Things To Prepare Before Ranked

• Have you ever thought that Ranked is a really-really annoying place? It's a place where the game records your stats and all of a sudden you get a person playing Ruckus with his default loadout cause he has 0 games on Ruckus before, and your team needs a tank, it's the only one he owns.

Well this is a rather short list of things that people should do before they should think of playing Ranked.

OH yeah.... THIS IS NOT A RANT!

Enjoy!

Learn The Meta

I'm not joking here. when I was stuck in Silver II (A tier I personally deserve to be higher in because right now I've been winning every single one of my ranked games post Qualifying) MM somehow managed to make someone who is qualifying the Picker and the Banner.

He then decides to ban Kinessa and Drogoz in Ascension Peak. Not exactly bad bans in my opinion, but... The fact that he left out Makoa, Atlas, Willo, Jenos and Strix is just absurd.

We got first pick, and I wanted him to pick Atlas because it was left out. He didn't pick Atlas because he only owns Koa and Ruckus for his tanks.

Our first pick became Skye (naturally) and they got Atlas and Jenos for their first two picks.

I won that game (fortunately) because their Atlas DC'ed, and their DPS was kinda dumb.

But, it's absurd that somebody decides to play Ranked without even remotely trying to listen or read chat until he made the picks and bans... And not owning a single meta champion.

It's a bit silly if I say people should follow the meta all the time, but in this case, I think you should at least know what to pick and what to ban before you play Ranked.

If you want to know the meta, refer to Paladins.guru (naturally) and check proper tierlists.

Read Chat

Should you not have the time or not want to check the meta, just read chat. At least listen to your teammates before you make the decision for them. Champion trading is a thing remember... Even if you want Skye, at least pick up the Khan for the first pick...

Self-explanatory.

Build a loadout for every champion

Any random loadout is technically better than the default loadout. Please build a custom loadout for every champion because you don't know what you are going to end up playing...

You can read how right here...

Please Pick Proper Talents

Before saying that a champion is viable in ranked, the said champion needs to have their proper talent first...

Refer to what talents to pick... here, and treat champions that you don't own the best talent with as champions you can't play, even if you could. It's annoying to see Evie run Snow Globe or Over The Moon because she isn't level 8 yet.

Know How To Build A Proper Team Comp

Roles and subroles are crucial to know before you play Ranked. This is @TangAce referring and explaining his take on Roles and Subroles, and I think you should read that before you even think of playing Ranked.

Here's my take in a nutshell.

• No more than 1 flank should be in each team.
    • Healers are necessary, even bad ones like Grohk are better than owning no healer
    • It is recommended to play with two tanks, one Point Tank and one Offtank, or with two Offtanks or two Point tanks. Much better than just one Offtank or one Point Tank.
    • Please don't be selfish in ranked, comps matter a lot (even in Silver)
    • It is nice to own at least 7 tanks (not entirely necessary) since you might see 3 get banned out before you play Ranked....

And with that, this guide is complete! Simple, but necessary!

• PC

this is pretty good

you forgot about items πŸ™‚
    they probably should also read other guides before going ranked...

about teams comps, I wanna say that sometimes having 2 flanks can be good, grohk is pretty good with the correct comp ^^ but people will just hate you for playing it ( I had 90% winrate with my heal grohk in S1 btw)
    having a flank isn't mandatory !!!! you can play double damage most of the time

and you forgot, trust your teammates, even if they pick something weird like resoying, if they do so then most of the time they know what they are doing and will play better than you ^^' ofc if they garbage then you can report, but trolling a game because of an offmeta pick is just stupid

always try to win, no matter what !

• PC

@Demigod You need to own even the commonly banned fronts for the instances when they do become available. Once time I was able to get Makoa as third picker because all the other morons (on both teams) didn't own him.

I agree with what @TangAce said regarding flanks and damage. Many times two damages or two flanks are appropriate over the 1 flank 1 damage scheme.

I'll add a single point tank like say Inara can work with a good primary support and an off damage style support that can add some supplemental healing.

• PC

My teammares don't let me play ranked.

• PC

@DambaKing said in Things To Prepare Before Ranked:

What are teammares and how do they stop you?

• PC

I can't play ranked cuz my duos ain't playing and other people have to low rank

• PC

@TangAce Too chicken to solo Q? Bauk Bauk Bauk πŸ™‚

What do you mean too low a rank. Is there some new restriction in place?

PS: If you feel like it take a look (laugh) at my Elena champion concept...

Edit: I just looked at the ranked page: https://paladins.gamepedia.com/Ranked
    I see it says diamond can pair with plat and higher. Since when? I've seen them paired with golds. What happens if a diamond Qs with an un-ranked for the split?

Also -- It says 14 champion requirement again. Which one is it for real? 12 or 14 - I mean get it together.

• PC

@DaddyOoker

no new restriction but most diamonds don't have a good lvl, since my goal is to reach gm I'm not gonna play with anyone

requirement is 14, diamond can't play with unranked or golds in party

• PC

@DaddyOoker said in Things To Prepare Before Ranked:

They are:

• Trolling
    • Selfish
    • Pick cardio viktor (and sometimes running all match)

• PC

@DaddyOoker said in Things To Prepare Before Ranked:

They are:

• Trolling
    • Selfish
    • Pick cardio viktor (and sometimes running all match)

How does that stop you? Same stuff happens in quick play.. Do you not play at all now? I fail to see the difference.

• PC

@DaddyOoker yeah it happens in casual too, I just see silver II (It was silver IV) Is bad enough I don’t want to go to bronze. (And trust me my teammates is the reason why I am silver, I deserve gold)

• PC

@DaddyOoker Also I can't stand seeing my team banning koga

• PC

@DambaKing

You don't get a frame for either so what's the big deal. You can always get out of it by the only thing that actually matters... winning.

Forget the bans. Potato banning leaves more desirables on the table to choose from. Take advantage of it.

• PC

@TangAce said in Things To Prepare Before Ranked:

@DaddyOoker

no new restriction but most diamonds don't have a good lvl, since my goal is to reach gm I'm not gonna play with anyone

requirement is 14, diamond can't play with unranked or golds in party

See party 2? Must be a gray area..

https://paladins.guru/match/censored/9OHDBx3og

stupid.png

• PC

@DaddyOoker

that's guru bugging, the api doesn't handle parties very well, especially when someone is in hidden profile
    I can assure you it's not possible as I am above diamond and I can't do it, considering the game's elo and ranks I'd say that D5 rank isn't a diamond but a gold something rank

• Guess I'll edit about items

• PC

@TangAce said in Things To Prepare Before Ranked:

@DaddyOoker

that's guru bugging, the api doesn't handle parties very well, especially when someone is in hidden profile
    I can assure you it's not possible as I am above diamond and I can't do it, considering the game's elo and ranks I'd say that D5 rank isn't a diamond but a gold something rank

I have never caught guru reporting the wrong rank.. Well I think you're wrong about that level 416 being gold. I dug more into the Jenos. He was gold for a bit then moved to plat. As you can see the BK (the same level 416) is still diamond.

https://paladins.guru/match/censored/8GHomLgDA

no.png

• @DaddyOoker I pity that qualifying Barik and Pip

• PC

@Demigod
    you shouldn't, first that barik is probably better than you think, if he's partner then his stream has at least a bunch of viewers, surely a former diam in qualif
    when I play my qualif matches I can play vs diam master and gm, depending on when I do my first ranked
    that pip well either smurf or rip, but honestly dat moji looks bad af

about guru, it reported wrong ranks for me all the time, I think it might still say I was silver something in S0 while I really was plat lmao
    just that new split it took a week before it changes my rank lel

• PC

@TangAce That Moji got top credits - lol. Match link is above the photo.