Tank Main's 3.3 Tank Tier List

• PC

Note that I am a Plat/Diamond player on PC, so this may not necessarily align with what you may experience at your skill level or on console. Also this is based on my opinion and my own personal experiences both playing as and playing against these champions. I know I also already have a regular tier list thread but people don't respect it all that much, which is understandable I guess considering probably half the games I play, I'm playing front line. So here's a list I'm more qualified to make:

Tank Tier List 3.3.jpg

Notes:

• Terminus
      Terminus when played by a competent player using the right build is beyond just a force to be reckoned with, but an absurdly strong tank with massive sustainability and a consistent up to 1750 burst. He can even be played aggressively and apply a huge amount of pressure zoning close to the objective. Terminus’ only real downside is that he lacks range, but even then Decimation sort of negates this issue with the aforementioned consistent burst when ran with Necromantic Might V and three or four ranks into Abomination. Leaving just the bugs keeping him from being as overpowered as Bomb King or Io.

• Ash-
      Ash is a very accessible, very strong off-tank bully propelled even further by the existence of one specific card, Brawl. Brawl gives Ash a potentially massive heal for each player, deployable, or shield Ash hits with Kinetic Burst, at rank 5 healing her for 600… each. For perspective, If you hit 5 people with this you would heal for 3000 off of one ability that does decent damage and applies a knockback. As for the rest of her kit, she has the most versatile and overall best tank ult in the game, a lot of zoning potential, and a lot of CC, having it in three abilities. Not to mention Battering Ram’s DR and Indomitable’s life steal.

• Barik-
      Barik is a quite accessible and quite reliable point tank with good mobility, really great damage output for a tank, and a small hurtbox hat can be utilized to give him quite decent sustain, perhaps even good sustain with the right cards. Barik does have weaknesses that keep him from being broken though. Cripple Barik and he doesn’t have much to do about it aside from buying Resilience and running away if applicable. He’s also weaker against burst than other point options, with a more meager health pool and a larger head hitbox for hitscans. Nonetheless, even with those flaws, he’s still consistently strong most of the time.

• Khan-
      Khan, honestly, is a rather weak character being propelled by a broken 2 second stun from Vortex Grip. He has very little damage output, an ultimate that’s hard to consistently hit, and mediocre at best shield. However, with Vortex Grip’s grab and what the ult does for your team when you hit it in mind, he is pretty great right now because he counters both Ash and Raum, the two other good off-tanks in the current meta, by stunning them for 3 seconds before Resilience. He also can support a flanker with his Battle Shout healing, and with the tools he has he can easily pressure the other team into retreating with his presence.

• Inara-
      Inara with the support changes would honestly be as good if not better than Barik if Rejuvenate also got buffed. But that did not happen, leaving her in a spot where she depends on a high healing support to work as well as the other point options. Inara doesn’t have Terminus’ burst, doesn’t have Barik’s sustained damage output, and she has no mobility whatsoever. What she does have, however, is even more sustain than Terminus, with her ability to stack up DR with either viable build. She’s also the easiest point tank to play at a basic level, with the only thing you need to learn to be good with her being how to use her wall.

• Raum-
      Raum essentially plays like an ulting Makoa without the CC immunity, but instead with a freaking minigun and the fast-charging UNO reverse card ultimate. But the lack of any way of dealing with hard CC as he has no shield, or any CC immunity makes him not as good as he first appears. However, as long as Khan and BK are banned out (the latter is always banned anyways), he’s more than capable as an off-tank, with his sheer beef and damage output, combined with one of the best dashes in the entire game allowing him to easily pressure enemies into submission. But if he’s stunned or crippled, he’s screwed.

• Makoa-
      Makoa can either get in your face with a shield with near constant uptime or hook you into a potential 1600 burst depending what build he runs. He also has a strong ultimate that allows him to heal himself mid-fight or to just go in swinging before likely canceling it for the range back. But, past this, he has little actually going for him. His cooldowns are really, really long, he doesn’t do very consistent damage (doesn’t even have much burst without Pluck), and his base shield is downright awful. Though in the right hands he nonetheless has potential as an off-tank that confirms kills on priority targets for his team.

• Ruckus-
      Ruckus is a champion that barely counts as a tank, as he’ll get in your face and mow you down in the right hands. But the problem is these “right hands” are very rare and, because of certain kit design flaws, the wrong hands make him look practically unviable. He has the single worst shield in the entire game, his ult leaves him a sitting duck, and he in general just has so little sustain that he can barely survive all that long. However he’s still viable because he has really, really good mobility that can allow him to dive in to get in the enemy backlines’ face and shred them. Though even in the right hands, Raum is usually better.

• Fernando-
      Fernando mostly doesn’t really get played, but he’s a bit underrated in my mind with some off-tank and point tank potential, both. But the problems he has make him worse at both than Ash, making there be no reason to play him over her. Fernando just doesn’t have the range, the consistency, or the CC Ash has. His ult is also a bit team dependent so it puts him in this spot of being inferior in every possible way. It also doesn’t help his aggressive builds that he doesn’t really have enough consistent uptime for his Fireball. Nonetheless, he is more viable than people think he is and can be made to work, even competitively.

• Atlas-
      Atlas is a shadow of his former self, who has nothing at all going for him and is pretty much just terrible no matter what skill level. He does very, very little damage since they gutted his Chrono Cannon, he has absurdly long cooldowns on his abilities, and he just lacks pretty much everything he needs to be viable. The pieces are there, he does have a nice heal card in Lost Legacy, and a pretty nice CDR card for his barrier in Phantom Pain. He even has pretty powerful abilities if used correctly. The thing is, Atlas is very inconsistent, he has no mobility, and he requires a lot of investment to even see potential for.

• Torvald-
      Torvald shouldn’t even be classified as a frontline at all, he has literally none of the tools he needs to work as a tank. All he has to sustain himself is a flimsy easily destructible shield that buying Wrecker just counters… Even his shield bubble strat doesn’t work outside of lower skill games anymore since Thanks, Grandpa got gutted… He’s essentially just a tanky support who has pretty abysmal healing output and tries but currently fails to make up for it with shields. He needs a rework, and he needs it fast because I’m afraid there is no other way to balance this character in a coherent way without a rework to at least his Q.

• Cool. Another tierlist. I love tierlists. I think you overestimate "Brawl". I checked Rubbu's tank deck guide, the card doesn't even appear in his three Ash loadouts. I also don't play it. "Siege Engine" is better, a 5K shield worth more than a 1K heal. I agree though that Ash is a very strong tank. Even stronger than Khan in my opinion. Yes he got his stun grab but you say it yourself, he is a one-trick-pony. I don't see Khan as a counter for Ash, since with shoulder bash she can counter commander's grab. Against Inara it's also not so good. Khan is situational and Ash is good in every situation. Same goes for Inara. She has not just DR but also CC with her warder (and her wall). She is not situationally strong, she can hold her ground against everyone.

Fernando's only strength, that Ash doesn't have, is his speed. I play him with both speed cards at max and then he is moving fast while Ash is slow, shoulder bash is not really good for moving around. But nevertheless she is stronger than him, her kit is just better.

Good tierlist, I see a just few tanks a tier higher or lower.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in Tank Main's 3.3 Tank Tier List:

Cool. Another tierlist. I love tierlists. I think you overestimate "Brawl". I checked Rubbu's tank deck guide, the card doesn't even appear in his three Ash loadouts. I also don't play it. "Siege Engine" is better, a 5K shield worth more than a 1K heal. I agree though that Ash is a very strong tank. Even stronger than Khan in my opinion.

That's not just a 5k shield you immediately get from using the ability, but Siege Engine I agree is a very strong card as well. I personally don't really use it in non-shield builds because a hitscan can still fairly easily just shoot above the shield and still hit you. But in shield builds, yeah rank 4 Siege Engine is an absolute necessity. In dash builds I would say it's useful, but not necessarily better than Brawl because as I said it stacks and it's also affected by deployables and shields. Not to mention that it gives you this healing on use. Siege Engine doesn't fully reduce her shield's CD, it only reduces it by 1 second per rank, so it's not necessarily guaranteed. Nonetheless I could see how this strategy might work better against comps without a Barik/Io/Inara/Ying etc.

Yes he got his stun grab but you say it yourself, he is a one-trick-pony. I don't see Khan as a counter for Ash, since with shoulder bash she can counter commander's grab. Against Inara it's also not so good. Khan is situational and Ash is good in every situation.

Not necessarily. Khan can grab Ash out of her dash, I've seen it done before quite a lot and I've done it myself a few times. The thing is though that Khan is good against every single off-tank option if played properly, pretty much cancelling their ability to play aggressively, which is especially obvious against Raum.

Same goes for Inara. She has not just DR but also CC with her warder (and her wall). She is not situationally strong, she can hold her ground against everyone.

Inara's problem at the moment, the way I see it, is that she depends on her healer more than other point tank options. And even considering the support buffs, she's a little bit situational and depends if you have enough healing in your comp to work. Without that, she has no escape, less damage than Barik or Terminus, and I also didn't mention that she has more problems with blasters than the other two, though Mother's Grace Inara is a good way to counter Bomb King.

Fernando's only strength, that Ash doesn't have, is his speed. I play him with both speed cards at max and then he is moving fast while Ash is slow, shoulder bash is not really good for moving around. But nevertheless she is stronger than him, her kit is just better.

Pretty much. Though I would also say that Fern's shield is a bit better than Ash's is if she doesn't run Fortress Breaker and instead opts for Battering Ram or Slug Shot. A point I think should also be made with Ash is that all three of her talents are not just viable but fairly strong in fact, which is a pretty significant part of why she's frankly the best off-tank in the game.

• @Dusklicious said in Tank Main's 3.3 Tank Tier List:

That's not just a 5k shield you immediately get from using the ability, but Siege Engine I agree is a very strong card as well. I personally don't really use it in non-shield builds because a hitscan can still fairly easily just shoot above the shield and still hit you. But in shield builds, yeah rank 4 Siege Engine is an absolute necessity.

I play a shield build yes. I tried Battering Ram after I saw an Ash guide video and I see the benefits, but I finally returned to the shield. One has to hit two enemies to get the full shield CD reset, yes. But Siege Engine also stacks and procs on shields/deployables so this is doable with good timing to completely reset the shield.

Not necessarily. Khan can grab Ash out of her dash, I've seen it done before quite a lot and I've done it myself a few times.

This is a bug though. I double checked the wiki and shoulder bash Can't be affected by Knockbacks for the duration and Khan's grab is listed as Knockback. If Khan approaches and Ash rams him (or flees) he can't grab her. Even if he throws her, with Battering Ram and resilience it should be no problem to escape.

Inara's problem at the moment, the way I see it, is that she depends on her healer more than other point tank options.

Inara has Stone Bulwark. It's a 875 heal. Not nearly as much as Ash or Terminus can get but very reliable.

Pretty much. Though I would also say that Fern's shield is a bit better than Ash's is if she doesn't run Fortress Breaker and instead opts for Battering Ram or Slug Shot.

Nah. If Nando would have Ash's shield he'd be much stronger, even with the flimsy one. His shield has a few situation where it is useful while Ash's shield is always useful. The more I played Nando, before he got nerfed, the less I used his shield.