What if we removed 1 card per category?

• @Christlike The real question is if I really cut the depth here or simple expose of things that are in the end "Illusion of choice". Because I believe in some cases I actually enlarged the customization depth on certain champions.

Let me quote myself here:

@TTraw said in What if we removed 1 card per category?:

Out of all those suggestions there were:

• about 6 champions that were hurt by these changes (Andro, Ash, Buck, Cassie, Term, Khan)

which aligns with my statement that about 90% of the cast wouldn't even care about this change.

BUT

• About 17 mustpick cards removed
    • About 12 changes that would help underperforming champions or playstyles
    • About 5 frustrating cards removed from the game
    • And at least 3-4 noobtrap cards yeeted deleted

I don't know about you but that sounds like more good than harm to the balance to the game. Then there's the fix of the issue I mentioned earlier, and that is being overwhelmed by the amount of choices new players are tackled with. Also less visual clutter. And less chance of creating illussions of choice, where some cards are just here for the text and graphics only.

When you remove mustpicks, the amount of cards that you can personally choose from and fit into your deck doesn't decrease, it increases.

• @TTraw this is all coming from personal frustrations though. Few people are having those problems. You're the minority with taking cards away. You're just good at arguing lol. Really is no reason for it. Removing must picks? Even must picks are just must for the common play style of said champ. Though theres a meta its all extremely subjective still.

• @TTraw
    Why can't your friends or new players just pick one of the pre-made decks like I do. No stress, and by the way love the dramatic Exhausting and Parilyzing bit lol

• bad cards are part of the fun, if all the cards were good it would make all. loadouts good.

playing and learning the card system is half the fun of the game and a large part of why i still play.

• @Christlike How do you know how much people have this problem? It's true that the game became very complex. There is no decent description what cards actually do. Technical terms like "deployable". Internal cooldowns of cards. If the loadout I create by the descriptions doesn't do what I expect that could be frustrating.

• @M3RC3N4RI0 that's your oversight though. Not the games problem. They are clear enough and some things you have to experiment with etc. I didn't know up until a couple days ago that they put CD on some cards for some champs. Happend during my time off. Have 800+ hours into the game and that was totally new to me.

The point is i dont think it's a good idea to neutere the game to make things more simple for the minority. I know it isn't a major problem because it's born out of personal issues. Not technical gameplay stuff.

• @Christlike Obviously a major problem that should be fixed since it will frustrate new players.

• @M3RC3N4RI0 its only frustrating you.

• @Shadowpuppy said in What if we removed 1 card per category?:

cards have good and bad cards, if there are no bad cards then there is no such thing as a bad loadout...
    If you dont have bad you cannot feel good about creating something that works.

This change does not remove all the bad and good cards. Just some of them to encourage more uses of the other cards. There's imo currently too much mustpicks and worthless cards rn.

Also i find it fun to try and find uses for cards no one uses.
    The exploration of the cards is half the fun of the game. It should not be changed.

Of course I agree here! And in case you didn't notice, I am a big fan of making non-meta things work.

My main damage is Mana Rift Imani, which is alone one of the most underplayed things in this game.

My Nando loadout uses

• Fireball CD 2
    • Speed on Fireball 4
    • Speed on Charge 4
    • CD reduction of charge for each enemy hit by Fireball 4
    • Charge reduction after shield is damaged 1

And this is honestly the only way I play him and noone else seems to use these cards in tandem with eachother.

Before season3 shifted Seris meta, I was one of the few Soul Collector mains w/Umbral Gait. UGait was considered one of her worst cards (even tho I thought it was her best even at that time). This is the only card I was ever complained ab out having in my loadout! Think about that for a second! Heck, I even didn't use Veil at that time and still managed to have 60% winrate on her. Other than Soul Forge, I literally used her least used cards. Spirit leech, bane, ugait. Those all were almost never picked at that time.

For furia, I smax fire siphon card. Noone uses it but I think its very powerful. My Corvus loadout doesnt use speed boost card - I smax Priority Targets that noone uses. And so on.

As you can see, I really focus on making my builds unique and personalized while still making them work.

However there's no denying that certain cards cannot be removed from your deck, like Grand Design or old Soul Forge, and some cards are just worthless in value. Dusk Walker reduces CD by 3s, Fade To Black reduces the same cd by 4 each time Seris heals a target....

There's clear discrepancy between cards and removing some of them is one way to solve the issue.

@Christlike said in What if we removed 1 card per category?:

this is all coming from personal frustrations though. Few people are having those problems. You're the minority with taking cards away.

I might be minority in suggesting this controversial solution, but this issue is definitely NOT a minority issue. There's tons of people complaining how to play certain champion you must accept that sacrificing one or two cards slots is a must to play champion at basic level.

You're just good at arguing lol.

LOL. I wish I heard that irl.

Really is no reason for it. Removing must picks? Even must picks are just must for the common play style of said champ. Though theres a meta its all extremely subjective still.

I was saying the same when old Soul Forge 5 existed, arguing that Seris needs to have it because we need to differentiate between DPSeris and healing Seris.

Now that they reworked it into something else and moved to base kit, Seris has never felt so good. She has more choices to pick from, and even though not all cards are currently viable it's more because they also nerfed her other cards too harshly with this change (Dark Whisper, Bane). Ever since I've been advocate of reworking/removing unfun cards that remove 1 of your loadout slots.

@DocsHolliday57 said in What if we removed 1 card per category?:

@TTraw
    Why can't your friends or new players just pick one of the pre-made decks like I do.

Because premade decks are mostly shit.

Also, one of your starting quests is to make a loadout. Seeing giant flow of information of 16 different cards with large description and leveling system is simply off-putting for any newcomer.

It's hidden in human psyche, simple as that. It is a studied fact that people are less likely to buy a product if they are overwhelmed by choice, and similar logic can be applied to video games. You need to show new players only specific portion of information at a time and then progress them into new options along with the experience they gain.

This is related to both good game design and good UI design and currently, our loadout system does not do that. With removing cards we could kill 2 birds in one stone - overwhelming information, as well as unbalanced decks.

No stress, and by the way love the dramatic Exhausting and Parilyzing bit lol

SO DRAMATIC

that's your oversight though. Not the games problem. They are clear enough and some things you have to experiment with etc. I didn't know up until a couple days ago that they put CD on some cards for some champs. Happend during my time off. Have 800+ hours into the game and that was totally new to me.

So you're saying you had problem to notice a certain aspect of the game after 800h experience, and then scratch is off as "not a big deal"? I would say it's games fault and not yours, because the timer is placed in a spot where you can barely notice it.

its only frustrating you.

That's clearly false. It also frustrates me and my new buddies.

• @TTraw correction. You and the small minority. The majority want depth and paladins is a democracy. ✌ lol

• @Christlike said in What if we removed 1 card per category?:

. The majority want depth and paladins is a democracy.

To me it sounds more like:

I want depth the same way I had my Season 2 meta. Full of Soul Forge 5 in every loadout

• @TTraw yes!