The Update 'Cataclysm' is aptly named...

• ... because it's a god damned disaster.

Don't get me wrong completely, the new front line, Yagroathczhhorichyn the Vowel Slayer, looks like, appropriately, a beast. The novel mechanic being introduced gives, at least in my own case, something to look forward too as it sounds rather novel.

Novelty is good for a time.

Of course then 'Development Team' (and I want you all to hear the sarcasm oozing between clenched teeth there) decide they want to develop the more helpless members of the player base and buff the absolute hell out of champions that do most of the work for you.

It's bad enough that they've already made Seris into the bathrobe wearing, no aim needs just spam that crap, bitch that she is but they decided to make her even more so:

Seris

**Talents**
        Mortal Reach

Time between healing ticks 17% ➡️ 25%

**Abilities**
        Restore Soul

Increased Healing granted to adjacent allies 40% ➡️ 60%

**Shadow Travel**
            Reduced Cooldown 14s ➡️ 12s

**Rend Soul**
            Reduced Cooldown 10s ➡️ 5s
            Reduced Damage 100 ➡️ 60
            Reduced Healing Received 15% ➡️ 8%

Yes, her damage and healing our lowered a bit, and while the former makes sense the latter will just be incentivizing further cross classing idiocy.

Willo herself also is getting boosted up the wazoo pretty much across the board, again, this is champion where accuracy is more of a suggestion than a prerequisite.

**[Dead Zone]** Pixie Dust

Increased healing {65|65} ➡️ {75|75}

**[Dead Zone] Shenanigans**

Increased movement speed {5|5}% ➡️ {8|8}%

Increased duration of movement speed 2.5s ➡️ 3s

**[Dead Zone] Sparkle**

Increased duration of Dead Zone {0.5|0.5}s ➡️ {0.6|0.6}s

• And THANK YOU HI Rez for posting before I was finished when I hit the space bar and not 'Enter'. Well done.

Where were we... oh yes, honest criticism. So while those two travesties are now among us we have the other side of the coin- punishing players who actually value the acquisition of skill.

One constant source of ire for me, at least, was the inclusion long ago of Strix who is simply 'Right Click/Left Click for 1.2k damage'. Far too easy a 'sniper' (And again, take a moment to taste the contempt) designed around the concept of Low Risk/High Reward, joy!

But let's add to that by taking the only actual sniper worthy of the name (who a year back or so got savaged ruthlessly) is Hi Rez's chew toy of the month once again!

Kinessa

**Steady Aim**
            Reduced time limit for bonus damage 7s ➡️ 4s
            Reduced Additional Damage Increase 30% ➡️ 20%

So not only does a Kinessa player need seconds to charge the shot, but now for less damage. Yes, a skilled Kinessa player is a major threat, but that's because they earned that! But no, apparently Hi Rez wants to even the playing field so anyone can think of themselves as accomplished just by starting the game.

Bra-Farking-Vo.

Torvald

**Thanks, Grandpa**
            Reduced Shielding 500 ➡️ 300

Like Kinessa he was already hit with the Debuff Hammer. And also like Kinessa he requires skill and commitment to be a danger, which again, is earned. A good Torvold has more responsibilities than any other champion. Marking enemies, dealing with combat, holding the point, all while keeping his eyes on his companions who might need a bubble.

'No, no,', thinks The Dev Team, 'We can't have anything that fosters actual teamwork aside from healers now along with a novel mechanic! Call in the nerfs!

At this point, I suppose we should be grateful they just didn't strap a nuke to Dredge's shoulder with a 1sec cool down and no friendly fire damage.

I still like this game, the community leaves much to be desired - not that I've helped as much as I should myself, but it appears that skill based champs are being marginalized in some warped ideal of 'fun' that spits in the face of actual accomplishment and seeks to reward anyone who just bothers to logon.

I AM Looking forward to the new tank (I like tanking, makes me feel like the center of the world), but these changes are rewarding the wrong aspects and punishing the correct ones.

-MH

• One last thing:

Io

Guardian Spirit

Luna can no longer Capture objectives points, or push the Siege Cart.

I already stated that one thing I (more and more used to) enjoy in Paladins was the novelty and originality of different Champions. Io is one such case.

Yes, Luna being able to cap and push was a major pain in the ass, but it demanded altering plans, and taking aspects of the battle into account that would not exist otherwise.

With Luna's prime ability gone Io is very little more than a piss poor Seris with a dash of Grover thrown in so I disagree with this change very much (And I don't play Io).

An alternative would be removing Luna's stun and/or having her unable to push the siege, but still able to cap or something along those lines.

As it stands now Hi Rez is taking more than they're offering with this update and the game and will be lesser for it.

• I appreciate the heck out of the changes done to seris. Shes one of my favorite champs. The mortal reach and restore soul buffs are gonna make her healing legit late game with caut. Her 5 second CD reduction on rend soul is great if you ask me. Im going to be running chronos 3 and get 2 to 2.5 second rend soul. Can make a mortal reach seris viable for damage as well and not just a heal bot. Damage is lowered by 40 but she can crank more rends out.

I also play willow some and I play healing willo with pixie dust 5 so another great buff for me.

Torvold nerf is just a slap to the face of an already niche off tank. What makes him worth picking up as an off tank is protection.

Could give a crap less about Io. Glad that fox is going to be treated like a beefed up ying illusion now.

• @Christlike I appreciate and am pleased you find something to like in these changes, mate; but the point I've attempted to make about how they are crushing down diversity in tactics and maintaining the responsibility of the player to become more skilled has not been addressed.

You even yourself admitted that the 'new' (read: crappy) Luna will be a slightly overdone Ying illusion. So instead of two separate powers/challenges the game has been reduced (read: dumbed down) to like and more of the alike.

Frankly I am bamboozled by this Seris Damage frenzy. Hold Left Click .. woohoo I'mma shoor havin' mah'self a gud time now!

I mean Vivien is boring and dry as snorting chalk dust and now there's this abomination masquerading as some sort of accomplishment.

On the other hand, not sure I follow your meaning for the late game healing ticks. I read it as the amount of healing and rate of healing ticks will be reduced lessening her healing output, not a gain.

• @Mad-Hamlet I was wondering about that. I took it as a buff.

You can seriously though crack on Any champ. I don't know what you're mad about?

Who do you use or main?

• Kinessa/Torvold mostly. Been working on Terminus/Vora for a while with a dash of Lian thrown in.

So yes, these debuffs for my two mains are a bit personal, but I stand by my original assertion that, while the new frontline's mechanics are welcome, we're losing out more than we're gaining.

• Idk I just see it as the ebb and flow of meta and balancing.

Sucks about torvold though. I always liked him since way back when.

• The issue is reward for skill and should a champion suck because they require minimum skill? Kinessa does require a lot of skill, but does that justify one tapping a chunk of the roster? I personally don't think so. Though I don't think the duration Steady Aim was a problem. I think it just should've procted only on body shots since It doesn't require as much skill as Eagle Eye tbh. Torvald just needs a rework. Like how many nerfs are they planning to put on him before they realize that his kit just doesn't work?

I do think skilled champions should be more reward overall, but that doesn't mean things need to be busted or suck. Should Seris and the pocket supports because the best supports? No. But they shouldn't be throw picks. Should Kinessa be rewarded for skill? Yes. But she shouldn't one tap. Like I think Ying, Mal'Damba, and Pip should provide utility, while Jenos and Corvus just provide numbers since they heal through walls and require no aim. I think Ying should reduce the cooldown of whoever she heals with shatter. Mal'Damba's mending spirits should provide life steal. Pip's speed boost in potion is good enough.

• @Christlike said in The Update 'Cataclysm' is aptly named...:

I appreciate the heck out of the changes done to seris. Shes one of my favorite champs. The mortal reach and restore soul buffs are gonna make her healing legit late game with caut. Her 5 second CD reduction on rend soul is great if you ask me. Im going to be running chronos 3 and get 2 to 2.5 second rend soul. Can make a mortal reach seris viable for damage as well and not just a heal bot. Damage is lowered by 40 but she can crank more rends out.

I hope you realize they forgot to nerf the Q healing from 15% to 8% so that's why she feels so good on PTS.

I am waiting for the fall.

• @HeartQueen Yeah, but here's the thing- Kinessa hasn't been able to one tap in years. I mean, MAYBE she can get a one shot off with Eagle Eye on a particularly weak, unbuffed flank, but that's a rare occurrence.

So yes, she should be able to take a chunk off in return for having poor mobility, a pretty lousy escape mechanism, poor close range combat and long fire time.

I mean right now a three second charge for 1.4K hit compared to a fast firing Strix?

After this patch you'll never see her on the battlefield again.

• @Mad-Hamlet I agree.

• @Mad-Hamlet said in The Update 'Cataclysm' is aptly named...:

@HeartQueen Yeah, but here's the thing- Kinessa hasn't been able to one tap in years. I mean, MAYBE she can get a one shot off with Eagle Eye on a particularly weak, unbuffed flank, but that's a rare occurrence.

So yes, she should be able to take a chunk off in return for having poor mobility, a pretty lousy escape mechanism, poor close range combat and long fire time.

I mean right now a three second charge for 1.4K hit compared to a fast firing Strix?

After this patch you'll never see her on the battlefield again.

Kinessa has vertical mobility. Let's not. The only bad thing about her escape mechanism is that she's required to put 4 card points into it in order for it to be good.

Steady Aim does more damage than Eagle Eye. Steady Aim does 2,160 headshot, which is a one shot to the entire flank class, save Buck, and squishy damages like Strix, Lian, etc. Though I don't think the duration of it should have been nerfed. I think Steady Aim should only damage boost body shots as a nerf since it doesn't require as much skill as Eagle Eye. That way it's more consistent for baby Kinessa players, while Eagle Eye is the better talent for skilled Kinessa players that can hit head shots more consistently.

Like I don't think Kinessa should be nerfed into the ground, but you do need to realize how frustrating a good Kinessa is, especially after Buck got a nerf to Bulk Up as he was the only flank that could actually deal with a skilled Kinessa player. Especially when a huge chunk of maps in active rotations heavily favor her.

• @HeartQueen i mean if you want to base the crux of your argument on the basis that steady aim is for baby noobs and eagle eye for OP pros then go ahead.

I main flank and support and I can consistently work over strix and kinessa. A good sniper is the sniper that doenst have to deal with pressure. Give them high damage output. That's all a sniper has in this game.

@HeartQueen i mean if you want to base the crux of your argument on the basis that steady aim is for baby noobs and eagle eye for OP pros then go ahead.

I main flank and support and I can consistently work over strix and kinessa. A good sniper is the sniper that doenst have to deal with pressure. Give them high damage output. That's all a sniper has in this game.

lol. No. Steady Aim is literally the easier talent and that's a fact because you can get a damage boost without hitting head shots, and then get a headshot damage boost when you happen to hit a headshot, and that headshot does more damage than Eagle Eye's headshot. Eagle Eye actually REQUIRES headshots in order to work, which is why it's a high skill talent compared to Steady Aim.

There isn't much a flank can do against a Kinessa that's actually good at hitting headshots. You're against bad sniper players. Ironically, everyone kept complaining about Strix over Kinessa when there's actually more counterplay against a good Strix than a good Kinessa simply because most off tanks can actually reach Strix and contest him, and he doesn't one shot most flanks, which gives them more time to counter him. Kinessa has vertical mobility, which means that only champions with vertical mobility, or a sniper tank like Atlas, can actually counter her, plus she does a 2,100 or 2,160 headshot with her damage boosting talents, so if the Kinessa you're against can hit headshots consistently on a map with vertical mobility, that leaves only the following who can counter her:

• Buck
    • Atlas
    • Ruckus
    • and MAYBE a Maeve with hp card at 5 so you get out of that Eagle Eye one-shot potential, and dr on pounce at 4 or 5. Take in mind on really long maps with vertical mobility, Kinessa will still burst you down before you can even get to her unless you have like a Corvus and Jenos pocketing you or something.

• @HeartQueen lol no. Go ahead and try to head shot me. You gotta think about getting away before you think precision head shot. You counter snipers by flanking them. They either die or have to get away.

I've destroyed so many snipers its unreal. You're talking theory. Theoretically kinessa can do this blah blah head shot blah blah 21k blah blah but it doesn't ever happen.

@HeartQueen lol no. Go ahead and try to head shot me. You gotta think about getting away before you think precision head shot. You counter snipers by flanking them. They either die or have to get away.

Wtf are you talking about? Why does Kinessa have to get away when a headshot will kill most of the flank class? lol. The only flanks that can survive a headshot from her are max dr and hp Maeve, and max dr Buck. Even then, Kinessa can just do another quick tap to finish Maeve off, unless Maeve has a pocket or two.

It does happen with GM Kinessa players a lot of times often. Like I can destroy a casual Kinessa with fucking Willo. That doesn't mean I can also destroy a GM Kinessa with Willo as well. Like unless you're going against GM and pro Kinessa players, let's not.

• @HeartQueen I don't care if youre GM or pro or whatever you cover positioning and flank right there a nothing a sniper can do but hope to get away. You don't mosey on up to them in broad daylight.

Thats why they are niche. They are picked by certian players for certain maps and comps. When they are bad they get snowballed. They suck.

@HeartQueen I don't care if youre GM or pro or whatever you cover positioning and flank right there a nothing a sniper can do but hope to get away. You don't mosey on up to them in broad daylight.

Thats why they are niche. They are picked by certian players for certain maps and comps. When they are bad they get snowballed. They suck.

You're so naive it's actually sort of adorable. A sniper literally doesn't need to get away from a flank if they have good enough aim to one tap them. Only 1 flank counters Strix, and that's Buck. Only 2 flanks counter Kinessa, and that's Maeve and Buck. Every other flank is food to a sniper with aim.

They are niche because you can draft a flank like Buck or an off tank to pressure them. Also, 90% of snipers are straight ass, 8% are decent or good, and 1% are godtier. Still, it doesn't mean that if they do have the skill, they should be able to one-tap a chunk of the roster. No one likes being one-tapped, which is why people are asking for snipers to get nerfed.

• @HeartQueen you're not one tapping anything when you're getting attacked from behind.