Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle)

• PC

mmmhhhh, your loadouts ain't good, you totally need that cooldown reset on your dash at lvl 2, also the card granting moonlight from luna is better than the one restoring when you don't use cause it's 2% per lvl instead of one, with life link you probably don't need 4points in self heal, moonlight garden is pretty bad, it will just make you waste your stun on a random person and then you'll die cause you got flanked

this is from my ranked experience playing Io in high diamond games

and my main advice is to position Luna like she's grohk's totem, keep her close, but make sure enemies can't shoot her, this allows her to heal you, giving you moonlight, and prevent her from stunning random people, then she will prevent you from dying to a flank
    of course you gotta reposition luna depending on where you go, that's why the card lowering redeploy cd is good

• @M3RC3N4RI0 Io Ult counters Ash's and the damage & CC immunity useful during 1v1 fight and during point fights.
    PS : I just discover her ult cleanse Root yesterday - making me miss the ult completely cause I was surprised with the cleanse effect in otherwise a perfect aim lol -

• @TangAce said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

mmmhhhh, your loadouts ain't good, you totally need that cooldown reset on your dash at lvl 2, also the card granting moonlight from luna is better than the one restoring when you don't use cause it's 2% per lvl instead of one, with life link you probably don't need 4points in self heal, moonlight garden is pretty bad, it will just make you waste your stun on a random person and then you'll die cause you got flanked

this is from my ranked experience playing Io in high diamond games

and my main advice is to position Luna like she's grohk's totem, keep her close, but make sure enemies can't shoot her, this allows her to heal you, giving you moonlight, and prevent her from stunning random people, then she will prevent you from dying to a flank
    of course you gotta reposition luna depending on where you go, that's why the card lowering redeploy cd is good

I have a kind of similar loadout, but I'm leaning toward Moonlight Garden more than Protectors recently only because Luna is very valuable on the point especially early in the game. Giving the tank the freedom to be aggressive or to take cover without having to sacrifice caping points. The redeploying reduction is important for this to be able to move Luna near you every now and then.

I personally prefer to add Sanctum of Faith because it is contestant, I wouldn't invest points into the self healing card.
    Sanctum of Faith 5
    Moonlight Garden / Protectors 4
    Spirit Arrows 2
    Crescent 2 ( a must have for escaping imo )
    Broken Deity 2

• PC

@Mubher
    good player would have at least 1 bulldozer 2 in early, so you can't put luna on point during fight, as simple as that

good player would have at least 1 bulldozer 2 in early, so you can't put luna on point during fight, as simple as that

At least at Platin 1 the only one who buys bulldozer against IO is usually me, playing a Barik or Grover who don't do much damage. So for 97% of the players it might work to put Luna on point. 😎

I hate the ugly little critter. 😈

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

@TangAce said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

At least at Platin 1 the only one who buys bulldozer against IO is usually me, playing a Barik or Grover who don't do much damage. So for 97% of the players it might work to put Luna on point. 😎

I hate the ugly little critter. 😈

Gold tier... I've played two IO matches in ranked so far.
    Match 1: Enemy Maeve bought bulldozer
    Match 2: Enemy Dredge and Torvald bought bulldozer

Bulldozer or not, you should be able to put Luna on point during zoning and go off with the team. Luna will cap. Not exactly fair... I can't say I get a zoning team that often but that's a different issue.

• @DaddyOoker said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle)

Bulldozer or not, you should be able to put Luna on point during zoning and go off with the team. Luna will cap. Not exactly fair

Luna is good on point since she heals the tanks. If I play Barik I put my turrets next to Luna and cover her with my shield, then it is not so easy to kill me without killing Luna first. 300 heal by the critter, 200 from the turret.

PS
    Just played vs IO with Platin I (being last pick) so probably a whole team of Diamond. No one picked Bulldozer. IO healed 180K and we lost 1:4.

• PC

@DaddyOoker said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle)

Bulldozer or not, you should be able to put Luna on point during zoning and go off with the team. Luna will cap. Not exactly fair

Luna is good on point since she heals the tanks. If I play Barik I put my turrets next to Luna and cover her with my shield, then it is not so easy to kill me without killing Luna first. 300 heal by the critter, 200 from the turret.

PS
    Just played vs IO with Platin I (being last pick) so probably a whole team of Diamond. No one picked Bulldozer. IO healed 180K and we lost 1:4.

Luna on point is fine until it's dead. Simple as that. Better to keep it behind some sort of cover until it's more or less safe to put it on point or be prepared to wait for the deploy CD.

• @DaddyOoker said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

Luna on point is fine until it's dead. Simple as that. Better to keep it behind some sort of cover until it's more or less safe to put it on point or be prepared to wait for the deploy CD.

You can call her back to safety if she is targeted. Or heal her up.

• PC

@DaddyOoker said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

You can call her back to safety if she is targeted. Or heal her up.

Yes, I know. Sometimes there is just too much damage coming in while being flanked at the same time. Such is life.

@Mubher

True, Protectors loadout would be better in that situation. But I honestly don't see many player do that. I always go for Bulldozer against Luna. I think Bulldozer need to be more expensive to get. It used to be kind of useless, but today it has its uses.

• PC

@Mubher
    bulldozer is fine, you just gotta know where to place luna somewhere she doesn't die

in any ranked I have played Io, always one enemy picked dozer 2 first round, yet I was still able to deal with it

• Yeah, I found out that build sucked shortly after posting it. Lmao should of edited it, but whatever. shrug

• My experience in ranked games and scrims with Io so far has been pleasant. I'll share my findings here:

Luna is really good early game no matter which queue you're in. In ranked games, it is especially easy to take advantage of early game by putting her on/next to point behind cover for the main tank. This will enable your team to get free cap time and create early diversion for effective flank plays should the enemy decide to focus down Luna or the main tank, whoever is on the point at the time. Keep in mind that if the enemy team is starting off with bulldozer as first item, this is to your advantage because they're throwing away early & mid-game as your heals become more effective with the absence of cauterize 1 & 2.

The 2nd round and the 2nd push phase is when enemy will start picking up bulldozer. Once one person on the enemy team has bulldozer 2 (that isn't a tank), your best bet is putting Luna behind cover NEAR the point, that way your main tank is able to effectively heal up after disengaging the point. This is going to allow you to exclusively use Moonlight on your offlane, where a majority of your team is going to be playing, and where teamfights are going to occur.

Protectors looks like a good card on paper, but in reality it's pretty bad. This card forces Luna to play next to you, and if you're using it like a defensive grohk totem, you're not getting much done. Sure, your offlane is able to sustain better early game, but that only extends to the first round, where neither team has ultimates up. If you're playing on a map like Serpent Beach, and you're running Protectors. The chances are that you are going to misposition yourself to heal the main tank, making you a really easy target to push into or flanked. (For reference you want to stay on the high ground as a support on Serpent Beach. Playing next to Sundial or in the L leeway next to sewers will inevitably get you killed should a flank or offtank push into you from either side, since your escape route is almost non-existant, and your team is cut off from all heals when you're playing for life)

Io is especially good if you're drafting for triple DPS composition. Her extra heals and utility is comparable to Pip, and your team is able to 5-man zone due to Luna being able to capture objectives. Her worst match up is against Willo, as her deadzone and general damage output on top of her ultimate makes it easy to overload her healing potential. She has similar problem to the old Celestial Touch Jenos, yes you can heal 3 people at the same time, but your whole team is vulnerable to burn strategy. This is especially apparent once the enemy team has caut 3. You can also draft Io as an offhealer, running Goddess Blessing to pocket hard-divers and those who's disengaging from the team fight.

She is a good champion to pick into a flank, since she's able to recall Luna for the stun and extra damage. If you're able to land 3 arrows and recall Luna next to you when a flank does flank you, you win the trade and get a free kill 90% of the time, because Luna stun lets you land finishing blows easily. Talus is the exception because of his DR and lifesteal cards on top of the high consistent damage, you will be forced to use your Lunar Leap or ultimate to stay alive should he flank you.

When transitioning to late game, you really want to stray away from putting Luna on the objective right away because of late game bulldozer. This is when you want to put Luna in a safe location close to the point, so your main tank knows where to back up into safely to get heals. Luna heal range is pretty forgiving too, so this isn't the hardest thing to do on most maps. Because a lot of chaos will be happening towards the last couple of rounds (ultimates up, cauterize 3, quick switches between hyper aggression and ego ults), you really really really really really need to make sure you're running Broken Diety and Spirit Arrows. I cannot stress this enough. You have to be able to move Luna again and again at the moment's notice because the flow of battle changes dramatically and incredibly fast in high MMR games. If you're running neither of them, you're signing up to lose late game.

One of the common comments I see is about Moonlight Garden vs Sanctum of Faith. The reason why you don't want to run Moonlight Garden past 3 is because supports aren't meant to hardpeek/egopeek for damage. The only exception is if you're playing offhealer Io (not what this build is about to begin with), then Moonlight Garden is favored over Sanctum of Faith. You don't play Io the way you do with Mal'Damba, Seris, Ying, or Furia. If you ever get forced out of LOS to heal because you're low on health or you ran out of Moonlight charge, you're going to inevitably fuck someone on your team over because of multiple scenarios:

• Recalling Luna denies your main tank of healing, making it easy for the enemy team to pressure him out/get a free pick
    • Hiding out of LOS means your team can't play aggressively without playing off of ultimates. If they get bursted or take more than adequate amount of damage, they're most likely to get picked than not within the next 2 seconds
    • IF you're not running Restored Faith, you're forced to out of combat heal to get your health back, and forces your team to play defensive/reactive. Very identifiable opening for the enemy team to switch into aggression and open/finish fights with ults

You can avoid all these scenarios if you ran maxed Sanctum of Faith with Restored Faith and some points into Moonlight Garden, as you're able to sustain yourself better WHILE outputting effective heals. I try to compare these three cards to Jenos running Retrograde, Astral Cycle, and Relativity. Why would you give up more healing for the sake of more potential damage? You already have 2 DPS and an offtank to deal the damage, there's no reason for you to be playing like a DPS instead of healing your teammates when you're playing the support role. It's just fundamentally wrong, and I discourage playing supports like off-healers when you're the only healer on the team, as you become insanely easy to punish in high MMR games, especially in scrims.

Hopefully this is able to clear up some confusions and provide insight into discussions in the comments section.

• @ciruchan Does Restored Faith proc every 0.15s tic of Moonlight.
    Solid approach to Io, thanks for sharing.

• PC

@Swaftbelich
    yes it does

also while the guide isn't bad, but I wouldn't play Io like that, she would suffer too much from red items, kinda like seris, so yeah there are things to be said but I haven't played Io much so I'm not the one to say it I guess

• @TangAce for sure. She's fun though.

• PC

@Swaftbelich
    she's quite strong but she probably needs a second support to truly work, like jenos with solo tank maybe?

• @TangAce i agree. she's not really a clutch "life saver" with clunky Moonlight, but when you consider the dmg she can put out and her mobility on top of her healing, its a pretty fun kit.

• @ciruchan said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

When transitioning to late game, you really want to stray away from putting Luna on the objective right away because of late game bulldozer. This is when you want to put Luna in a safe location close to the point, so your main tank knows where to back up into safely to get heals. Luna heal range is pretty forgiving too, so this isn't the hardest thing to do on most maps. Because a lot of chaos will be happening towards the last couple of rounds (ultimates up, cauterize 3, quick switches between hyper aggression and ego ults), you really really really really really need to make sure you're running Broken Diety and Spirit Arrows. I cannot stress this enough. You have to be able to move Luna again and again at the moment's notice because the flow of battle changes dramatically and incredibly fast in high MMR games. If you're running neither of them, you're signing up to lose late game.