If the People Want Barik Buffs...

• PC

I will preface this by saying that if I'm being honest, Barik is fine in his current state as is. I say this as a Barik main since OB50 or so, with over 1500 games of the character under my belt. No he doesn't have the sustain of Inara/Term/Nando, but he holds his own if you know what you're doing. His damage output is the highest out of every viable point tank in the entire game, his mobility is absurdly good for a point, and he's even more than serviceable as an off-tank (even if OT his ult is actually pretty much useless). Not to mention his skill ceiling is higher than Inara's and probably Nando's (not Term's because his is really high). He just requires you to adjust to his squishiness, and understand that he has the worst sustain out of every viable point in the game.

However there seems to be this (I personally believe very incorrect and sometimes even delusional) mindset that Barik is straight-up worse than every other point option in the game simply because his sustain isn't up to par (which in a sense is true, but that isn't somehow everything). I don't want Barik to be Inara. I don't want him to be Terminus. Which all of these people seem to want. If they DO want buffs for him, I'll suggest the following (trying to make this as minimal as I can):

• Increase Max HP from 3400 to 3500.
      If sustain is the actual issue, I think a slight buff to his base max hp is in order. Barik's weakness should be his lack of burst sustain, that's by design (which some people don't understand).

• Increase the damage of Tinkerin from 480 to 520 and increase its projectile speed by 15%.
      I will say: Tinkerin is actually hot trash as a talent that's something I can agree with. It needs more consistent output to not be a downgrade.

• Architectonics turret damage boost increased from 20% to 25%.
      This will only give him a slight bit more DPS, but every little bit counts and this is his actually good talent at the moment anyways.

• Palisade cooldown reduction increased from [.4/.4]s to [.6/.6]s.
      I think this buff is absolutely essential to put Fortify on a good level to give these whiners a better sustain option.

• Bunker shield health boost increased from [200/200] to [250/250]. Same logic as the Palisade buff.

These are probably what I'd recommend for buffs to him IF I THOUGHT HE NEEDED THEM. Which he really, honestly doesn't. He's fine in his current state even if Tinkerin is actually downright terrible. The problem is that people are too accustomed to him being top 2 in the point tank meta (as he has been for most of the game's lifespan) and they play him like complacent noobs who forget that Barik's main weakness is burst sustain and that you need to actually try to dodge shots instead of face-tanking everything.

• Personally speaking, I would prefer if Barik had tinkering as his base weapon, and replace tinkering with hair trigger. I really don't think that a point tank should potentially have a dps of over 1,000. I'm fine with him damaging more than other point tanks and being more mobile, especially since his mobility and damage is his sustain to a certain extent. Like, here's the changes I would make:

• base weapon: dps of 500, a single blunder shot with the damage being fully effective up until 75 units, with gradual falloff and have his max damage reduced by 50%

• buff his healing/shield cards on rocket boots. Like I would buff Bowling Ball to {200|200} and Double Time to {65|65}

• I agree with your hp increase. I'm neutral about the turret talent getting buffed, it's not going to be much extra damage if I'm being honest. I agree with the shield cooldown, I;m neutral about the the bunker card, since it wouldn't make much of a difference if I'm being honest; that's like 250 extra shielding, in a meta where shield wreckers should as Vivian and Viktor dominate.

I don't agree with your assessment at the bottom. The problem is that instead of being a point tank, he's a pseudo dps. It could carry games and he was downright broken when he had the crazy sustain on top of the crazy damage, but now that he doesn't have the sustain anymore, he's just not as good. Especially in the sustainy hitscan meta where he can't sustain against hitscans or outdps their sustain. I'd rather more sustain and less dps for a point tank, than the other way around. I do think he should ultimately have more damage than Inara and Terminus, along with more mobility. He shouldn't have damage reduction, but he should have self-sustain options. I don't want him to be an Inara, no one wants that. At the same time, he should still have some sustain as a point tank.

• PC

@HeartQueen said in If the People Want Barik Buffs...:

Personally speaking, I would prefer if Barik had tinkering as his base weapon, and replace tinkering with hair trigger. I really don't think that a point tank should potentially have a dps of over 1,000. I'm fine with him damaging more than other point tanks and being more mobile, especially since his mobility and damage is his sustain to a certain extent. Like, here's the changes I would make:

• base weapon: dps of 500, a single blunder shot with the damage being fully effective up until 75 units, with gradual falloff and have his max damage reduced by 50%

• buff his healing/shield cards on rocket boots. Like I would buff Bowling Ball to {200|200} and Double Time to {65|65}

• I agree with your hp increase. I'm neutral about the turret talent getting buffed, it's not going to be much extra damage if I'm being honest. I agree with the shield cooldown, I;m neutral about the the bunker card, since it wouldn't make much of a difference if I'm being honest; that's like 250 extra shielding, in a meta where shield wreckers should as Vivian and Viktor dominate.

I don't agree with your assessment at the bottom. The problem is that instead of being a point tank, he's a pseudo dps. It could carry games and he was downright broken when he had the crazy sustain on top of the crazy damage, but now that he doesn't have the sustain anymore, he's just not as good. Especially in the sustainy hitscan meta where he can't sustain against hitscans or outdps their sustain. I'd rather more sustain and less dps for a point tank, than the other way around. I do think he should ultimately have more damage than Inara and Terminus, along with more mobility. He shouldn't have damage reduction, but he should have self-sustain options. I don't want him to be an Inara, no one wants that. At the same time, he should still have some sustain as a point tank.

1. Tinkerin as his base weapon is a MASSIVE f*** no. I'd probably stop playing the character at that point. It's kind of interesting you complain about him being a pseudo damage when you're perfectly fine giving him range and stopping him from actually having to play like a tank. Also hair trigger was a stupid talent that I'm glad is gone. Tinkerin has its purpose, to increase range. But hair trigger would just feel like how a tank's base weapon SHOULD be with a faster fire rate. I mean Tinkerin invalidates some of his techs to make him actually sustain. It would actually make his sustain WORSE to put it this way. Pretty sure there was a reason it was not made his base weapon anymore way back in beta.

2. Double Time is already a very strong card and there was definitely a reason it got nerfed, so definitely not in agreement there. As for buffing Bowling Ball, that's a maybe because it's worse than Double Time in every way, but I really don't want it to be as good as it used to be.

3. The HP increase is honestly not really necessary but it might help some peoples' problem with the character a little bit on Architectonics "It's going to be extra damage". Yeah, like 12 extra DPS, before fall-off. That's literally it. Palisade is so bad I don't even run it on Fortify builds (wow running Fortify being actually viable? Two years ago I wouldn't have believed that one). On the shield card, after doing the maths, 275 would LIKELY not become an issue, but I'm not sure if having a shield of over 7k is really necessary.

And that's how he is right now. He already can sustain just fine if you aren't playing him like he's Inara. His sustain is supposed to be his sore spot, or else he'd be stronger than other point options and likely get banned because of his turret's zoning potential. I think he's supposed to be a high damage point option OR a defensive off option and he fits the roles pretty well.

He requires more skill than Inara and requires you to actually utilize his kit and his hurtbox size to sustain. Which of course everyone on Discord thinks is somehow delusional, but that's how Barik actually works. And frankly I feel so little of a difference between 3.1 when he was "the best tank in the entire game" to now where he's supposedly bad. A bit less self-healing is pretty much the only difference and although it's noticeable it's definitely not that noticeable. Tinkerin as his base would definitely ruin the whole character for me and might even make me main Term or something instead. Like that makes half of my techs with him just not work at all. It would frankly just make the character feel more like Cassie with more health, which is the furthest possible thing from what I want for Barik in the opposite of the Inara clone direction.

• @Dusklicious Tinking would obviously have a nerfed range to compensate. I overall want him to have more damage compared to Inara and Terminus, but not too much. It's a balance.

Why do you not want Barik to have more sustain? He's a point tank for a reason. "He's hard to kill." Well no shit. Just like Inara and Terminus are hard to kill, so should Barik be. Also, he wouldn't have as much sustain as before. Bowling Ball before literally gave him 1,500 shielding per rocket boots at level 5. My changes would give him only 1,000. Double Time before the nerf gave 1,600 healing in total. My changes would give about 975 in total.

The HP increase isn't so big if I'm being honest. It's barely anything. Though it's a start I guess. The problem with Barik is that when he gets slight buffs, everyone can't take it. He's the tank version of Buck in that regard.

No one wants him to be like Inara. Inara, Terminus, and Barik have always played differently. The issue with Barik from before was that he had the damage and the sustain. Like he had the damage of Cassie with the sustain of Inara. His damage needed to really be toned down, and his sustain needed to be brought down a bit. Instead they gutted his sustain, meanwhile he can currently have a potential dps of over 1,000 with Architechtonics. It's a case where they nerfed the wrong thing about him.

Honestly speaking, I truly do hate the nerf of Barik, and I really don't like how people are pushing to nerf Inara. It's like they really want to usher in some weird dps and support meta. I don't like how no one dies, but I really don't think that Inara and Barik should be the priority targets for nerfing because of it. Kind of like how people hated the burst meta. Instead of opting for more durability, they opted for this current meta.

• PC

Dealing with the meta in recent weeks has kind of changed my opinion here. Especially after I considered that they're more than likely going to buff Wrecker and Bulldozer in the update after Vora comes out...

At the moment Barik, although not a bottom 3 front (Khan, Koa, Torv), is not really all that great...

My ideas for now (WITH Bulldozer/Wrecker buff) are as follows:

Base Kit-
    Maximum Health- Increased from 3400 to 3500.
    Barricade- Health increased from 3750 to 4250.
    Dome Shield- Now will not be consumed until the Dome Shield is fully deployed.

Cards-
    Bunker- Scaling increased from [200|200] to [275|275].
    Bowling Ball- Scaling increased from [150|150] to [225|225].
    Field Deploy- Scaling increased from [20|20] to [30|30].
    Forged Alloy- Scaling increased from [150|150] to [175|175].
    Healing Station- Now can apply twice from two separate turrets.
    Palisade- Scaling increased from [.4|.4]s to [.6|.6]s.

Talents-
    Tinkerin- Damage increased from 480 to 520. Projectile speed made 15% faster.

• Hmm... I do like some of the changes. Healing station should not stack because that would break it. At 5, it would literally be 250 per second as long as the turret is up. That's more than Jenos. Personally, I like the idea of a single projectile weapon dealing 500 damage per shot for Barik in his base kit, but a slight range nerf. Then have the extra damage per shot as a talent. But to each his own.

I love everything else though.

• PC

Hmm... I do like some of the changes. Healing station should not stack because that would break it. At 5, it would literally be 250 per second as long as the turret is up. That's more than Jenos.

Personally, I like the idea of a single projectile weapon dealing 500 damage per shot for Barik in his base kit, but a slight range nerf. Then have the extra damage per shot as a talent. But to each his own.

I love everything else though.

Honestly it really wouldn't. It would still make him very vulnerable to blasters and snipers who can just destroy his turrets and prevent them from sustaining him. Plus that 250/sec is technically on a 14 second cooldown with Archi so I really think 250/sec at rank 5 isn't that absurd. But I would be willing to concede at 200/sec at rank 5, because there is a lot of sustain potential if it isn't properly countered. I mean current Healing Station without it is a complete joke, not helped by the fact Tinkerin is so bad right now so when one of the two go down you're left with a bad card healing you as much as Vora's almost non-existent f***ing passive heal.

I really still do not like this idea. It encourages Barik to play further away and discourages him from going in. What you would end up with is (yet another) tank that isn't really a tank but more like a tanky damage. I think that Barik as is, while doing the same amount of damage but closer up, is probably a better choice to protect his identity as a tank. I think as a talent idea it works, which, well that's what Tinkerin is. I'll also point out that Tinkerin can't headshot but his base kit can, so he can actually do more damage with his base weapon closer up (which is where a tank should be generally speaking) than with this idea.

• @HeartQueen said in If the People Want Barik Buffs...:

Hmm... I do like some of the changes. Healing station should not stack because that would break it. At 5, it would literally be 250 per second as long as the turret is up. That's more than Jenos.

In fact it was 250 per second before the nerf. 😁

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in If the People Want Barik Buffs...:

In fact it was 250 per second before the nerf. 😁

With a single turret. 250/sec for this new idea requires both to be up and you to be in the AoE of both.

• @Dusklicious said in If the People Want Barik Buffs...:

With a single turret. 250/sec for this new idea requires both to be up and you to be in the AoE of both.

That would require a more defensive turret placement probably, question is if this would be an improvement in his play-style.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in If the People Want Barik Buffs...:

@Dusklicious said in If the People Want Barik Buffs...:

That would require a more defensive turret placement probably, question is if this would be an improvement in his play-style.

I mean it would require you to place your turrets so they sustain better so you can get more out of them. But even then with Archi they have a 7 second CD, plus Forged Alloy exists.