OrangeGirl's list of balance and gameplay suggestions

• A late thank you the Paladins devs for removing 3rd person toggle and champion level buying. I have been asking for those to be removed for a while before they finally were.

I am posting the rest of my as of yet fulfilled suggestions for Paladins here. This is a long list and I do not expect half of them to be fulfilled but I believe at least half of them are reasonable. As a disclaimer I have a bias for mobility and a bias against snipers and parties.

As of the time of this post, I have Paladins uninstalled since January 23, 2020 for 3 main reasons: frame rate drops, strix's sniper firing rate, high mmr full parties carrying out exterminations in casual queue.

Without further ado, here are my suggestions:

Suggestions for matchmaking and gameplay

• Remove bots. Add backfill. Punish early leavers with deserter penalty.
    • Make queue times longer and matchmaking harder for high MMR parties. Ban high MMR parties from queuing if no formidable opponents can be found in the queue.
    • Reduce time it takes to jump into a casual game. For casual mode only: Remove match ready join button phase. Remove draft phase. Autokick afks and insert backfill players from queue. Allow champion switching any time during match.
    • Have one unified MMR for all casual modes (Casual siege, onslaught, TDM).
    • Make MMR adjust more aggressively for new players.
    • Make attacks fire from the center of the player model and not from the right-hand side. Enable weapons to be swapped between right hand and left hand any time with a key bind. This will eliminate the right-hand side peeking advantage.
    • A 1v1 mode would be interesting.
    • Remove quests/challenges that are not conducive for healthy team play (stop encouraging throw picks, impossible feats, or play styles for a champion that are antithetical to that champion's role).

Suggestions for champion and item balance

• Reduce firing rate of Strix's talon rifle.
    • Reduce hitbox size
    • Increase base movement speeds
    • Buff nimble to scale by 15% or higher.
    • Increase duration of movement speed bonus cards ("Gain x% movement speed for 1.5s" does not last long enough).
    • Reduce footstep sounds
    • Reintroduce mobility talents.
    • Reduce projectile speed and size and increase projectile damage.
    • Make Cassie's dodge roll 6s cooldown and make Incitement scale by 1s like it used to be.
    • Increase scale of all movement ability distance cards.
    • Increase cooldown reduction of all movement ability cooldown reduction cards.

Suggestions for Onslaught

• Make spawn rooms bigger and add more spawn doors to all maps. Primal Court and Marauder's Port need these the most.
    • Make capture area in Foreman's rise smaller so that it won't be possible to capture from the top room.
    • Make capture area in Magistrate's Archives smaller so that it won't be possible to capture from behind the telescope out of view from the enemy side.
    • Do not combine new games modes with the Onslaught queue.

And as always, bugs and performance issues can always be improved.

• @OrangeGirl "Make attacks fire from the centre of the player model and not from the right-hand side.". Why though? It's standard FPS fashion to have a right handed weapon slanted left, check the classic DOOM or something early 90s if you want to see how ridiculous it'll look if the weapon was placed in the middle of your screen.

1v1 sort of exists in custom lobbies.

Agree to anything mobility related if it makes things fast paced instead of a walking simulator, really don't understand the reasoning behind the nimble nerfs smh

• @OriginalEquinox said in OrangeGirl's list of balance and gameplay suggestions:

@OrangeGirl "Make attacks fire from the centre of the player model and not from the right-hand side.". Why though? It's standard FPS fashion to have a right handed weapon slanted left, check the classic DOOM or something early 90s if you want to see how ridiculous it'll look if the weapon was placed in the middle of your screen.

1v1 sort of exists in custom lobbies.

Agree to anything mobility related if it makes things fast paced instead of a walking simulator, really don't understand the reasoning behind the nimble nerfs smh

Right hand side peeking advantage creates a map advantage for any team who spawns on a certain side of any map, even if that map is symetrical. This problem is prevalent in every fps game.

If it would look too inconsistent to keep right hand appearance but projectiles and rays spawning from the center of view, then a weapon hand swapping mechanic should be introduced.

• @OrangeGirl that'd be a better way to handle things, by giving players the choice to switch weapon alignment, specially for left handed people who probably feel weird using right handed weapons

• Given the dynamics of the game and the design of some characters, changing the hitboxes will simply destroy the game... It will be impossible to get into Evie, but I will remind you that this character is almost always found and not all characters are able to fight back. So same half of characters with hypermobility elementary not will be able enter and will become no one unnecessary trash. This is not profitable for both the company and 70% of the players.

• I find it pretty unfortunate that there aren't more game modes, because there are so many possibilities, I recently saw a video from Ssundee playing the old siege, and man did it look awesome, the old siege looked awesome, the map was frickin huge, just everything looked awesome, I never got to play payloads, but again, did the maps look awesome, I would love to play it. But there are so many other possibilities, go look at paladins strike, the game modes there are amazing, if those would be cycled in paladins, then I wouldn't be able to stop playing Paladins xd.

But about punishing deserters, I find it annoying as well, and althought I never crash or anything similar, I see a lot of friends crashing almost every 5 games, they don't deserve the deserter penalty, because they couldn't join a match, or because they were disconnected from Paladins for no reason.

• @Wolfikys said in OrangeGirl's list of balance and gameplay suggestions:

Given the dynamics of the game and the design of some characters, changing the hitboxes will simply destroy the game... It will be impossible to get into Evie, but I will remind you that this character is almost always found and not all characters are able to fight back. So same half of characters with hypermobility elementary not will be able enter and will become no one unnecessary trash. This is not profitable for both the company and 70% of the players.

What is not profitable for the game is keeping burst meta alive for 3 years now while the player base continues to decline. Burst meta exists because of high damage, low mobility, big hitboxes, and slow strafe speed. The game will die if nothing changes.

• @OrangeGirl said in OrangeGirl's list of balance and gameplay suggestions:

@Wolfikys said in OrangeGirl's list of balance and gameplay suggestions:

Given the dynamics of the game and the design of some characters, changing the hitboxes will simply destroy the game... It will be impossible to get into Evie, but I will remind you that this character is almost always found and not all characters are able to fight back. So same half of characters with hypermobility elementary not will be able enter and will become no one unnecessary trash. This is not profitable for both the company and 70% of the players.

What is not profitable for the game is keeping burst meta alive for 3 years now while the player base continues to decline. Burst meta exists because of high damage, low mobility, big hitboxes, and slow strafe speed. The game will die if nothing changes.

The way to counter burst is not mobility. Burst is a counter to mobility, which is why I think burst is a good thing. I don't think anything is bad inherently, I think it's a bad thing when there isn't a counter. Right now there isn't much of a counter to burst. We need multiple things in the game. Burst, cc, mobility, and sustain. Sustain and burst counter each other. I also want off tanks to be strong because they counter oppressive backline damage along with flanks. But buff supports to counter the off tanks.

• PC

@OrangeGirl

most things you are pointing out can't be changed, casual "draft" has to be a thing for paladins to stay paladins

characters with right or left handed weapons should remain as well, yes it gives an advantage, and maps are symmetrical, one can choose to go left or right side however he wants, sure it may give a slight advantage on some maps, but usually you can always choose the side you want and play accordingly, note that a lots of advantageous sides have covers that can be used from both left and right not making so much of an advantage for a team

1v1 is custom, I do want to say that more options in custom would be a nice touch

matchmaking is a big issue but you won't fix it like that, I've said countless times what had to be changed in order for us to get a better matchmaking already so I'm not gonna repeat myself, it's been years and nothing was ever done to improve it

I'll however agree on the burst meta part, it's a huge issue imo, and just the fact that they are buffing imani even more makes me sick, they keep nerfing okay ish champs like koga but burst champs are getting buffed again???

• @TangAce said in OrangeGirl's list of balance and gameplay suggestions:

@OrangeGirl

most things you are pointing out can't be changed, casual "draft" has to be a thing for paladins to stay paladins

"can't be changed".."for paladins to stay paladins" is not a valid rebuttal. Paladins has a history of making big changes so anything can and should change for the better.

matchmaking is a big issue but you won't fix it like that, I've said countless times what had to be changed in order for us to get a better matchmaking already so I'm not gonna repeat myself, it's been years and nothing was ever done to improve it

Dismissed my suggestion and say yours is better but you won't tell me. Nobody has time to dig through years worth of your posts to find your matchmaking suggestions. I tried to search through the last 6 months of your post history and found nothing but you blaming bad players for bad matchmaking and lot's of mentions of rng, but the fact is you have a 1.1 K/D and a 51% winrate so of course it will feel like rng for you.

However, I will be willing to doubt that matchmaking is the biggest fault for your particular case. I also saw in your post history that you are playing on 40 fps. You should be thankful that you can sustain your current k/d and winrate with a framerate that is even below console standards. Get better equipment and you will find that matchmaking will magically get better.

• @OrangeGirl i cant even imagin playing 40 fps...

144 is a game changer... If you can get 144 monitor with a 1ms responce time you will see massive gains in your ability.

• @Shadowpuppy That is my framerate and I am still jealous of the streamers playing at 166 to 200 hz.

• PC

@OrangeGirl @Shadowpuppy

I4ve played paladins for more than 3000 hours and reached master multiple times, I've also done some test with matchmaking and I kinda understand how it works and it's pretty shitty and could be improved easily, I've seen countless players stop playing because of matchmaking

also if you look at my recent winrate and K/D you'll see that I'm far better than when I first started, overall winrate and K/D is pretty irrelevant considering how much I played and that it was my first pc shooter

I manage to stand to top players with 40fps, I wanted to be pro, but can I be a pro with 40fps lmao, of course not, I know with better gear I could do it, but not everyone has money

however I can say matchmaking is really bad and win or lose is somewhat down to rng, when I see that I play better than the entire enemy team but my team is way way worse, there's so much you can do 1v5, if you don't believe me then go look at my match history xDDD you'll clearly see how bad matchmaking is
    there's around 1/10 games that I play among experienced players who played many hours, the 9 other games be either me destroying enemy team because they just started playing not long ago, or me getting destroyed because my team started not long ago and got no idea what they are doing, then you add the bot / afk / feeders factor and you got super rng
    at least half the game I play have at least one afk/bot
    clearly I've played game where I reached stupid streak count, like that one game where I was in 64 streak, how is it normal to reach 64 kills without dying? and enemy didn't have any bots, just new players, how fun is that for them and me? it's not fun it's just pointless

then about the changes, what you are suggesting is what overwatch has been doing, and you can't do it without overwatch champs selection mechanics, if you remove draft in paladins then it's not paladins anymore but an overwatch ripoff...

• @TangAce i agree, one match im playing bitey and the very next match im destoying a team alone... It also happens in reverse where my whole team is dead in the first 3 seconds of the point fight..

Wtf im not even off my horse and everyone is dead!