I still can't play the game due to the insane performance issues.

• Shortly after I launch the game everything is fine, stable 175 fps on max settings. However, at arbitrary point few mintues later it all goes to hell and my fps plummets to 70ish and if I continue it even starts dropping below 60. Both CPU and GPU usage remain super low when that happens. It persist in the main menu and in the following matches. This bug has lasted for around half a year now. During this period I've been checking the state of the game multiple times but still can't go back due to this issue. I tried messing with all the graphics settings in search for a bug but to no avail. It's actually significantly worse now than it was half a year ago, on multiple occassions the game entered a state in which it was basically freezing at even slightest mouse movement. This second bug seems to have a "cooking time" as well. Just now I've entered the shooting range and initially it was ok, however, once I started moving the camera fps started dropping from 175 to around 100, and the more I moved it the worse it got untill the point of freezing completely. Also, if I press esc and move the mouse in the menu, it sometimes move ok yet still producing the fps drop in the background, or it starts moving in a completely chaotic way barely following my hand's movement. This issue exists in the main menu as well. That's quite ridiculous.

Before that I used to play at locked 150fps with only very occassional and short lived drops to 110, now it's 70-80 fps with drops to sub 60.

My Specs are as follows:
    Windows 10 64 bit
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Ryzen 5 1600
    16 GB RAM

All drivers are up to date and the game is launched with all other apps closed. During my career I've went through many bugs but this one is just to much to endure.

• PC

@U1325691764 said in I still can't play the game due to the insane performance issues.:

ics settings in search for a bug but to no avail. It's actually significantly worse now than it was half a year ago, on multiple occassions the game entered a state in which it was basically freezing at even slightest mouse movement. This second bug seems to have a "cooking time" as well. Just now I've entered the shooting range and initially it was ok

I have similar hardware except my CPU is the Ryzen 2600 on a MSI motherboard. I'm still using the Nvidia 430.86 driver. I have no such issue.

Virus/malware problem? Check CPU and GPU temperatures.

• The temps are perfect (not that they could explain such behaviour anyway) and I highly doubt it's something malware related.

• PC

@U1325691764 A temp problem can cause throttling. Exactly what Windows 10 build is it? I'm still on 1809 - 1903 has not been offered to me yet for some reason. Did you try the Nvidia driver I'm using?

• Overheating would cause overall low fps, instead I have 175 fps when I don't move my mouse and virtually zero fps when I move it even in menu (second issue, not always present). Also it wouldn't lower my fps so randomly (first issue, always present). Both my problems seem connected somehow because even if the mouse mvoement doesn't destroy the framerate completely it still seems to lower my fps for no reason.

My windows build was 1803, after updating it to the newest one it seemed to help at first (no issue in shooting range) but upon entering the match it became obvious the problem still exists. 😞

I can set it to 800x600 and 50% scaling or 2560x1440 and 200% scaling and it doesn't impact framerate at all.

• PC

@U1325691764

It was the "cooking time" that got me thinking about the temps.

What's the polling rate of the mouse? I'm using 500hz. If you're higher than that try 500.

• PC

@U1325691764 said in I still can't play the game due to the insane performance issues.:

I can set it to 800x600 and 50% scaling or 2560x1440 and 200% scaling and it doesn't impact framerate at all.

Same, the difference is almost impercetible to me

• PC

@U1325691764

Do you have a controller connected by any chance? Unplug it and see if that solves it.

• @DaddyOoker said in I still can't play the game due to the insane performance issues.:

Do you have a controller connected by any chance? Unplug it and see if that solves it.

Thank you, this changed quite a lot. I did have a gamepad plugged in, and after unplugging it a lot has changed. The fps drop is not so sudden and inevitable now. I can play 2-3 matches qutie smoothly. However after that the performance issue strikes again. This time however it doesn't lead to such extreme overall fps drop. Instead my fps remain fairly high, unfortunately though, the frametimes go all over the place and the game becomes very jittery. That's one side of the problem and restarting the game somehow resets "the timer" so I can play few matches again. The other is that on few occasions, my fps went from 144, to around 50 and not only that, the frametimes went through the roof as well, introducing a very strong and constant stutter. To solve that I had to quickly go to the desktop and back to the game. This other issue may happen sooner than 3rd or 4th game.

Overall, this improved the situation quite a lot, however being able to paly only 2-3 matches without the issue (if I;m lucky not to encounter the other problem described) and then having to restart the game regularly is still an unacceptable state of affairs.

• PC

@U1325691764

Well, that's progress.

What about the mouse polling rate - Did you try/check that?
    There is a crude online checker you can use to see what the polling rate is here: https://zowie.benq.com/ja/support/mouse-rate-checker.html

Edit: I bumped my mouse to 1000hz. No problems at all - but that's my system. You should still try it.

What brand is the 1060 card? What is the exact Nvidia driver you're using?
    I read something not long ago about the latest driver having problems (not Paladins related) - you might want to try the driver I mentioned earlier - that's still what I'm using. Download link for the one I use is here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/147964/en-us

Additional: I have DX11 enabled in the Paladins options. Is yours on or off? Does changing the setting make a difference.

• @DaddyOoker said in I still can't play the game due to the insane performance issues.:

@U1325691764

@DaddyOoker woow, i didn't know that gamepad CAN cap the FPS, i though i have problems with my graphic card, i search every where around the web about lagging in paladins, can't find one that match my problem 😞

then i just found your suggestion, about controller, then i unplug it, bam, it's clear, problem solve.... my fps back from 30++ to 170++

thank you for your suggestion..

• Polling rate doesn't seem to have much of an impact if any at all. The situation overall seems a tiny bit better and I can cap the game at around 100 fps, however constant and very annoying drops are still present although they are less intensive and appear later. I can still play about one or two matches without the issue. Plugging the pad makes the situation as bad as it was initially. If I unplug gamepad during a match fps improves instantly. Chaning the polling rate doesn't have the same impact. One of the symptoms I didn't mention is that whenever a character appears on a hero selection I get these massive drops. I think I haven't had them before. Overall the game still isn't playable, maybe a match or two in casual but I couldn't play competetive like that.

• This post is deleted!