Drafting Guide for Ranked/Competitive

• PC

Nice job.

I'll add that having most, preferably all, the champions is a necessity so anyone can pick what's needed at the appropriate time. You don't have to be able to play them all but you must have the ability to pick anything. You can later swap with a willing teammate at the end of the draft.

Key to all of this is cooperation and communication.

• Problem is, that below Diamond rank there is no cooperation. The last guy will write "Me Damba" and then pick Damba no matter what the others do. Also the opinions what is a good or weak champion are very different and in no relation to winrates. If Terminus has a 65% winrate at Platin rank this can't convince people that he is a good pick at Platin rank. It was always funny that Seris who had by far the lowest winrate of all supports was believed to be a super effective healer.

• @M3RC3N4RI0 You are correct, but even if a couple off people in the draft are picking based on the enemy team comp its helps a great deal.... I had a game just last night where i was last pick... We had zhin on split stone and i was concerned about his ability to deal with kinessa.... Picked Ash as the off tank and ran slug shot. I was able to zone the sniper out at the start of every point fight. I did not get top kills or top tank or top damage but i had a huge impact on the point fight as Nessa was shooting at me most of the time. She tried to ult me 4 times. Mean while my team is calling me names because they have no clue how much pressure im taking off all of them.

• This is some really good info that talks about counter picks. Picking to counter the other team is great, however the biggest issue i see in rank is picking something that is already countered.

Aka the other team picks Tyra... You should not be picking Raum into Tyra....
    You should not be picking Raum into Jenos, that can just pick you up every time you try to run...
    Dont pick Drogoz into Andro

https://paladinscounter.com/champions

This web site list champs that champs are strong against and champs they are weak against....
    If you go to grok you can see that willow is the top vote for strong against... Willow is a hard coutner to grok healing... You can learn allot from looking at this site.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 Sometimes I write "Me Tarzan" when people do that.

My ranked S2 WR was ~70% with Seris for both my accounts - always as MR. Seris "WAS" effective at raw healing before - now not so much.

@shadowchess I've seen that counters site before. Looks like they've updated the info as it was stale for quite a while. Anyway, It's opinion based and without knowing what skill level the voters are it's kind of useless info. There aren't that many voters either.

• VVGN Ciruchan

Ur impressive... Thanks for this

• PC

good guide, I'll add it to list tomorrow cuz it's 2am already ^^' also you should mention some stuff only worth mentioning for diamond and above, exemple : BK who's first ban worthy ^^'''' or even cassie/lian depending on map, even vik could get a ban on specific map

and you should explain more of the basic guideline for a good draft rather than just champs
    like how one should ban / pick depending on enemy bans and picks

like if they ban strix I have to ban nessa in sniper map(except maybe in quarry because of vik/lian)
    or if they ban drogoz, they prob want bk (and they surely have no idea how to draft but that's an other story)
    if they pick drogoz you prob want to pick a hitscan
    if they get torv you surely want to get barik to deny them, also because jenos restrict tank picks a lot (you don't wanna play term with a jenos) while barik will do good with any support, that's also why u usually don't want a jenos first pick

and so on

but drafting is difficult and I'm not the best at it (I'm still decent drafter I think, or hope...)

• @TangAce said in Drafting Guide for Ranked/Competitive:

you should mention some stuff only worth mentioning for diamond and above, example : BK who's first ban worthy ^^'''' or even cassie/lian depending on map, even vik could get a ban on specific map

I find this to be the most difficult part to write about as the ranked experience is as good as RNG. You never know how well a player is going to play a champion, and drafting becomes completely irrelevant if you manage to get Koga or Zhin and the player who plays it ends up hard feeding. Here is where I stress "your mileage may vary." For the most part, once you hit Masters & GM and you're consistently 1st or 2nd pick, you have to either adjust your bans to accommodate for the skill level of your teammates or pick an hard carry champion and try to solo the game. Any ranks below that it's pretty much a wildcard.

and you should explain more of the basic guideline for a good draft rather than just champs
    like how one should ban / pick depending on enemy bans and picks

I've avoided specific draft examples as those goes deeper into team compositions and strategies.

I might do another guide on different compositions. Team compositions and drafting do go hand in hand, but it is also a very complex topic as it dives into win/lose conditions and how one adapts to those conditions to ensure victory.

• PC

@ciruchan

I couldn't agree more, Ranked is RNG

honestly I'm gonna quit the game simply because of the matchmaking is making it difficult for me to keep playing, don't even have the will anymore

making a guide on team comps and advanced drafting could be great, but overall outside of premade matches everything is just RNG

• The hard reset did not improve the matchmaking. Player with high skills are mixed in Bronze and Silver rank teams. I hope this will get better after a while.