Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle)

• Additional findings regarding previous patch (2.08 The Damned Frontier) and current patch (2.10 A Tigron's Tale):

[2.08 The Damned Frontier]
    With the Paladins World Championships around the corner, scrim teams has started running Goddess' Blessing (25% Damage Reduction applied to healed target). This became the new meta for competitive play as it gave a buff to aggressive dive/offlaning drafts and playstyles. To be successful with Io for solo support, several conditions had to be met:

• She is a priority pick, meaning that being on either side, you are looking to pick her up as first or second rotation
    • One or more aggressive offtanks like Khan, Ash, Raum, and Ruckus are drafted
    • One aggressive high-burst DPS/dive flanks like Maeve, Androxus, Evie, Bomb King, Drogoz, and Vivian are drafted
    • Final composition is able to secure victory before 3-3 scenario and full cauterize/bulldozer on 3 enemy players

Playstyle is a lot more different from one presented in this guide. One distinctive feature of DR Io is her positioning. She spents a lot more time playing aggressive, following the space her offtank is creating as she pockets the offlane DPS/flank and the offtank. The team's main tank/point tank player is forced to play "life," (another word for play the objective but whatever you do, don't die) thus you're putting all your marbles on winning the offlane. This playstyle requires execution of both comms and gameplay, putting most of the load on your shotcaller, offtank, and offlane DPS. It is because DR Io requires a lot of coordination and teamwork, she doesn't perform as well in casuals and ranked when you are soloq/duoq.

Primary loadout difference between DR Io and the Main Healer Io presented in this guide is the emphasis on the cards "Moonlight Garden" and "Swift Arrows." Since you ARE putting all your marbles in aggression, you want to reap the full reward from it. These two card does exactly that, and allows you to keep up the healing demand throughout the match. I will make sure to create a different, complete guide for DR Io in the near future.

[2.10 A Tigron's Tale]
    Same as the patch mentioned above. However, drafting dynamic has changed as the meta changed. Io is no longer early pick material as most flanks has gotten stronger and are becoming priority bans & picks. Ideally you'd pick up Io during the last 2 rotations of the drafting phase to finish off your composition. Beware of enemy draft baits, as counter-dive and deathball punishes Io very hard, and is one of the most prominent meta currently.

Given how good other supports are (Furia, Jenos, Mal'Damba) with a mix of offsupports like mega potion Pip and smoke and dagger Skye, it is unlikely Io will stay in the meta despite being a good support. It just falls under "it's good but not good as XYZ."

Hopefully this (not)necro post will shed more light on where Io fits into the puzzle in the current meta.

• PC

@ciruchan said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

Io is no longer early pick material as most flanks has gotten stronger and are becoming priority bans & picks.

One of my placements last Saturday. True about Zhin/Koga picks/bans. The IO was plat III at the time - first pick. Might be a support main since she originally was going for Furia. IO is a good choice here but I was surprised that it was first pick.

iofirst.jpg

• @ciruchan Pretty good stuff...Thanks

Only thing I am unsure on is the card selection. Not that what you said was wrong, it was all spot on but the value of nimble on IO is pretty strong IMO...

Nimble makes peeking to get that heal on someone without taking a sniper round to the face possible.
    It also makes peeking different corners easier so the enemy is less likely to be camping your peek location.
    It also makes peeking bow shots on people and not taking damage much easier.

• @shadowchess I did not see that this post was so old.

• @DaddyOoker said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

One of my placements last Saturday. True about Zhin/Koga picks/bans. The IO was plat III at the time - first pick. Might be a support main since she originally was going for Furia. IO is a good choice here but I was surprised that it was first pick.

The main reason why I said Io not being early pick material is soley because of the possibilities of counter-drafting. There's a very specific playstyle/comp when Io is drafted in scrims, thus giving the enemy team to react and change their comp immediately if picked early.

To illustrate my point, for example, since Viktor was first picked on the enemy team, and your team took Io + Bomb King. This gave the enemy team free tank priority picks, as they could have drafted Raum or Ruckus with an Androxus in their next rotation instead of Khan and Barik to force a dive comp that'll heavily pressure Io. Since you have locked in your DPS pick early on, it gave the enemy team a chance to draft their offlanes or prioritize their mids.

In a scrim environment, while the bans are the same, the draft would look something like this if we stayed true to the picks:

• Team Red first picks priority main tank, Barik as he's very strong in the current meta
    • Team Blue second rotations priority offtank + DPS, saving healer for last to avoid counter-drafting. Makoa and Bomb King
    • Team Red third rotations priority mobile and high damage DPS or Flank with healer. Androxus and Ying
    • Team Blue fourth rotations their 2nd DPS and main tank. Inara and Evie
    • Team Red fifth rotations to finish their comp. Viktor and Khan
    • Team Blue last rotations to finish their comp. Io

This simulated draft ensures that the strategy of hard pocketing of the offlane with Io pick is hidden up until the last pick, while giving you time to adjust your comp in the case there the enemy team does go for dive comp before they see what you're trying to do.

To reiterate, some of the findings in this thread won't necessarily apply due to difference in rankings and game environment. Don't be discouraged to question my understandings as this creates meaningful discussion that helps everyone learn and grow.

• Wow Ciruchan is back!

I just want to thank you for this guide 👍

• PC

@ciruchan I understand what you're saying and season 2 mostly had drafting that made sense. Now it's more like the following (for me anyway) - first pick Vivian! BTW, they asked for a sniper. We slaughtered them but the point is the drafting has changed to crazy. Maybe you should create a drafting guide. @TangAce might add it to the guides.

before.jpg

After swapping (Original Barik picker said he can't Barik - I think he just didn't want to solo front 🙂 )

after.jpg

• @DaddyOoker I don't mind writing a drafting guide if that is something people would be interested in seeing

• PC

@ciruchan said in Main Healer Io Guide (Talent, Loadout, and Playstyle):

@DaddyOoker I don't mind writing a drafting guide if that is something people would be interested in seeing

Please do. Obvious it's needed.

• PC

@ciruchan

you can totally do it, I kinda don't have much time writing guides rn because I'm busy with getting a job^^' hopefully I should have a good job soon

I haven't even updated my guides yet^^'