and drafting cards