few ideas to fix ranked

• PC

So, after thousands of games in ranked, I can say it's pretty crappy and most of the time based on luck

First thing that has been said countless times
    Raise ranked requirement, being lvl 15 and owning 14 champs, isn't enough, when you go in ranked mode you should have at least some deck knowledge, own every champion, items knowledge, and decent gameplay, it would be good for everyone, less free loses because of a clueless player in your team, no more people picking last a moji because they don't own any support that ain't banned or picked, way less smurfs (means also way less smurf boosting), this would only do good things
    and don't tell me that new players would quit the game cause they don't want to play casual, most paladins players are only playing casual, and ranked is kinda meant for tryhard, means that you gotta play good, so that if you are new you should learn the game first
    and last, it would kinda prevent low level players reaching diamond out of sheer luck and matchmaking (because yes the matchmaking advantage a lot lower lvls players, when I first played ranked for exemple I was in platinum, and honestly I played like a silver)

Second, stop the matchmaking from making teams based on average account lvl, a lvl 500 in a team of 4 lvl 70 up against 5 lvl 200, isn't balanced at all, frustrating for the low lvls who are getting rekt, frustrating for the lvl 500 who is free losing cause of deckless players, not fun for the other team since it'll be a 4-0 free win with no interest at all

Third, same goes for ranks, average rank may be the same, doesn't mean it'll be balanced, one high diamond in a team of 4silvers against 5plats, won't be balanced, simply because playing 1v5 in a team game is impossible

Then, remove that forced 50% winrate, we all know it's here, if you play solo you'll notice that your winrate never goes far from 50% without going back to 50%, when you play duo it's a bit different but for solo players it's a nightmare

Create separate queues, a queue for solo/duo and an other queue for 5 stack, remove 3 and 4 stack from ranked, why am I saying that? because whenever there is a 3-4-5 stack in a ranked game, it's unbalanced, 90% of the time it results in a 4-0, the matchmaking tries to put parties against stronger players, but what happens is usually 4 stacks free lose, which is the most frustrating and raging thing for the unlucky solo player caught in this team, they free lose because 4 golds and a diamond can't win vs 5 solo low diamonds/high plats
    5 stack is even worse, I have played games where the lowest rank on one team was higher than the highest on the other team, I have seen masters against silvers, just because 5 stack, and if they play against people of their rank they would win because of communication
    making a separate queue would solve this, removing 3 and 4 stack because they would have to play with solo and duo which means it would still be unbalanced
    on a side note it would allow players above diamond to play in a 5 man party, which is something many players want (also is good for teams who want to train, for now they can only scrim or go in casual, which is bad since casual is well casual and not tryhard and a team training is in tryhard mode)

Create a ranked training mode, kinda like the old Classic siege, it would be great for people who don't like casual because of no bans and stuff like that, would be great for people wanting to try decks in a ranked environment, stuff like that, I mean it's kinda easy to implement and would please many players

Remove bots from ranked, a team with a bot has maybe 10% chance of win, just cancel the game after few minutes a bot is there, and give a penalty to the one who went bot of course, kinda like in ow...

eventually make a role queue, it would allow main support or tank to play what they like, and eventually not being blocked in a rank lower than they truly are

I may add more ideas to this thread, tell me what you think about all this
    I also wish ranks were more meaningful, like I'm tired of seeing D1 playing like golds, or P1 with default deck and stuff

• Solos should face other solos. with less priority of getting duos. No more priority above duos.
    Duos/trios is prioritize with duos/trios with less chance of solos.
    5 stacks should prioritize against other 5 stacks. With less priority facing combine trio+duo. Lessen the boosted accounts as 5 stacks vs solos/duos is the fastest way to reach lower Diamond/high Plat.
    4 stacks should NOT be allowed. cause it punished the 1 solo player there as that solo will get the ELO penalty given to the 4 stacks and usually the one have to carry the other 4.

Lessen the TP penalty when you lost with a bot on the team. When someone on my team crashed or rage quit, the rest of the team should not be punished as severe as them. Losing 17 TP x 3 cause of bots in 3 matches in a row is not fun. And affect my "what rank are you" algorithm

TP win loss Algorithm gotta be discussed. When you get +6TP for a win, and -17TP for a loss. It's basically saying "fk you, you won't climb!". Especially combined with 50% winrate enforcement.
    And we never given any knowledge on how much wins over losses needed to make the Algorithm think you belong in a certain rank.

• PC

@TangAce

Good luck getting anywhere with any of this...

Why not just limit ranked to max of duo parties? Once you get to diamond you are stuck with solo/duo anyway.

Also, ranked parties should not be allowed to span more than one division over the entire party composition. No more Silver with Plat or Diamond with Gold, etc. I know people are doing this to carry their buddy up but it's not a valid reason to allow it.

• PC

@DaddyOoker
    yeah I know our devs totally don't care about it but anyway
    I'm just tired of ranking down because the holy matchmaking decided I should rank down, I'm tired of getting insulted by gold players lvl 40 who have no idea how to position how to make a good loadout how to pick good items etc...

in less than a week I went from 52% winrate to 50%, considering the number of games I played...it's just impressive how unbalanced the game is, I keep getting bots, trolls, lvl 40 ish and even silvers...

it's also impressive to see how easily low lvls rank up while playing like bronze

• PC

@TangAce
    The over placing is one of the points in my placements topic.

Also they have exacerbated the smurf problem by lowering the ranked requirements. When level 29 accounts are in Diamond there's something fishy.

• Splitting up the queue for groups and solo players would double the time for matchmaking. Decreasing the range of ranks in one team would also increase the waiting time in queue a lot.

• PC

@M3RC3N4RI0 said in few ideas to fix ranked:

Splitting up the queue for groups and solo players would double the time for matchmaking. Decreasing the range of ranks in one team would also increase the waiting time in queue a lot.

Agree with first part.

Second, Is that from my comment? I want to limit the spread in a party. Ideally it would apply to team spread as well but I agree there could be problems with that.

• @TangAce

it's also impressive to see how easily low lvls rank up while playing like bronze

low levels has easier winrate percentage cause of low number of matches

• PC

@Gao-Shun said in few ideas to fix ranked:

@TangAce

low levels has easier winrate percentage cause of low number of matches

A lower match count just has more wild swings in the win rate percentage than one with a larger number of matches.

If the game is in fact creating a 50% win rate, it is more likely that it's looking back a limited number of matches than to look at your overall lifetime winrate.

This is the only way it could treat all players with any sense of fairness.

• PC

I'm talking about low lvl rank, not winrate, I see lvl 30 being D3 and yet they play default deck and life rip..

then I'd rather have a 5min queue and a fair match than a 20sec queue and a 4-0 stomp cause silver matched with diamond...

and the number of people getting boosted by their friends...

• @DaddyOoker but it gets you a higher rank faster. People who smurf already confirmed this

• @TangAce yes I know, read my explanation.
    low level = low number of matches = easier to achieve higher winrate percentage. Especially if they 5 stacks

• PC

@Gao-Shun said in few ideas to fix ranked:

@DaddyOoker but it gets you a higher rank faster. People who smurf already confirmed this

IMO, Winrate is not why smurfs get a higher rank than their "main" account.
    It's the fact that the MM tends to match low level accounts with other low level accounts - I.E. they are generally getting easier matches.
    Anyone who saw my non-sense matches of my other account as my account level was increasing could see this is what's going on.
    Once the account goes over a certain level it opens up the account to higher levels. My main account at level ~86 will match to just about anything.
    My other account being at ~56 is also mostly opened up. I'm pretty sure 30-45 is the range where things start changing.

If anything it would be worse with a forced 50% winrate for the smurfs because their winrate should be substantially higher than 50% and they would be given much more difficult matches to win.

For the sake of this, let's assume that the lifetime winrate is being used.

For a low level account player the streaks would look something like this:
    W,L,W,W,L,L,W,W,L,L,L,W,W,W,L,L,L,L,W,W,W,W
    The periods of wins vs losses starts out short but slowly increase as their match count goes up.

For a more seasoned player it would look more like this:
    W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L
    Because of the larger match count the periods of wins vs losses would be longer due to the reduced impact on the % change.

If there were no lookback limit it would end up looking like this for someone like TangAce:
    W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,W,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L,L
    The periods of win vs losses would be ridiculous.

After Tang's latest ranting about losing 300TP, maybe it's doing this after all. Extremely poor design if this is being done.

The only ones who know for sure what it's doing are the devs. I wonder if even they know.

• PC

@DaddyOoker
    oh I'm pretty sure it's like that
    I went from 1tp to master to D5 50tp in about 3days...

also about smurfs, when my smurf was low lvl I had a very easy time, now that it's around lvl 80 I start free losing everything, kinda feels like it compensate for my too high winrate, I've even had other players play on it, players far far better than me (around pml lvl actually) and they still managed to lose almost all matches in a P1/D5 elo, when they play usually in gm on their main...just saying this to show how poorly designed this is

• PC

@TangAce

Bronze is the new Grand Master - You should be there in a few more days 😱 Maybe they could add an achievement for that.

You mean 500 TP, right? I'm surprised you didn't get demoted more tiers at a time after 2 tiers worth of demotion. Is it limited in how far you can demote? Meaning you can jump up but not down. If this is true you are so screwed next split. Your ranked rating is probably close to mine now.

• PC

@DaddyOoker uh, I'm not gonna wait and stay here, I'm gonna tryhard and get to master this split lol, maybe, not sure tho

• I've only played ranked three times everything I've been playing in. I feel like I'm not very good with many champions and I'm afraid I have to pick a class that I don't know how to play it, already happened to me once and we lost because of me! But it's true that it needs a few touch-ups.

• PC

@TangAce said in few ideas to fix ranked:

@DaddyOoker uh, I'm not gonna wait and stay here, I'm gonna tryhard and get to master this split lol, maybe, not sure tho

You didn't try hard when you were 1 tp away? 💀

• PC

@DaddyOoker
    well considering that game was a 0-4 in 5.40 min... not much you can do with a lvl 45 qualifying against a smurf...

• PC

@DaddyOoker I just went from 11 wins in a row almost in master to 11 loses in a row can confirm 😞