Flanknando is back?

• I've recently watched the Jayflare video where he promises that Flanknando will be back with the 3.1 patch. I tried to play Nando with scorch now, but my impression is, that he is even weaker than before. The cooldown of fireball is now 5 seconds instead of 3. So he lost 40% of his fireball damage. Therefor he gets 30% more damage with scorch. Which means in a 1on1 he deals less damage than before.

The running-speed-bonus card "hot pursuit" has an internal cooldown of 6 seconds. So to use this properly I have to increase my fireball cooldown to six seconds (only pick incinerate 2) - which means another 20% of fireball damage is lost.

Maybe I miss something but I don't understand how this is supposed to work.

I could imagine that Tanknando works better instead, since Formidible is more effective against the nerfed cauterize and his shield vs the nerfed wrecker. Haven't tried that yet.

• @M3RC3N4RI0 tried it as well, doesn't feel very worthwhile to run that setup even after the "buffs" tbh, you're better off making him a proper point tank even though he sucks there as well

• @OriginalEquinox I will definitely try. But you are probably right, compared to the new tanks his skills seem quite generic and old fashioned. Damage, a shield, that's it. His special was the chain fireball that offered heal, speed and extra damage.

• Flanknando can be back... Not always though. His burst is good, and he is very good vs burst champs like Cassie Lian and VIvian that melts squishies...

He's a good offtank situationally, and maybe better than he was before IMO...

• They made Barik a monster therefor. The cooldown reduction when a turret is destroyed is so op. 💨

• Fernando never left.

Winning is not dependent on one character, but a team effort. If a team refuses to play together, we can have the most powerful character in the game and still consistantly lose.

• PC

Fernando was honestly underrated a bit before this patch as it was. He was definitely mediocre, but honestly a decent player could still make him work. Definitely not the worst tank in the game (Ruckus was WAY worse). Not D tier, more like A or A-.

Now, he's perhaps the best off tank in the game (I'd debate Raum and Atlas are still better) if you know what you're doing. He takes a degree of game sense and positioning skill (as well as a decent amount of jump strafing in close quarters), but it works really well. As for the concern about the nerf to the CD of Fireball, that nerf is beyond negligible. Take an extra rank of Fearless Leader (III or IV) along with Incinerate V and you should literally never have a problem with the CD of it unless you spam it needlessly. Plus, new Looks that Kill gives him plenty of mobility on demand every time you get a spicy fireball hit. There's also the Scorch rework that makes the damage boost ACTUALLY CONSISTENT, and straight up better even on hit 2. It almost feels like a not broken version of beta Flank Nando, where you could deal pretty crazy burst damage with no fall-off while still being a tank.

Honestly he can also point pretty decently as well with the indirect buffs to Formidable in the form of Caut nerfs, as well as the new Towering Barrier that reduces shield CD. I'd say he's frankly an S tier right now.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in Flanknando is back?:

They made Barik a monster therefor. The cooldown reduction when a turret is destroyed is so op. 💨

That card is not even viable since they nerfed it, what? OMT is pretty much better in every possible scenario. Even before the nerf, it was really only a must have on Tinkerin builds (which are almost unviable as they were when it wasn't bad).

Really need to make a card tier list for Barik just to educate people.

• Umm... I'd love to see this...

Really need to make a card tier list for Barik just to educate people.

@Dusklicious said in Flanknando is back?:

Fernando was honestly underrated a bit before this patch as it was. He was definitely mediocre, but honestly a decent player could still make him work. Definitely not the worst tank in the game (Ruckus was WAY worse). Not D tier, more like A or A-.

Now, he's perhaps the best off tank in the game (I'd debate Raum and Atlas are still better) if you know what you're doing. He takes a degree of game sense and positioning skill (as well as a decent amount of jump strafing in close quarters), but it works really well. As for the concern about the nerf to the CD of Fireball, that nerf is beyond negligible. Take an extra rank of Fearless Leader (III or IV) along with Incinerate V and you should literally never have a problem with the CD of it unless you spam it needlessly. Plus, new Looks that Kill gives him plenty of mobility on demand every time you get a spicy fireball hit. There's also the Scorch rework that makes the damage boost ACTUALLY CONSISTENT, and straight up better even on hit 2. It almost feels like a not broken version of beta Flank Nando, where you could deal pretty crazy burst damage with no fall-off while still being a tank.

Honestly he can also point pretty decently as well with the indirect buffs to Formidable in the form of Caut nerfs, as well as the new Towering Barrier that reduces shield CD. I'd say he's frankly an S tier right now.

Point tank Fernando is definitely better than Point Tank Atlas. Also, as an offtank, I think only Atlas is better, because Raum is easier to counter with CC... Fernando is bursty if you know when and how to fireball. It's not that difficult to be honest.

Also, simple tip. When you fireball, don't left click with it. The game thinks you're still consuming ammo when you're not. If you let go of your left click when you fireball, you can regain around 40 ammo... It's simple.

Answering this in the form of yes or no... Flanknando is back? He's back! But he's not as busted as Beta Nando was.

• I gave up on Flanknando, I'd say he is dead. I play Tanknando now, with 5.3K health and 40% plus healing with rejuve 3, but 7 seconds CD on the fireball. 80% healing against cauterize 3. So gay.

That card is not even viable since they nerfed it, what?

You use it to set your shield more often. 1 turret gives 30% CD reduction. So the shield with the 2 turrets behind placed on point means 60% CD reduction when destroyed. A new shield in 5 seconds. And the shield is strong now that wrecker got nerfed.

• PC

I gave up on Flanknando, I'd say he is dead. I play Tanknando now, with 5.3K health and 40% plus healing with rejuve 3, but 7 seconds CD on the fireball. 80% healing against cauterize 3. So gay.

That card is not even viable since they nerfed it, what?

You use it to set your shield more often. 1 turret gives 30% CD reduction. So the shield with the 2 turrets behind placed on point means 60% CD reduction when destroyed. A new shield in 5 seconds. And the shield is strong now that wrecker got nerfed.

Well, that sounds like your loss. He's as strong as ever... And I don't even know what you predicate that on. A longer cooldown that really has no effect on it (especially when you can just take an extra rank of Fearless Leader and you won't even really notice the difference) compared to the effect the Scorch rework making the damage boost actually reliable (instead of before where you'd actually rarely get anything out of it), and new Looks that Kill that gives it more mobility.

... And then you'll have no turrets in the back, and also that takes rank 5 of the card to pull off (whereas, there are better arguments for other cards at rank 5, like Brave and Bold)... It's really so niche of a circumstance that would be even useful in over, well, better cards, that it's not worth building for. I mean it's really hard to justify even building it, when you'd need such an investment to make it useful in such a niche circumstance. Not to mention, that even in an Architectonics build, you'd have to wait 7 seconds between turret placements anyways... This also begs the question, "what about when your shield is down?" I mean at that point all you have left up is your dash for at the least 2 seconds, and that's if the shield lasts.

• "Fearless Leader" worked on Eliminations. It's easier to get turrets destroyed than to destroy opponents.

When the shield drops I have usually full HP and use my Rocket boots to reach a safe place, heal up and attack again to put my shield on point. Barik can now gain time on the point against two tanks what was impossible before.

• PC

"Fearless Leader" worked on Eliminations. It's easier to get turrets destroyed than to destroy opponents.

When the shield drops I have usually full HP and use my Rocket boots to reach a safe place, heal up and attack again to put my shield on point. Barik can now gain time on the point against two tanks what was impossible before.

That honestly just sounds like you're trying to work backwards from a conclusion. It may seem easier, but problems start arising when you have no more turrets to sac, and you have to wait 7 more seconds for a gimmick, while pretty much not having a fundamental part of your kit. Not to mention, elims aren't really that difficult when you take into account that you don't actually have to do much other than do a little damage for it to proc it on an assist, and it's still only a little more than half of what you'd get off of OMT, much more reliably.

It was never impossible to begin with... Plus what you're suggesting here leaves you absurdly vulnerable, being without literally all of your abilities after the shield is down, for at the least 2 seconds, but more than likely probably around 4 or 5. Somebody finds you and bursts you from there, well, you're just completely screwed in that situation. Either that or you have to use up your Failsafe dash and still quite likely not even survive.

• @Dusklicious said in Flanknando is back?:

Not to mention, elims aren't really that difficult when you take into account that you don't actually have to do much other than do a little damage for it to proc it on an assist

You are wrong. Your teammates have to kill the champs for you to get the elimination. Sorry but this is not a political discussion one can win with the better sophistry.

• Don't derail the topic @M3RC3N4RI0 @Dusklicious

It's about Nando, not Barik

• I think I might have used a bad loadout. I experimented a bit and with a new loadout, based on Charge for mobility instead of fireballs, plus chronos.

The problem with Hot Pursuit seems to be the internal cooldown of 6 seconds. So either I have to keep my Fireball cooldown up at 6 seconds - which means no chronos - or I only get the speed boost every 2nd fireball.

If I use Running Start - Increase your Movement Speed by {10|10}% for 3s after using Charge then I can lower my fireball CD down to 4 seconds with chronos. More damage and also more chances to proc "Looks that kill" or "Brand". And also more fun, running around and tossing fireballs is after all the good old Nando-style.

• @M3RC3N4RI0 I don't entirely recommend Chronos cuz of the fact that Fearless Leader has better value if you know how to manage it. It can work situationally.

Here's my loadout for Flanknando.

Scorch:

Looks That Kill IV - Incinerate IV - Brand III - Fearless Leader III - Filler I (I love Unstoppable Force and Launch)

This offers sustained mobility through Looks that Kill over Burst mobility through Hot Pursuit.

Basically most Nando decks run Looks that Kill, Incinerate, and Brand, just depending on value. I don't think we'd see a deck without those three (heck, four with Fearless Leader) cards to be honest.

• @Demigod I have Looks That Kill V and Running Start V for zooming around. More fireballs with Chronos means more running. I don't use Brand since no points left.