How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide (Redo)

• PC

Barik Busted.jpg

The forums' resident Barik main here, with a guide (up to date for 3.2), for everyone's favorite dwarf, and the meme-iest "waifu." Since I'm bad at introductions, Let's just get on with it.

OVERVIEW

Barik in his current state is the best tank in the game since Torvald’s nerf in the recent 3.2 update, and considering Barik’s somewhat negligible healing card nerfs. I actually waited to publish this until 3.2 hits not only because he was absurdly strong in 3.1, but also because the nerfs do affect loadouts, a little.

Pros

Fantastic for securing objectives 

Great mobility for a tank 

Smallest hurtbox of all tanks (which can be exploited in a variety of ways I’ll get to later on) 

2nd best DPS out of all frontlines (to Ruckus, of course) 

Kit that if used properly can deal with just about anything 

On the easier side of good frontline champions (Ash, Inara, and Raum are still easier) 

Some of the best cards in the game 

Cons

Smallest tank health pool (although his sustain is really not bad AT ALL) 

Big head that’s relatively easy for a good hitscan to hit reliably 

One of the worst ultimates in the tank class (still better than Ruckus or Atlas) 

Somewhat long cooldowns that can be a pain if mismanaged 

Extremely punishing damage drop-off 

Cripples and stuns really hamper his effectiveness, as is the case for most tanks 

ABILITIES (Binds are default for KBM)

LMB- Blunderbuss

Blunderbuss.jpg

Barik fires his blunderbuss (essentially, a shotgun), once per second, dealing up to 500 damage divided between 13 pellets (about 38.46 damage per pellet). The weapon drops off past short range, can headshot, has a magazine capacity of 6 and takes 1.3 seconds to fully reload.

RMB- Barricade

Barricade.jpg

Barik deploys a shield in front of him, with 3750 maximum health at base. This shield is affected by Wrecker (not Bulldozer, used to be though), lasts up to 5 seconds at base and has a cooldown of 12 seconds at base on use.

Q- Sentry Gun

Turret.jpg

Barik deploys a turret after 2 seconds, with 1000 health at base. These turrets are affected by Bulldozer, last an indefinite amount of time, and up to two may be deployed at once. They also deal 120 damage once per second at base to their target. This ability has a cooldown of 10 seconds at base on use.

F- Rocket Boots

Rocket Boots.jpg

Barik charges forward for 1 second, greatly increasing movement speed (I don’t know by exactly how much, don’t ask). While using this ability, Barik is immune to knockback effects. This ability has a cooldown of 13 seconds at base on use.

ULT- Dome Shield

Dome Shield.jpg

Barik deploys a shield around himself and a flamethrower turret in front of him. The shield has 10,000 health and the turret has 2000 health, the turret also deals 600 damage per second over time.

USABLE TALENTS

Architectonics.png

Architectonics- Barik's turrets deal 20% (24 per hit) more damage, and have their cooldown reduced by 3 seconds. This talent is his best talent, not only because of the value of the CDR, but also because of Barik’s cards.

Fortify.png

Fortify- Barik's shield has 2000 more health and has its cooldown reduced by 3 seconds. This talent is viable, but the cards associated with it aren’t nearly as good as Archi’s, and Fortify builds are easier to counter.

USABLE CARDS

Accelerator Field- You and allies that pass through your Barricade gain 6% increased movement speed per rank for 5 seconds. This card was unfortunately nerfed for no reason. Although it is an OKAY option to fill for a Fortify build, there are much better options so you more than likely won’t use it.

Brave and Bold- Gain 150 extra maximum health per rank. This card is core and should be taken rank 3 at the least in any Barik build as Barik gets much more out of that health than other tanks with his hurtbox’s (+) smaller size, and also requires it to be able to tank burst effectively.

Bunker- Increase the health of your shield by 200 per rank. This card is generally a good idea for Fortify builds, as it will help with the potential Wrecker problem, probably should take it at least rank 3 to get value out of it.

Double Time- Heal for 50 per second for 3 seconds after using Rocket Boots. This is better than the shielding from Bowling Ball, as it Take this around rank 2 or 3, if you want. Just remember that it isn’t so good as to be a crutch anymore.

Failsafe- Resets the cooldown of your Rocket Boots whenever you go below 10% per rank of your maximum health, on an internal cooldown of 30 seconds. This card, always at rank 3 (no more and no less), is just as core as Brave and Bold and will save your life more times than you could count.

Field Deploy- Your turrets heal you for 20 per rank health every time they hit an enemy. This card is a good alternative to Double Time for high CC comps that will shut down your ability to utilize Rocket Boots. Take this the same rank you would have taken Double Time.

Forged Alloy- Your turrets gain 150 maximum health per rank. This card is absolutely vital to any Architectonics build. It’s not quite as necessary to keep them up as it once was, but it’s still a core card for Architectonics at the least. Take this rank 3 or 4 in your Architectonics build, can be a fill option for Fortify as well.

One Man’s Treasure- Upon getting an elimination (kill or assist) reduce your active cooldowns by 10% per rank. This card makes a great crutch at rank 2 or 3 to ensure your cooldowns are up. Past rank 3 is overkill and forces you to snowball to make use of it.

Palisade- Your shield has its cooldown reduced by .4 seconds per rank. A definite no for Architectonics, but it’s pretty much necessary for Fortify even if the numbers are a complete joke.

Here is the card looadout I personally use:

Loadout I use, reference.jpg

USABLE ITEMS

Here’s a picture showing what I’ll be covering here.

Items 3.2 upd..jpg

Legend

Star- Always use, both of them.

Circle- Fairly situational, but good choices most matches. Should usually have 1 of them.

Square- Situational items that depend on circumstance

X- Never use

NOTE- I'll refer to the rows of items by color for ease of reading.

Master Riding

Master Riding not only is a great item for Barik, but in my Diamond ranked games, I see it built a LOT. In fact, I’ve seen entire teams running at least rank 2 of this. The idea with this item is to try to beat the enemy to the punch, whether you’re rushing mid or taking a flank. It also helps Barik in particular as he requires some setup to get everything out of him, wherever you may be. Taking this yellow first can be an effective strategy to cheese your opponent.

Cauterize

Of course, Cauterize is a mandatory and probably always will be until it’s nerfed to the point of being undertuned. Healing reduction is not only a very strong mechanic in Paladins in general and the amount of it on a comp can even determine the outcome of a match, it also works well on Barik as each pellet fired from his Blunderbuss applies it. In other words, you can potentially Caut more than one enemy at once. Taking this first is generally the meta strategy, though I personally prefer Master Riding. Take this first if you need more Caut.

Rejuvenate

Rejuvenate isn’t really that great anymore, but it’s still a good idea to take on point tanks, so that way the support can keep you alive for longer periods of time. On Barik, it’s not an essential like it may be on Inara, but it’s still a solid choice of item for when you want to get more out of your support’s healing.

Nimble

Nimble is now a good item for Barik when you don't need to deal with CC (AKA in matches you don't need Resilience), and is especially valuable against longer range DPSes, especially snipers. You can also get it with Cauterize OR Master Riding first buy out of base (though I usually recommend buying Master Riding first, especially in the current meta).

Blues (Except Illuminate)

All three of these items serve their purpose, and are all great options to fill out the build depending on what they are running. There’s a Crush Term or a Bomb King bothering you? Resilience may help for their CC. A Drogoz or a Tyra? Blast Shields may be a good idea for his Salvo and her Fire Bombs. A Vivian or a Strix? Haven may help with their weapon damage (both deal direct, though Viv’s ult drones are blast). I would have made a joke about being f***ed against Zhin last patch regardless, but he got nerfed and it’s fine now. I would say that in the current meta, Resilience is usually more important than Blast Shields or Haven in most situations.

Wrecker and Bulldozer

Both Wrecker and Bulldozer have their purpose if you wouldn’t prefer having a blue and there’s shields or deployables (respectively) that are a problem. Like if your team has to deal with a Ruckus and has little Wrecker for some reason (Overshields are easy to go through with Wrecker and also charge ults, if you don’t know) or your team has to deal with an Io and has little Bulldozer for some reason (for the doggo of course). Generally, though, these shouldn’t be bought most of the time.

Kill to Heal

Kill to Heal is now a viable option on Barik, and if off-tank Barik was a thing, it may be better than taking Rejuvenate. Kill to Heal’s boost now is much less susceptible to getting Cauterized to a pulp. This healing can snowball into a lot of sustain for you as Barik is a very assist heavy champion that can easily get assist counts in matches in the 20s or 30s. But, it still takes up an item slot that could be used for a blue or a second red instead...

ABILITY USAGE

Blunderbuss

• Aim for Center of Mass (+) (it’s the way you can get the most pellets in)

• Jumping and shooting is a good idea against taller characters, and also allows you to jump strafe (+).

• This weapon is really good compared to most at pressuring flanks that are in the air, particularly Maeve, as more than likely if you aim at them at least one pellet’s going to hit.

• Try to get as close to your enemy as it’s safe to as this weapon has not only damage fall-off, but it also has 13 separate projectiles that comprise the whole 500 damage.

Barricade

• Weaving (+) around the shield is a very important part of getting use out of it.

• You can also place it facing forward but then go to a different angle to utilize the shield’s shape to your advantage. More on that in the advanced section.

Sentry Gun

• Starting with the most obvious use, turrets are designed to be used to zone off objectives and chokepoints.

• I will go over this in further detail in the Advanced Tricks section, but turrets can be used to block entryways.

• Using your sentry gun to protect your support when they’re sitting on objectives is a good idea.

• When you find a place to put your turret, the best places

• Don’t just hold Q when you’re finding a place to put your turret. It’s better just move there and then press Q. But you can hold Q for a bit to place it in just the right spot.

• Most important thing with this ability is to try to use it in the way that has the most efficacy in the current situation, or to turret block when you need to.

Rocket Boots

• Cancel this ability (press F again) when you either need to use an ability or you position yourself where you feel you need to be.

• This ability can be used simply to engage or disengage (going in or out of a fight).

• However, it can also be used to stall+. Pressing F and then moving your mouse in a circular fashion will allow you to go around in circles, causing enemies to have a harder time landing a hit on you.

• Failsafe allows you to potentially dash twice consecutively if the ability is up when it procs (+).

Dome Shield

• You can jump before you ult, channeling it while you land. This makes it harder for enemies to hit you during the channel of it. The ult should be done when you land if you time it right (more in advanced).

• Main use for this should be to secure objectives or chokes.

• Baiting with this can be effective in certain situations.

• Be wary of an enemy Raum. If Raum’s ult is up, WAIT until he uses it. If you don’t Raum WILL ult your ult and completely destroy it.

• Keep in mind that this does NOT block out Viktor ult. It WILL deal damage to anyone inside as well as the turret.

ADVANCED TRICKS

When you jump strafe, you can control where you land if you input the direction you want to go while in the air. This will make you able to keep track of where you are kiting+ to. This is why it’s called jump strafing, duh.

Referring to the second bullet of the Barricade usage, you can place it forward, and then turn all the way around to utilize the curvature, or you can instead only turn halfway to utilize it to block from the other side.*

Turret Blocking, as it is called, can allow you to block off certain points. It is most effective in narrow passageways, like doorways, that are only a few units across.

The best way to time the ult press is within a few frames after jumping. This makes it so you spend the least time on the ground. You also can’t perform that much later anyways.

Probably More when I can think of them.~

INDEX

Center of Mass- Where their weight is distributed to the center of their model. For most every character, it's around the torso area.

Hurtbox- Specifically in reference to what constitutes as hits on certain characters. Essentially, like a hitbox except for the target itself instead of a projectile, or the etc.

Jump Strafe- Jumping and strafing at the same time. In other more complicated words, using vertical and horizontal axes to dodge incoming damage/CC.

Proc- Fancy word for activate.

Weaving- Moving in and out of something, usually to help lower the amount of damage you might take from different angles (a shield in the context it is used here).

CHANGELOG:

12 Mar 2020: Nimble section Added
    26 Mar 2020: Updated with more images

COMING SOON:
    MATCHUPS GUIDE- Matchups from easiest to hardest, and at least 1 tip for each.

• PC

@Dusklicious Why do you think chronos is useless for barik? I mean it’s my must buy item when I play barik 👀 (I was wrong all the time, right?

• PC

@DambaKing said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide (Redo):

@Dusklicious Why do you think chronos is useless for barik? I mean it’s my must buy item when I play barik 👀 (I was wrong all the time, right?

Chronos still isn't quite worth the investment in my opinion. Back when it was 400 credits per rank I think it was pretty much a no-brainer that Chronos was not at all worth it, to me. But now I think it's primarily just that it's better to have the MR/Caut/2 Blues. It's not an awful item anymore, it's just not that great and doesn't serve a purpose that cards and careful use of cooldowns can't. Also, OMT does the same thing anyways pretty much. 👀

• Good guild. Very readable due to the formation and pictures.

I also pick Chronos with Barik. Chronos II is 20% more shields, turrets and rocket-boots. Barik depends more on his skills than other tanks so Chronos is more viable for him. I don't pick Nimble as Barik but I think it's a possible pick since speed is valuable for all pedestrian champs.

Circle- Depending on Enemy Team (or in the case of Rejuvenate, yours)
    Square- Situational, Depending on Enemy Team

Circle and Square both "depend on enemy team" so it's more or less the same.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide (Redo):

Good guild. Very readable due to the formation and pictures.

I also pick Chronos with Barik. Chronos II is 20% more shields, turrets and rocket-boots. Barik depends more on his skills than other tanks so Chronos is more viable for him. I don't pick Nimble as Barik but I think it's a possible pick since speed is valuable for all pedestrian champs.

Circle- Depending on Enemy Team (or in the case of Rejuvenate, yours)
    Square- Situational, Depending on Enemy Team

Circle and Square both "depend on enemy team" so it's more or less the same.

Nimble is honestly not good on him either since he already has enough mobility in his kit. Or at the least, it's not really all that necessary for him. It complements tanks who have more issues with mobility and or range like Terminus, Fernando, or Ash better. As for Chronos, I don't really use it on any tanks in all honesty, except maybe shield Makoa or Ruckus, because they both need at least one ability up to be much of any use. Barik can function fine without all of his cooldowns up all the time, plus he already has a way of reducing them by more than enough, at least from my experience. 👀 👀

Circle items are less situational/dependent on comps than square items are. The phrasing isn't all that great.

• @Dusklicious I love nimble on Barik

He is the same speed as Makoa

350 nimble 3 adds about 73 to that.

422 for reference talus moves at 390

You ever tired to hit a nimble 3 barik as a sniper, its so freaking hard to do.

I can also watch a Drogoz fire a salvo at me and just walk out of its impact zone no problem.
    Willow Seeds no problem
    Dredge bomb no problem
    Khan ult

I find that for the credits its better than most thing other than Master Riding.
    I tend to get Caut Master Nimble and Resil or Haven....

But to be fair i am not a barik main even though i have played him a bunch.

• PC

@Dusklicious Since the credits/items changes I'm a Nimble freak. It's rare I don't get at least L1 for any champion - including Barik. Being harder to hit all the time is great value.

• PC

With all of this discussion about it, it seems like I might start testing out Nimble as a situational item choice. I don't see it being necessary like Master Riding or Cauterize, but it could possibly be a decent option considering the cost and the fact you can buy it with Caut/MR first buy. It's quite possible my opinion on it may be outdated.

After all, I may main the character, but that doesn't mean I don't get tunnel-visioned into my own ideas for the character.

• @Dusklicious If your not used to it, it may mess with your aim till you get used to it. Once you get level 3 he feels super fast like he can run away or chase anything down. .... One thing that was not mentioned is speed makes you change directions faster so your shield dancing becomes much easier and more effective.

• PC

Probably going to make a Nimble section for sure. Pretty solid early option on top of MR/Caut.

BUT, it's definitely not something for every matchup. It doesn't prove that effective against comps with a lot of CC, better against troublesome longer range DPSes. Also helps out a bit in the Evie matchup, but not a whole lot (Resi should be focused on more in that matchup).

EDIT: It's there.

• PC

Revised the guide as I should have 2 weeks ago to include more images. Also, d@mmit give me back my colors and headings.

• your loadout has barely any sustain in it, you're really depending on your healer a lot, the exact opposite of what Barik would be doing, you're turrets have high HP but low value coming out of them.
    Chronos isn't bad on Barik, being affected by Cauterize is bad on Barik, your shield and your dash are still valuable.

if you're doing that good on Barik in dia+, I can't imagine what you'd be doing if you're using my loadouts instead.

Also just incase someone asks, Barik is one of the champions that needs multiple loadouts, there is no (1 size fits all) here.

• PC

@maczerofun said in How to Dwarven Engineer, a Barik Guide (Redo):

your loadout has barely any sustain in it, you're really depending on your healer a lot, the exact opposite of what Barik would be doing, you're turrets have high HP but low value coming out of them.
    Chronos isn't bad on Barik, being affected by Cauterize is bad on Barik, your shield and your dash are still valuable.

if you're doing that good on Barik in dia+, I can't imagine what you'd be doing if you're using my loadouts instead.

Also just incase someone asks, Barik is one of the champions that needs multiple loadouts, there is no (1 size fits all) here.

Uhm, it has 4 cards for sustain (which account for 13 out of 15 of the points invested in the f***ing build), so what are you even talking about "barely any sustain"? Brave and Bold giving me 600 health, turrets getting 600 health, Getting free Rocket Boots when I get below 1200 health, and I even get 40 healing each time my turrets hit... And also low value out of turrets... Wow I think I just cringed. Also, I barely even rely on my healer at all in most games to sustain because I heal myself when my turrets hit, actually try to dodge attacks (real shocker), and I. Most games I usually have the lowest death count on my entire team, in fact. Only massive problem is with hard CC, and even then that's always been generally a hard thing for Barik to deal with along with blast. But even then, I have a way around that as well which is part of why I say Chronos is bad to build. Speaking of which...

Chronos is pretty f***ing bad on Barik compared to other options. OMT is as good at doing the same thing and it's a lot less of an issue to run. Even if you don't run OMT, OMS for a shield build usually works better than Chronos does in my experience. Better to be able to use the item slot for Master Riding. It's also cheaper so you can pair it with Nimble or Resilience early.

Your ego really shows here. I'm doing well in Diamond with this build. Heck, I've carried a good few games with this. It works pretty f***ing well for me, so I really don't see how a Barik player with a lower winrate, WAY lower KDA, 900 less matches overall (look it up yourself) and not even a guide to speak of has any validity in this discussion. The only guide I see to your name is your Io guide... Pretty much all I see is that you have very little room to be bashing me over something that works. I could also say you're only Plat 3.

Barik at this point can run a few other options, yes, but most of those options aren't really that great. OMS doesn't work with the meta talent at all, Double Time is barely worth running anymore, and actually I even discuss them above in this guide, which you didn't read before bashing it of course.

• @Dusklicious your only sustain on turrets is the 40 per hit, too bad cauterize exists, too bad you were getting carried through those games.

Why do you have failsafe without any cards related to it anyway?

And what's up with your attitude? You have 6 loadout slots not just 1
    That's how you prepare for CC

OMT = if you win a bit, win more
    OMS = if you sustain yourself well, get your cooldowns reduced

You remind me of all the Grover players who think adrenaline 5 is OP

If you're already winning then you don't need to have cooldowns up all the time, and the trade window doesn't justify it since guess what!, if you were losing, no CDR for you

Also take your rank shaming and boomer style boasting somewhere else, you claim this is a guide.

• I do have a guide on paladins guru but for io

(fortify cards are bad)
    Guess what, you can just run the talent without cards related to the shield

I'm not attacking you, I'm just saying your info is bad, and doesn't take into account what you will be doing in the upcoming meta against a lot of damage or 2 flankers 3 supports or any of the possible combinations that work.

• @maczerofun If you have a barik guide you have created i can add it to the list of barik guides.

RETURN TO KNOWLEDGE SHARE