I've already pointed this out a few times in other threads, but yes I am very very worried this particular Caut buff may actually change the meta, for the worse. It may cause a Pocket Meta.
Let me illustrate. 50 credits cheaper doesn't sound like much right? Well, it adds up. Rank 3 Caut is now cheap enough to buy with Haven 1 at the same price as Rank 3 Caut pre-update. This means that your Viktor/Vivian/Moji/Talus/even Tyra can buy Caut faster. These are all characters with the ability to consistently apply it on an enemy.
Now, what do all of these characters have in common? High damage output? Hitscan? If you guessed synergy with pocket supports, you're correct. Now that Cauterize is more readily accessible to these characters to the point that not only will they max it before mid-game, in my experience, they max it sometimes as early as 5 minutes in. Meaning 75% healing reduction, CONSTANTLY applied, for perhaps 2/3 of the match.
How do Corvus and Jenos (the pocket supports) fit in this? Well, they allow these characters to live for longer and do more damage. The former part is perhaps the bigger problem because that means not only they can stay in the fight for longer, but as a consequence, the other team will be cauted for longer. And more damage, well, that's kind of obvious how that fits.
Okay, but that's a thing that already exists. Yes, it is. But, it will be more prevalent, because of the consequences of cheaper Caut. Not only because more burst heal supports like Grover and Furia were indirectly (with Grover there's another nerf to add, but this is about Caut not on-hit and resilience) nerfed by this patch, but because of those very nerfs, the pockets of Corvus and Jenos will have even more power to deal with sustain, and wipe the floor with entire teams.
Now I've already seen evidence for this possibility. Pro players banning out Jenos and Corvus. Talus first picks in competitive... Minimal at this point I know, but it's also really early into the patch cycle. It came out yesterday.
Now that this is a feedback thread, some suggestions to fix this potential problem:
- REWORK LUMINARY. The talent is the only reason why Jenos is viable, yes, so buff his actual heals to counteract this (the amount, NOT the cooldown...). Maybe make this an actual healing talent like the old Celestial Touch.
- Nerf Grand Design. I believe they already are planning on it, but free 25% lifesteal is overpowered. I acknowledge this as a Corvus player myself. This card is overtuned, definitely. Nerf it maybe from 5% per rank to 3% per rank. 15% lifesteal isn't NEARLY as much of a potential problem.
- Put Moji's spray nerfs into the game. Moji would be little threat with them in. Should happen mid-patch, though really I hope far sooner. The spray nerfs were really what could have removed Moji from being a potential threat. But they aren't in the game. JayFlare and several other members of the AoC brought this to Evil Mojo's (and in the process in Jay's case my) attention.
- Nerf Talus' fire rate back down to what it was before. There was absolutely no good reason to buff it. I have no idea what they were even thinking when they did that...
- Nerf Vivian in a way that doesn't do next to nothing. They plan on it, but it really can't wait if the Pocket Meta happens.
- Viktor could debateably use a nerf if this meta comes to fruition, but to what I don't know.