An Update Regarding Paladins Server Issues

• Over the last few weeks our team has been seeing reports regarding server instability increase in number across both Europe & North America - namely focused on cases where lag was causing ability delays, spikes in player ping, and issues with hit registration.

Today we wanted to take a minute to help provide some background on the situation, cover some of the steps we’ve taken to resolve these server issues, and speak towards our plans to continue working on a steady solution.

As some of you may already know, we shipped Sands of Myth with a major set of updates to our server technology back in March. This was done to help us prepare for the coming launch of Paladins on the Epic Games Store, as well as provide a stronger long-term backbone for our servers as the game continues forward. Naturally, we expected a few issues to arise while we stabilized the new tech, but those have proven difficult to track down given the massive surge of internet usage due to COVID-19 forcing many to stay at home in quarantine.

Since early March our community team has been working with members of the Assembly of Champions, players from the Paladins Pro Circuit, and other players to collect bad Match IDs. With these in-hand, Evil Mojo’s Xienen and our operations team have been working to track down, isolate, and resolve key issues clogging up our server infrastructure.

At this time, we’ve managed to find and resolve three major issues to help ease lag you’re experiencing in-game across Europe & North America:

• For Europe, we found an issue with internet congestion in London which was causing intermittent ping issues that were resolved by moving those servers to another country entirely. We also found an issue in the network right outside one of our data centers in Amsterdam causing packet loss issues, which we have solved by moving those servers to a different country as well.

• In North America, we found an issue with a particular data center which we then took offline and moved those servers to another data center - solving the issue.

After patching these issues up, some of our players have reported a much more stable experience free of lag causing delays, ping spikes, and more - meaning we’re on the right track!

As we continue moving through April, our team is going to keep investigating any reports of server lag through provided Match IDs and working to solve any issues we’re able to track down. So if you have any bad Match IDs to help us out, please send them to a member of our community team such as myself, HiRezRomanova, or HiRezLunium so we can pass them onto Xienen and our operations team to investigate. Just be sure to include the Match ID, your region, and a brief description of the issues you experienced.

We’ll continue to keep you posted on our progress via social media as updates arise. Thank you so much for sticking with us as we work through these issues to ensure everyone in the Realm has a great experience!

Stay safe!

• Yeah. It didn't work, but thanks for trying. Anything else you can try?

• It worked for me.

• For me 95% of the matches are unplayable (playing for years and never had this issue untill the passed week)
    Im sure most people would be happier if there comes a temporary player cap (untill its fixed if overcrowded servers are the problem) and even if the update gets reversed untill its fixed.
    Never complained about the minor bugs and glitches that have always existed but this is really ruining the game right now.

• I still have some server lag it seems. The ping is constantly low but sometimes - whoops - I teleported forward or someone seems to push my champ from behind. But it's only now and then.

• Lately, I've generally had pretty good experiences playing the game. However, maybe every 3rd or 4th game the session seems to suffer from packet loss. Firing the ultimate for example, took no effect a couple of times during a game. Also I hit an opponent 3 times at point blank range with maeve's daggers but the damage from the first 2 hits never registered. Each hit should have killed my opponent, which had one bar of health. The third hit, which killed him, didn't register for what felt like an eternity but was probably a quarter second. Which in a game like Paladins, that quarter second is the difference between life and death. Because of that lag or packet loss or whatever you want to call it, my performance in that game was pretty horrible. As with all battle arena type games, the closer you are to the network servers the better your performance will be. It does feel a bit up and down though at times. One game I'm playing great and the next game using the same champ and similar build, it feels like my champion is hitting for half of the damage it did in the last game. Packet loss and latency issues have a huge effect on one's performance. Still though, I can brush these issues aside and still enjoy the game.

• Have a small group of friends(8-12) playing Paladins from Norway. Everyone experiencing every other match totally unplayable. Maybe you could call Blizzard or infinity ward and ask what they are doing. No lag or frame drops there.

• Servers got unplayable after the Sun and Moon update.
    The update new netcode was introduced. Probably just a coincidence.
    https://forums.hirezstudios.com/paladins/topic/28/dev-blog-the-hunt-server-corrections

• Paladins totaly unplayable for me, i'm from Switzerland with good connexion and good hardware....

@Dringoth @Sodomantis

So if you have any bad Match IDs to help us out, please send them to a member of our community team such as myself, HiRezRomanova, or HiRezLunium so we can pass them onto Xienen and our operations team to investigate. Just be sure to include the Match ID, your region, and a brief description of the issues you experienced.

• It is not complicated, ALL lag matches, I will not spend 1 hour of explanations for each 10min match ??

In addition I read that Paladins wants to join Epic ?? For me it will be uninstalling the game, that's for sure!

• @Lukash369 said in An Update Regarding Paladins Server Issues:

So if you have any bad Match IDs to help us out, please send them to a member of our community team such as myself.

Ok so do i just leave a list here? Do you want some videos too? Has the problem been identified? When is a patch being rolled out?
    Can I have some levels on my battle pass? Because playing is nothing but a chore.

It will be better if you send this ID in dm to one of the above mentioned people.

• @Lukash369 said in An Update Regarding Paladins Server Issues:

It will be better if you send this ID in dm to one of the above mentioned people.

Ok I will do that. Thank you for replying.
    Now for my two other questions. Is there some time frame on a patch to fix it, and will there be some sort of compensation regarding the battle pass?
    Leveling up the battle pass when 60% of your shot fail to connect is quite frustrating.

• PC

Here is the server status as of yesterday. In all fairness it was OK for me for the last week.

New Server Tech

• Why are we not getting any communication from Hires on this issue? Please don't try and gaslight us in to believing this is a small issue. Every person on my friend list has had this problem since the sun and moon patch and they are spread all over Europe. I myself have tried with multiple different machines in different households and the problems persists.

Why this is not top priority at hires right now is mind boggling.

• Picking a champion seems to be lagging again and the end of game screen is taking awhile to load

• Europe & North America are not one with the problems jst give ur attention towards SEA SERVERS TOO ITS NON PLAYABLE,

• Hi everyone!

I've got a handful of reports including bad match IDS reported to me through messages here on the forums, so thanks for sending those over! Please continue to do so with the bad match ID, region you're playing in, and a brief description of what's going on due to server lag in your match.

Based on reports, it looks like bad matches in NA are dying down as we move forward - which we'll continue to monitor headed into our next Update.

EU is still having bad matches randomly across multiple data centers, which is something we're going to keep looking into these coming weeks. Just keep IDs coming to help us isolate any potential fixes there.

BR & SEA are starting to see reports spike up, which we'll be diving into in the coming weeks as well.

• All matches I play on EU are bad, some are worse than others. Somehow, I doubt that sending you "bad IDs" does anything at all. I've been playing on NA as of late, since having bad ping is 100 times better than having lag in every match on EU. NA servers don't seem to have any lag aside from usual Paladins jank.