Ying Guide

• Ying is a support in Paladins. She has three talents: Focusing Lens, Resonance, and Life Exchange. Lot of conflicting opinions regarding her talents. For the most part, only one is viable in higher ranks. The other 2 are okay in certain situations, generally for a fun casual game.

Focusing Lens

This talent is a personal favorite of mine, but I'll use Life Exchange in ranked, so don't worry people! This talent gives you an extra 200 burst when you hit all 5 ticks. You damage every .5 seconds, so that's a burst of 650 every .5 seconds, and 1300 every second. Your illusions actually explode and deal 500 burst damage each. Assuming one illusion is down, you do a burst of 1800 damage every second, and a burst of 2300 every second when both illusions are down. The problem with this talent is that Ying's base healing is bad. She heals for 420-840 every 1.6 seconds, which isn't enough to sustain a team. Especially since each illusion can only heal one person at a time, and you can't pick who they target. She's not the best damage support because she mostly deals single target damage unlike Pip and Grohk. Though I have 2 loadouts for this talent. Damage healer: Carry on at 4, Encouragement at 3, Ephemeral or Mesmerism at 3, Rewind at 1, and Spring Bloom or Squadron at 4. Carry On means your illusions last longer, so sustain your tank even more. Encouragement at 3 reduces all active cooldowns by 3 seconds when you get an elimination. Ephemeral at 3 increases your reload speed by 24%, and Mesmerism at 3 generates 3 ammo when you place an illusion. Spring Bloom at 4 means that when an enemy destroys your illusion, it has a 2 second cooldown, and Squadron at 4 means that your illusion has 400 extra health. Rewind means that using dimensional link respawns a dead illusion back, at the same spot, for 20% of their health. Pure damage: Brittle at 4, Encouragement at 4, Pursuit at 1, Spring Bloom at 2, and Ephemeral/Mesmerism at 5. Brittle at 4 puts your shatter cooldown to 2 seconds and Pursuit at 1 means your illusions move 8% faster.

Strategy

Damaging Healer means you can focus on healing the tanks, while getting crazy damage numbers. If you shatter to get burst damage, just dimensional link to bring them back. This way you can give your tank some sustain, while focusing on damage. Pure Damage means you are really focusing on damage. You're more like a damage that can heal. Your illusions sustain yourself for the most part, but you can substitute as healer when the main healer dies, and you ult when the team is in a pinch. Items: cauterize, morale boost, and filler items depending on the situation. You're damaging a lot, so buy cauterize. Don't focus on wrecker/bulldozer though because that increased 200 burst damage doesn't apply to shields or deployables. Morale Boost to spam your ult. Your ult is life saving, so please use it. The rest depends on the situation.

Resonance

I personally don't care for this talent, even as a damage talent. In my opinion you have less damage than Focusing Lens and less healing than Life Exchange; the worst of both worlds. Though it does have a niche, and I have used it before. Cards: Spring Bloom at 5, Efficiency at 5, Rewind at 1, Spring Forward at 2-3. and the last card is filler. Spring Bloom means that when someone destroys your illusions, the cooldown is from 4 seconds to 1.5 seconds. Efficiency at 5 lowers dimensional link's cooldown by 5 seconds. Rewind is explained above. Spring Forward at 2-3 means your dimensional link lasts .7-1.4 seconds longer. My filler card is encouragement at 2 or 3.

Strategy

This is the talent to use against people that destroy your illusions, similar to tinkering Barik. It's great against: Terminus, Fernando, Maelstrom Grohk, Bomb King/Willo/Drogoz/Dredge, Koga, Zhin, Pip, Ash, etc. When they destroy your illusions, you damage their point tank and get a fresh illusion to burst heal your tank with. A good Resonance Ying can constantly have a fresh cycle of illusions providing a bunch of damage and healing. With Spring forward, you can constantly dimensional link, when your illusions expire, to spam illusions and explode them for a bunch of burst damage. 420 burst per illusion replaced, and 500 burst damage per illusion destroyed. You can even lower encouragement to 1 and put Spring Forward to 4, for even more illusion recycling. This talent is different from focusing lens though. Unlike focusing lens, you actually want your illusions to die (either by expiring or someone destroying them), and you don't want to shatter them, so don't waste a card slot on it. Items: similar to focusing lens, only the item prioritization is different. You want to prioritize morale boost to spam your ult. The rest of the cards are filler. Cauterize is good, but most of your damage is going to come from your illusions, and your illusions don't apply caut. Caut is still a great choice for your base damage though. Defensive items to help with your sustain.

Life Exchange

The healbot talent. As the only support, you want to use this talent. You can control who you heal and it has a ranged burst heal of 800 instant. Even with the nerf to brittle, it's her best talent for healing. Cards: Brittle at 5, Carry on at 3, Rewind at 1, Fracture at 2, and the last card is Squadron at 4. Fracture at 2 is the new card that heals your illusions for 40% of their health when you use shatter. This allows the regular illusion heal of 420-840 every 1.6 seconds, and you get to burst heal an ally for 800 every 2.5 seconds. In order to heal for that burst 800, your aim has to be precise, and you have to look at the person you're healing.

Strategy

You're basically a heal bot, but you do 900 damage every second when you hit all your ticks, so remember that. You can damage with your base weapon while also hitting a life exchange heal on your point tank/damage that's near you. You have to be aware of your allies' health, so that when they get low, you can look for them, ask them to peak you, and hit a burst heal real quick. Items: Chronos for the Life Exchange heals and Morale boost. The rest are filler depending on the team.

• Nice guide, so painful to watch someone pick Ying, not buy morale boost, and then hold onto their ults like it was the last of a endangered species or something instead of using it to confirm point caps and such.

Also I highly recommend avoiding LE if you're in solo queue because that extra DPS can sometimes compensate for your lack of considerate teammates, definitely helped me more times than it should have lol

• I learned a Resonance Strategy from Vex30, the PPL player. (I tweaked his method a little bit)

Here is the link for his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNo_qqoh7Nc

The basic requirement of this strategy are:

Loadout card "Brittle" level 5 + 2 clones (+ chronos level 1 if you have 30+ ping)

Step:

1. This Strategy simply uses Ying clones to locate enemies and potentially deal 1000+ damage just by holding "right click".

2. Also, after dealing damage, you can hit "F" to blink close to the enemies and begin a close range combat. (Trust me, a lot of time you can "one hit" your enemy at this point)

3. After the combat, if you can get a kill, you can hit "F" to blink back and pretend nothing happen but annoy enemy back line.

4. Plus, if you have "Rewind" card in you loadout, enemy might hit your clone or you can "right click" shatter it real quickly to deal 500 more damage.

A successful process can deal 1500+ damage.

https://streamable.com/u3lhw
    https://streamable.com/lc301

The drawback of this strategy is using "F" ability to being aggressive instead of saving it for escaping and not healing teammates at all.

So if you can't deal 1000+ damage by using this strategy above, it is not worth using. The reason is your team would not receive any heal for 10+ sec so there is a high chance get "team wipe" and a lot of "VHS". After that, you will find out your team start to lose hope and throwing.

I heard Evil Mojo team have being thinking to rework Resonance talent so I hope I still can use this strategy in the future because getting kill as resonance Ying is really satisfied.

• @LilianaOuO The clone army. Yeah it's hilarious. 🙂

• @OriginalEquinox said in Ying Guide:

Nice guide, so painful to watch someone pick Ying, not buy morale boost, and then hold onto their ults like it was the last of a endangered species or something instead of using it to confirm point caps and such.

Also I highly recommend avoiding LE if you're in solo queue because that extra DPS can sometimes compensate for your lack of considerate teammates, definitely helped me more times than it should have lol

I've had moments where I regretted going Life Exchange. lol. Really, they need to buff her base healing so that we wouldn't have to pick the healbot talent without people getting triggered and tilted.

If I don't trust people, I usually go focusing lens and prioritize morale boost so that even though my base healing isn't the best, maybe I can make it up with my ult.

• @LilianaOuO said in Ying Guide:

I learned a Resonance Strategy from Vex30, the PPL player. (I tweaked his method a little bit)

Here is the link for his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNo_qqoh7Nc

The basic requirement of this strategy are:

Loadout card "Brittle" level 5 + 2 clones (+ chronos level 1 if you have 30+ ping)

Step:

1. This Strategy simply uses Ying clones to locate enemies and potentially deal 1000+ damage just by holding "right click".

2. Also, after dealing damage, you can hit "F" to blink close to the enemies and begin a close range combat. (Trust me, a lot of time you can "one hit" your enemy at this point)

3. After the combat, if you can get a kill, you can hit "F" to blink back and pretend nothing happen but annoy enemy back line.

4. Plus, if you have "Rewind" card in you loadout, enemy might hit your clone or you can "right click" shatter it real quickly to deal 500 more damage.

A successful process can deal 1500+ damage.

https://streamable.com/u3lhw
    https://streamable.com/lc301

The drawback of this strategy is using "F" ability to being aggressive instead of saving it for escaping and not healing teammates at all.

So if you can't deal 1000+ damage by using this strategy above, it is not worth using. The reason is your team would not receive any heal for 10+ sec so there is a high chance get "team wipe" and a lot of "VHS". After that, you will find out your team start to lose hope and throwing.

I heard Evil Mojo team have being thinking to rework Resonance talent so I hope I still can use this strategy in the future because getting kill as resonance Ying is really satisfied.

The problem with resonance is that you don't get much extra. A lot of people have been suggesting a slow on shatter or an area heal on shatter. Actually, I like that idea. Replace Life Exchange with resonance, but your shatters damage the enemy for a burst 500 or 1,000, but also heal your allies for a burst 500 or 1,000. If not, then maybe the explosion roots or causes a slow.

• @LilianaOuO my most fun experience with resonance was dueling a Lian, forcing her to ult at low HP, then blink away and watch her kill herself by shooting my clone lol. The talent may not be viable in high level pro play but it's definitely not weak either, those constant 500-1k bursts are a nightmare on point fights and small maps like Brightmarsh, reason it isn't popular imo is the inconsistency on blink, can't count how many times I've died because it kept teleporting me to the very spot i tried to escape from instead of the clone a mile away that I was aiming at the entire time.

Wish there was a visual indicator to let us know where we can teleport to

• @OriginalEquinox I agree with you. The clone indicators are not noticeable during the game play. Hope developers can place them around the cross hair or give us some choice where we put them at.

• @HeartQueen Yes, resonance sometime can not help us confirm the kill because she is not defined as a flanker or damage. And the awkward fact is the clones would not heal teammates after being shattering.

Hope developer think twice before changing it.

• One of my most fun games in Paladins was once as a Resonance Ying with Rewind in the deck, spamming Dimensional Link and Shatter to deal loads of damage.

I ended the game outdamaging a Dredge XD

• Well guide is wrong. RESONANCE is the best talent not the worst. You can basically make your enemies kill themselves with this talent. Another thing when Ying dies her illiusions disappear. While using resonance they deal damage when they disappear. Meaning Ying can get a kill even got killed. Resonance is the most strategic and versatile talent of Ying.

• @jocasela

Paladins Community in 2018: "Ying is bad off meta character cuz she can't target heals because good heal prioritization is everything on support."

EM: gives Life Exchange to aim your heal and Ying becomes meta.

Paladins Community in 2019:

Well guide is wrong. RESONANCE is the best talent not the worst. You can basically make your enemies kill themselves with this talent. Another thing when Ying dies her illiusions disappear. While using resonance they deal damage when they disappear. Meaning Ying can get a kill even got killed. Resonance is the most strategic and versatile talent of Ying.

• Reso is fun KEK