Tanks are not fun :(

• Console Player Just letting your know about a console players struggle.

Before the big season 3 patch tanks were able to actually do something for the team instead of actually just sitting there on point. Tanks like Barik or ash just don’t feel right playing them now. With the nerf to ashes charge being reduced to 75 makes her less of a sustain tank or shields in general just make the game a dps slaughter house being free credits for the dps.

In my opinion the only tanks I really have fun playing (and yes I do know how to play all tanks im a tank main) is inara, Terminus, and Ruckus. I know tanks are not supposed to dps and I get that but why nerf most to all tanks to make them basically unplayable. You might as well have a 3 dps 2 healer composition in competitive due to how much you are feeding by playing tank. Tanks right now are just bodies on point nothing else and I’m sure no one wants to play like that.

Before season 3 I main mostly Makoa, Barik Torvald and Ash but again all of them just feel like meat shields ok the point doing little to no damage like your just tickling the enemy. The shield nerf was heavy again targeting tanks. I know the community does not want to just shoot into shields all day but you had wrecker, tyras fire bomb (which I don’t like even now), cauterize which didn’t even change so its still 90%, and many more counters you don’t need to be facing the tanks shield you can flank it go through it, around it if you really want.

In conclusion tanks are not fun anymore in my opinion. Season 3 changes messed up my style of play and I don’t know how to recover. The more dps you have the more likely you are to win the game (24 dps compared to 13 tanks and 9 healers). I still can’t believe there buffing Skye and never nerfing her( I have not seen patch boys in a while so i don’t know for sure to be honest). Console is even worse for players against Skye, talus, and Tyra due to Hi-Rez’s dumb hitbox system where you aim 5 feet of the actual player and you are still getting hit markers combined with aim assist is basically aimbot lol. I just wish console specific changes were a thing to be honest. 😕

And hey maybe you guys think differently I respect that but this is my opinion if you have comments to make just try to make based on you opinion, your feedback on season 3 tanks and if you agree with me why/not?

• Patch notes*

• @Fungamelul I agree with you. I play Makoa and it was fun plucking people and murdering them but now they nerfed his weapon and it feels like pea cannon. But theres a bit of good news for Makoa next patch. They're making his shield 4000 and it opens a possibility for an almost infinite shield loadout which I can't wait to try.

• Barik should be fine, have you adapted your deck? Tinker is gone but he got lots of heal and shield in return. I think he is the best tank atm. His only weakness is cripple.

• I "main" with a tank. I like doing it because I feel it's a very important role that most players have no idea how to use. Yes, I do have fun as a tank when my team is actually working together. Though often, the match may not be fun because of a clueless team.

• This post is deleted!

• PC

I disagree. I find tanks to be very fun, but I'm a tank main to be fair. Barik is extremely good with really high damage output and isn't that difficult to learn to play semi-effectively, Terminus is really good and also one of the most fun characters in the game honestly, and Raum still kind of feels like a fat damage champion on steroids. Also Scorch Nando should be mentioned here too because bursting somebody down with him is pretty fun in my opinion. Though I'll play some Andro or Kinessa or Vik if I want or more likely need to play DPS.

• I'm with you guys. I love a bit of tanking. I get far too much enjoyment out of Inara's Warders Field and watching everyone try and escape. A few fireballs to the face with Nando or sending people flying with Ash's Blast Cannon - top fun. Nothing wrong with being a Main.

Except Atlas. F that guy.

• PC

@Fungamelul not all tanks are boring, some are fun like fernando and barik, however, it may depend in your skill with them, if you are a noob terminus (in example) you will not enjoy playing him.

• @Dusklicious

Tanks is one of the hardest roles to play, people have this impression that you just stand around on point being carried to victory. But it requires a ton of game since to play point tank. I think its fun as you can win a match with 35 HP scraping for every moment.

I think that the current state of tanks is about as balanced as i have seen in this game to date. Some of the tanks need some buffs on the sustain not the damage.

Atlas needs his cool downs reduced, without the high damage his cool downs are just to long.

Makoa has the same issue as Atlas, without the damage his cool downs are to long.
    needs half shell to be in his base kit and 4000 health to be his base shield
    New talent Shell Spin does 600 damage
    Card that adds health
    Card that adds life steal on shot
    Rework Leviathan to Dome shield is half the size but makoa has two charges

Fernando Needs to be able to put his shield up and down during the shield. Aka for the 8 seconds he can use his shield like Khans.

Tanks are fun however if you achieve all your fun from eliminations then they may not be the class for you.

• They nerf the 3 best tanks in this patch, Barik, Raum and Torv, and they nerf them hard, so now all tanks are mediocre. Yes Barik is fun to play, but just because he is strong and versatile. Most tanks are no fun.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in Tanks are not fun 😞:

They nerf the 3 best tanks in this patch, Barik, Raum and Torv, and they nerf them hard, so now all tanks are mediocre. Yes Barik is fun to play, but just because he is strong and versatile. Most tanks are no fun.

Not all tanks are mediocre. Barik and Term (Term honestly was and now definitely is stronger than Raum, but I could see it going either way) are both still really good, at least from what I was able to play on PTS. Most tanks are honestly in a balanced state in 3.2 it seems like, with those two, Ruckus (who's still not tanky enough to compete with other off-tanks), Torv, and Atlas being exceptions. In fact they're all viable except Torv and Atlas probably.

Barik in particular is still insanely good, you just can't use Double Time as a crutch anymore. Which I never did anyways. Well, I did only for a meme build that's now unusable. Didn't really seriously use much Double Time. Field Deploy's nerfs don't really feel like they are quite as much as they seem on paper. Honestly, he might still need nerfs because they didn't entirely address the real issue with Barik. Only thing that will be significantly worse is actually his worst talent.

• I had a great match today. I was the Frontline (as I usually am) and my team knew how to work with me - getting behind my shield and keeping me alive. Damage and Support were exceptional!

• @Dusklicious said in Tanks are not fun 😞:

Most tanks are honestly in a balanced state in 3.2 it seems like,

Well, mediocre and balanced are more or less the same or not? I used Double Time as a heal. Whenever I lost HP I used my boots to heal up to full again. Behind the shield or behind the corner to avoid caut. Wait a few secs and ready to go again. Being healer undependent is so nice as a tank. 🙂

They didn't nerf only Double Time but all his heals, the turret heals are also halved. What remains is bowling ball. If I adapt my strat from hanging around near point to being on point this may work, since he is more tanky with this. I'll also switch to architectonics I think.

• Makoa's shield with the correct loadout and chronos 3 vs high damage is 100% instantaneous. High damage means 5k in 4 secs on your shield. If at least 2.5k damage is dealt on your shield (with chronos 3), the shield cooldown becomes 5 seconds instead of 14. That is when you have the correct loadout ( I don't remember any of the cards' names but one of the cards reduces the cooldown by by 5 secs at level 5 and the other increase shield's health by 1000 at level 5). Anyways that can make Makoas shield infinite and it always satisfies me when I manage to shield a high damage assault.

• PC

@thenextyay ahhhhh shit!! No evil mojo will read this and nerf your main!!

• It's going to be discovered sooner or later. Or it could be intentional after they gave Makoa a peo cannon.

• They don't feel fun because Hi-Rez keeps nerfing them. It's like Overwatch all over again where they keep nerfing tanks and supports into the ground. They're nerfing Barik's sustain which was literally all he fucking had. Tinkering is dead so no long ranged poke, and bowling ball was nerfed to crap. Double Time was a good card, but they ruined that because crybaby dps mains were complaining about Barik not dying. ??? Barik is a point tank, he's supposed to be hard to kill.

@Conrad_Max said in Tanks are not fun 😞:

I "main" with a tank. I like doing it because I feel it's a very important role that most players have no idea how to use. Yes, I do have fun as a tank when my team is actually working together. Though often, the match may not be fun because of a clueless team.

That's why I liked Barik. Even with a bad team you could have impact with him. Same with Khan, Atlas, Ash, and Makoa.

@Dusklicious said in Tanks are not fun 😞:

I disagree. I find tanks to be very fun, but I'm a tank main to be fair. Barik is extremely good with really high damage output and isn't that difficult to learn to play semi-effectively, Terminus is really good and also one of the most fun characters in the game honestly, and Raum still kind of feels like a fat damage champion on steroids. Also Scorch Nando should be mentioned here too because bursting somebody down with him is pretty fun in my opinion. Though I'll play some Andro or Kinessa or Vik if I want or more likely need to play DPS.

I think what he means is that tanks literally keep getting nerfed, and they're not as fun anymore. Tanks are getting to the point where they have almost no impact in a game except for a few.

They nerf the 3 best tanks in this patch, Barik, Raum and Torv, and they nerf them hard, so now all tanks are mediocre. Yes Barik is fun to play, but just because he is strong and versatile. Most tanks are no fun.

Not all tanks are mediocre. Barik and Term (Term honestly was and now definitely is stronger than Raum, but I could see it going either way) are both still really good, at least from what I was able to play on PTS. Most tanks are honestly in a balanced state in 3.2 it seems like, with those two, Ruckus (who's still not tanky enough to compete with other off-tanks), Torv, and Atlas being exceptions. In fact they're all viable except Torv and Atlas probably.

Barik in particular is still insanely good, you just can't use Double Time as a crutch anymore. Which I never did anyways. Well, I did only for a meme build that's now unusable. Didn't really seriously use much Double Time. Field Deploy's nerfs don't really feel like they are quite as much as they seem on paper. Honestly, he might still need nerfs because they didn't entirely address the real issue with Barik. Only thing that will be significantly worse is actually his worst talent.

Barik does not need more nerfs. It's like Overwatch all over again where only tanks and supports are nerfed. Do you not see that? Why did Bomb King get a buff when he has the highest winrate in the game, yet Ying randomly got a nerf? Barik had tinkering nerfed (it needed a nerf, but the nerf was too severe), bowling ball got a nerf (double time replaced it, but now it's nerfed), and they keep nerfing his sustain. Barik only has sustain going for him, and now they're nerfing that. People want Jenos and Furia to be nerfed, and they nerfed Ying. Get ready for supports to be weak healbots because dps mains are crybabies.

Most tanks are honestly in a balanced state in 3.2 it seems like,

Well, mediocre and balanced are more or less the same or not? I used Double Time as a heal. Whenever I lost HP I used my boots to heal up to full again. Behind the shield or behind the corner to avoid caut. Wait a few secs and ready to go again. Being healer undependent is so nice as a tank. 🙂

They didn't nerf only Double Time but all his heals, the turret heals are also halved. What remains is bowling ball. If I adapt my strat from hanging around near point to being on point this may work, since he is more tanky with this. I'll also switch to architectonics I think.

I'm forced to use both bowling ball and double time in the same loadout. Barik is starting to have less and less breathing room in his loadout, and that's super sad because he barely had any breathing room before the nerfs!

• I might have to make a thread about how Hi-Rez keeps nerfing tanks and supports, and how this might impact the game. I'm starting to play more dps now because I just have no impact as a tank or a support unless I'm Furia. It won't last long with Furia because everyone is coming for her head, and they even want to nerf Jenos (wtf?). It's just too much at this point.

• @HeartQueen I was playing ying as a main healer just the other day and i felt like i was making a big difference.

I think you may be mistaking getting kill for making impacting plays. Furia does entirely to much damage to be a support class. Its like you have an extra damage on your team. Jenos is just annoying as fuck with the resil nerf and his no skill grab.

Grover is really good as well, I think they need to make some changes to furias rather meter and jenos grab skill to balance them.

Tanks are in pretty good spots damage wise but some of them need a little more on the sustain side. The new barik changes keep him good without being silly.

They need to rework some of the other tanks cards to add more sustain and shield options for survival and i think they would be in a good spot.