Tank Main's Speculative 3.4 Tier List.

• PC

Note that this includes some changes of opinion but also that this is based purely on Live experiences and PTS as 3.4 is not live yet. Also I apparently have to preface this with this being my opinion, agree or disagree if you want.

Tank Main's Speculative 3.4 Tier List.jpg

Some placements I'll note:

• Cassie is still extremely strong, and frankly a little underrated at this point. She can consistently counter flanks, while also dealing consistently high damage output regardless of the map she is on. In my mind Cassie is frankly Strix if he were viable on every map and just not excellent on any particular map. I don't ban her because she's so consistent, but that consistency is really exactly where her power is.
    • Terminus is definitely affected by the on-hit nerfs, but he'll still be a very strong character and the strongest frontline in the game. He is honestly underbanned in comp and in the hands of the right player can easily be a total nuisance to deal with using a proper build (and not throwing).
    • Tiberius is honestly still pretty undervalued IMHO. He can outburst flanks, all while still getting solid damage output, fairly high mobilty for a damage, and one of the most underrated ultimates in the entire game. Granted the ultimate can be dealt with using hard CC, next patch that will be less effective.
    • If you haven't played PTS Makoa yet, you may not realize just how GOOD his buffs and Leviathan rework all were. He went from mediocre to once again one of the best tanks in the game. He can not only get his hook cooldown back to where it used to be at base during Season 2 with max Strongarm, his ult is going to become a swiss army knife of an ult that gives him CC immunity, sustain, and now instant access to his burst option in one press of the E key. He may be BANNED next patch on some maps.
    • I have CRIMINALLY undervalued snipers in the past, and this tier list is in part a correction to that error. I think they aren't QUITE as powerful as your average meta slave lets on, but they're still VERY strong picks on most maps. Frankly I'd put them up with Cassie and Maeve if every map was one of their good maps. But Brightmarsh and Jaguar Falls exist so I can't place them much higher than where they are.
    • Talus has the potential to be as good as Andro next patch if I'm being honest. His changes are straight-up buffs no question about it. Slightly less sustain, yes, but pair him with a Corvus and you have an unstoppable menace who won't die. His main pitfall, however, is that he can't perform on Frog Isle quite like Maeve or Andro can. But there is also the fact his mobility is exploitable.
    • Bomb King honestly is a little tiny bit overrated. Granted he's an annoyance and almost as strong as Io on live nonetheless, I actually rarely see him banned or even picked as high as Diamond and Masters. But off of that, to his nerfs. They are going to impact him. Not really severely I don't think, he'll still be more than viable and the best blaster in the game, but he'll probably not be banned at all next patch. He just doesn't look quite that strong.
    • I've heard a lot of Io players complaining about her nerfs, which honestly is a GOOD thing. She is ABSURDLY overpowered on live as of the time of writing this post and 3.4 will change that. She probably won't even be banned anymore as you can counter her by just applying consistent Caut to Luna. But she will still be extremely good at sustaining pushes.
    • Viktor definitely needed the nerfs he's getting to Predator. The lifesteal on the card is absolutely ridiculous. After 3.4 goes live, he may still be a menace on console, but on PC I see him being just a decent pick. Not really exceptional by any means.
    • Buck deserved the nerfs he's getting. His DR is absolutely busted on live (was when 3.4 comes out in a few days)... But he won't have the capability to sustain just about anything anymore especially with a Corvus pocket. But this is also an indirect buff to snipers as well who can now reliably two shot him, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword.
    • Ying is a little overrated by some, but I think she'll be a pretty decent support choice next patch. She's no longer fodder for on-hit effects and no longer is completely destroyed by the likes of Ash and Terminus who almost benefit from her very existence in the game. However, I still don't see Ying being nearly meta just yet.
    • Turns out I was wrong about the Shimmer buff for Sha'Lin. I played him twice on PTS with the new Shimmer and the buff doesn't really feel all that impactful. It's enough to get him above the likes of Evie and Damba who've both been struggling to find their footing in the meta, but not enough to get him to the point of really being good.
    • This is probably one of the few notations that has nothing to do with the changelog. After playing a couple of games of Seris, she's better than I thought. She has incredible sustain even if she does lack in the healing department and her ult is still desperately in need of some QoL changes. With a good Soul Collector build, Seris is incredibly easy to not die with. Her healing changes in PTS I think can go either way if I'm being honest.
    • Atlas is MUCH better on PTS. He still has a ways to go especially in the sense that his cooldowns are still too long, but he's definitely viable after 3.4. He can two-shot squishies with a fully charged headshot and a fully charged bodyshot and his ult can now be used to negate CC. Still definitely needs work, but I see Atlas being viable especially on longer sightline maps.
    • Fernando's Aegis buff, frankly, doesn't even address what sucks about the talent. The problem with the talent isn't that its not on a short enough cooldown... The problem is that the talent is just a badly designed trainwreck of a shield talent. His ult buff is nice, but other than that, I'm still not really seeing it.
    • Moji was frankly bottom tier on PTS on her worse maps. She might still be viable on Brightmarsh and Jaguar, but aside from that she looks pretty unviable. Her burst is significantly worse, and her sustain is significantly worse. They did give her a little poke, but that's not really all that helpful compared to the nerfs.
    • RIP Khan. Granted his grab was an annoyance to play against especially for characters like Raum (who is indirectly well buffed by this, the BK nerf, and the Resilience buff), but now that talent is bad again. Like bad to the point where it's totally useless. The best way to play Khan will be Storm rushing Caut and Morale probably and it will only be viable on two or three maps and not even that good on any of those maps.
    • The Lex buffs mean jack $#!+. He's not Torvald level bad, yay. But to actually utilize these buffs in any way you have to constantly change your Retribution target... The ONLY time this buff feels impactful is in spawn... When the round actually starts, there's literally no difference... Lex is still awful. RMB does no damage, credit boosts mean nothing in the current meta, and all he has to compensate are his pistols that MAY be as good as Andro's BASE revolver... Still sucks.

• Why is Willo so low? Did you play her?

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in Tank Main's Speculative 3.4 Tier List.:

Why is Willo so low? Did you play her?

She's low because she's so easy for any hitscan to adequately deal with and she's pretty much countered by half decent positioning. Even Dredge is far better because at least he does good damage... She does by far the lowest output of any blaster in the game.

• For the most part I agree with the list. Only things I'd change:
    -Barik below Inara: He feels really easy to kill for a tank, especially for hitscan characters, he's so easy to headshot. And his damage output is terrible too, 100 dmg anywhere other than close range
    -Evie in Median Mid: in a coordinated environment she's still picked regularly, but when it comes to solo carrying I agree there are better choices, like Maeve or Andro..
    -Ruckus in Upper Mid: he's super good at diving the backline, especially if he has a flank playing with him, really strong. He's so damn underrated.
    -Grohk in low tier, his uses are very limited.
    -Io & Corvus into High Tier, cuz they're such strong pocket characters, and Io basically has everything and is in dire need of nerfs.

• @Dusklicious tbh, I think makoas gonna be decent but not lower high. But i feel like fernando, ruckus and atlas at least need to be median mid, nandos biggest counter got nerfed. Ruckus can pretty much take any 1v1 and is therefore a must pick in high elos. Atlas is gonna be kinda meta with his new 840 damage, hes a great and underrated tank. I still think vik will be really meta, burst mode still has the highest dps in the game and predator is still an okay card. Maeve and andro are a bit on the same level, and andro might even be better than maeve in high elos. But I agree with the most of this tierlist. Hope I changed ur view on some champs.

• PC

@schachmaty said in Tank Main's Speculative 3.4 Tier List.:

For the most part I agree with the list. Only things I'd change:
    -Barik below Inara: He feels really easy to kill for a tank, especially for hitscan characters, he's so easy to headshot. And his damage output is terrible too, 100 dmg anywhere other than close range
    -Evie in Median Mid: in a coordinated environment she's still picked regularly, but when it comes to solo carrying I agree there are better choices, like Maeve or Andro..
    -Ruckus in Upper Mid: he's super good at diving the backline, especially if he has a flank playing with him, really strong. He's so damn underrated.
    -Grohk in low tier, his uses are very limited.
    -Io & Corvus into High Tier, cuz they're such strong pocket characters, and Io basically has everything and is in dire need of nerfs.

"Barik's damage output is terrible" Huh? I know for a fact if you play the character competently, in most of your matches, you're going to do a heck of a lot more damage than most tanks will. Of course I main the character so maybe that factors into doing top damage in like half the ranked games I play him. Inara gets like half of Barik's damage from my experiences, and doesn't quite sustain twice as well. Barik has issues with burst sure, but honestly if he didn't he might be high tier. His damage output is really high for a tank and he can actually sustain fairly well if you utilize his shorter stature.

Add that Evie's more difficult to play than either and there you go. Pretty much exactly what I would say.

Ruckus in upper mid: lol no. Ruckus is a throw pick in ranked most of the time, unless the player is particularly competent with him. His sustain is pretty abysmal, and his damage output is high for a tank but that doesn't really fix the fact he can't even function as a tank. I don't see how any of that changes.

Grohk is getting buffed, you know that right? And yeah the Grohk buffs aren't anything to scoff at either. Granted next patch is a damage Grohk nerf, the buffs to healing Grohk IMO make him potentially pretty decent. In fact, I've seen Heal Grohk work pretty decently as high as Plat/Diamond ranked.

Io's nerfs are pretty huge, especially making Luna cautable. Luna's sustain is FAR worse next patch. As for Corvus, hes POTENTIALLY high tier with the right synergies. Without the right synergies he's actually pretty mid tier.

• @Dusklicious said in Tank Main's Speculative 3.4 Tier List.:

She's low because she's so easy for any hitscan to adequately deal with and she's pretty much countered by half decent positioning. Even Dredge is far better because at least he does good damage... She does by far the lowest output of any blaster in the game.

She has excellent winrates at Diamond and Masters though, shouldn't high rank players be capable of half decent positioning?

@schachmaty said in Tank Main's Speculative 3.4 Tier List.:

Barik below Inara: He feels really easy to kill for a tank, especially for hitscan characters, he's so easy to headshot. And his damage output is terrible too, 100 dmg anywhere other than close range

Wiki says: Has dynamic damage fall off of 85. Damage is reduced up to 50% at maximum range.

So Barik's damage should never be below 250 for a full hit. He can do headshots and his turrets do extra damage.

• PC

So Barik's damage should never be below 250 for a full hit. He can do headshots and his turrets do extra damage.

That doesn't necessarily work like that, although what they are saying here is completely ridiculous nonetheless.

The thing is his damage is divided into 13 pellets, each of them doing roughly 38.5 damage. At longer ranges it's much more unlikely to hit all the pellets on a single target, and you will deal less damage because of that.

The problem with his assessment isn't that, but it's the fact you aren't going to always engage people from range anyways. Normally in fact you should try to get as close to the enemy as is safe to do because of that very factor. And that drop-off doesn't somehow make Barik's damage abysmal. In fact, back when Better Meta was up, it always showed Barik in the top 3 damage-wise for tanks even at his worst. AtM he's at the least 2nd in terms of damage output. Not only because the picture painted by the argument made there is misleading, but because he has three pretty solid sources of damage in his kit. Whereas on average Inara does like half the damage Barik does.

• PC

After 3.4 came out I've started realizing a few things wrong with this list, and here's my current revised version as my suspicions about a potential pocket meta are coming more and more into focus:

Personal 3.4 Tier List.jpg

I would make individual, paragraph-length comments for most of the shifts, but I'll just keep it brief:

Most ALL of the shifts: Effects of Corvus' new position in the meta. There's a reason he's banned out now in most comp games. He benefits characters he can either easily use to protect himself or easily pocket, but hurts others in the process. He is the new best support in the game, from all indications. A bit early to say, but yeah. He could be a lower high or even high tier now.

Also Moji: nerfs didn't go through, also benefits from Corvus.

• I tried the new Fernando Aegis build and so far it seems to work quite well. The shield can be used as self-heal now. Especially in solo fights against flanks this can be very effective. Tanknando might become more popular after a while also since Khan plays Storm-of-bullets now.
    Grohk heal also feels better now. He can heal a similar amount as other supports (with both ammo cards) and combined with good damage, ult and 40% speed buff he might become a viable main support.

Wow, you raised Moji FOUR tiers? Didn't she get nerfed?. 😈

• PC

I tried the new Fernando Aegis build and so far it seems to work quite well. The shield can be used as self-heal now. Especially in solo fights against flanks this can be very effective. Tanknando might become more popular after a while also since Khan plays Storm-of-bullets now.
    Grohk heal also feels better now. He can heal a similar amount as other supports (with both ammo cards) and combined with good damage, ult and 40% speed buff he might become a viable main support.

Wow, you raised Moji FOUR tiers? Didn't she get nerfed?. 😈

Tanknando can work from my experience, but it has its issues. It does less damage than other point tanks, and it also seems to not work as well in ranked as it does in casuals. Pretty early to tell, but it doesn't really seem good enough to compete with the main three point tanks in most situations.

I still don't really see Grohk being good really happening especially with pocket supports being the go-to in Plat/Dia ranked at least my experience. It also doesn't help that this patch is actually a nerf to damage Grohk. But yet again I haven't really experienced the new Grohk buffs and it's pretty early.

The spray nerfs aren't on Live. AoC people said so. Plus Corvus being meta makes her honestly stronger this patch. Plus my opinion shifted when I actually had to play against her a few times in ranked. Not only is she way more effective than I'd expected, she's even worth banning on her better maps.

Tanknando can work from my experience, but it has its issues. It does less damage than other point tanks, and it also seems to not work as well in ranked as it does in casuals. Pretty early to tell, but it doesn't really seem good enough to compete with the main three point tanks in most situations.

I see him as off tank. He is not as good as Ash or Raum but better than Ruckus and Khan and Atlas.

• PC

@Dusklicious said in Tank Main's Speculative 3.4 Tier List.:

I see him as off tank. He is not as good as Ash or Raum but better than Ruckus and Khan and Atlas.

Atlas is kind of a tie I'd say, but definitely better than Ruckus/Khan/Torvald. Atlas now is actually quite viable on maps like Splitstone Quarry.

• @Dusklicious I haven't seen an Atlas since, I dunno, 20-30 matches. Can't even remember a good Atlas. So that's hard to judge for me.

• PC

@Dusklicious I haven't seen an Atlas since, I dunno, 20-30 matches. Can't even remember a good Atlas. So that's hard to judge for me.

I've played Atlas a few times during the new patch. Feels better, though in a few of them I've had to solo tank... Which Atlas definitely cannot do.

I've played Atlas a few times during the new patch. Feels better, though in a few of them I've had to solo tank... Which Atlas definitely cannot do.

What is in my opinion a big advantage for an off-tank to be able to solo if no other tank is picked (or a Ruckus) or the main tank dies or trolls. The fact that if you would have picked Nando instead of Atlas, you'd have done better in this matches, means that Nando is a higher tier than Atlas, if he is not much better as an off tank to compensate for being situational.

• PC

After a little while longer playing the patch, here's a revision of my last list:

Personal 3.4 Tier List.jpg

Notations-

Maeve down to Lower High- She's not as strong as Moji or Term are at the moment. She is a really strong character not going to lie, but Terminus can protect a Corvus and keep a pocket comp running quite well on his own solo and Moji, well, what was supposed to be a nerf was actually a buff in the end.

Io up to Lower High- Io's still really strong, no doubt about it. She's STILL banned in comp, and I still perfectly understand why. Her nerfs weren't only not enough, they barely did anything noticeable in my opinion.

Andro down to Upper Mid- Andro isn't really thriving right now in my experience. He's a strong character, but there's a lot of ways to deal with him with the current meta characters. Of the top 8 characters, half of them have a good matchup into Andro. Plus he doesn't benefit as much from Pocket meta as does Talus or Koga.

Koga up to Upper Mid- Why do people think that Koga isn't very good? He is, particularly in a meta like this. Frankly he'd be as high as Andro if I saw more results than I have, but those results are really making Koga look much stronger than his general perception. He also benefits as much as Talus does from Corvus and Jenos pockets...

Tiberius down spots- Tiberius just doesn't work well with pocket meta. He's still a potentially strong damage, he just isn't very cooperative with the current meta.

Seris up spots- Frankly, Seris is potentially really strong. She's been consistently underrated, because everybody wants to talk about main supports. She's not a main support, but what she IS, she's a pretty strong off-support with sustain rivaling some frontlines.

Tyra down spots- Tyra looked pretty promising in theory, but in practice Tyra is just outclassed by Vik and Vivian, and also can't even utilize pockets as well as either of them or other choices (some of which counter her).

Fernando up to Median Mid- Fernando actually seems a bit better than expected. I've been getting results in games with him recently using shield builds where I got way more damage than I'd expect. Sometimes I've been able to get as much as 120k shields and 85k damage in a 12-ish minute game. He still needs touching up in some places, but he's actually looking like an option now.

Atlas up spots- Atlas is honestly also looking like a pretty good option on his better maps, as I would have expected. He still needs a little boost, but he can actually do surprisingly well on maps like Fish Market and Stone Keep.

Sha Lin down spots- Sha did get buffed, but in the end he's actually worse than before. Not only does he not work well with pocket meta, but he also just cannot apply Caut as consistently as other damage champions. He also can struggle against Koga who's been going up recently.

Khan up to Lower Mid- Ehh, he's viable, I'll say that. He just has to be played the right way and his team has to work with him. But, he's still highly situational and requires coordination that he didn't used to since he got so heavily nerfed.

Torvald down to Low Tier- He's simply outclassed in this meta by Corvus and Jenos. But of course he's also just a bad character who has no sustain, no mobility, no damage, and even what he has to compensate is easily outclassed by characters with at least one of those three things.

• Wow. Moji made it in two weeks from trash (upper low) to super star (high tier). 😉

• PC

Wow. Moji made it in two weeks from trash (upper low) to super star (high tier). 😉

Actually she went from top tier to low tier all the way back up to high tier. I thought her nerfs were actually buffs, and now I think they would be nerfs if they were fully implemented, but the important nerf didn't even make it, plus this meta's quite favorable for Moji. Give her a Corvus pocket on Jag and she will tear through a backline pretty easily. That also applies to several other maps. Brightmarsh and Ice Mines probably most notably.

• It's funny how Torv is hated by everyone. Andrew Chicken is also like: worst champ ever. His winrate is 51%-57% from gold to Diamond what is at least average compared with tanks like Khan who has 48%-49%. The point is that Torv is a support and not a tank and compared with other supports his sustain is excellent. He got 3+2K HP plus 2K recharge, that's 7K compared to the 2K HP of other supports. Jumping on a Torv with bounce house Buck might not work. No Kinessa can one-shot him. Since Torv is always an off-support the double support meta suits him.

It's hard to compare with Corvus or Jenos as off-supports. Two healer attacked by two flanks will most likely be massacred while a Healer+Torvald combo might survive.